Another carriage house plan

Dirtyhip

Don't hate me, everyone.  I am merely looking for help, suggestions and complaints.  

https://www.ultimateplans.com/Plans/451349.aspx

front of the deck faces north the left side is East and the right ride is west. We can watch the sunset from the deck quite easily.  

Instead of two doors, we want one single garage door that is tall enough for the truck to fit, like 10'.  Have the entrance to the home on the right of the garage, and you would enter a stairwell to climb up into the home. Push that 2nd bedroom to the back of the home, and put the bath in front of the bed 2.  The door to the 2nd bath would face the laundry room door.  So, you would climb the stairs from the front door and land in the living room and you can go right to the bath and dump the filthy clothes in the laundry room.  Or, strip downstairs and have a utility sink to rise off the gunk and then move them up to the laundry in a laundry bin. 

This home is still a tad big.  I would prefer closer to 1000 sq ft of living upstairs.  This home can be shrunk a little. The master bed is far too big.  I don't love the awkward jog that appears on the other side of the wall by the back stairs.  The stairs won't be there anyway.  I want them against the wall on the west side of the garage.  If we push that Bed 2 to the back wall (south), we can get a nice sunny view of Larison Mountain from both back bedrooms. Really there are mountain views in every direction from this lot. Just some are better than others. 

There needs to be a window in the "great" room @Randomguy, that faces west so we get the sunset from inside the home and the deck. Having a giant wall in the living room with no windows is stupid.  Why would I miss those views?  The two little strange windows in the master bed on the east wall have to go.  They are awkward.  That is the wall we will place the headboard.  My head facing east is a safe in regards to body energy.  No north facing headboards.  No way. 

If you guys are bored with this project. I understand.  Any contribution you already gave has been processed and spoken aloud with my wonderful husband.  

:wacko:  This way more difficult than helping @petitepedal with a car or wood floor installation.  My head is spinning.  Honestly, this is all quite terrifying.  I have rode death trail that is less scary than this.  HAHA

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Despite my comments to the contrary i like your previous plan better

Have you talked to a builder yet? This is what they do. Help you walk through scenarios. By getting in early  you can establish a rapport and truly get a custom home

I talked to one, but have not hired him.  

They do like the entire thing, engineering/draft and build.  There are only a couple of contractors within that town.  Right now, I am drilling down closer to a plan that we like, and then we can get an idea.  

Like, I don't even know how much it costs per sq. ft.  Of course it varies depending on materials.  he did tell us that 100 sq. ft is outdated and too low.  He said it could even go as high as 140 a sq. foot.  OOF! I can only assume that garage sq. ft is much cheaper than the finished home sq. footage. 

There are builders in Eugene, but I am not sure if going with someone in town proper would be more advantageous, because they are there.  The guy I talked to seemed to think this was the case, but of course, he is biased.  Adair is located in Eugene.  Someone on the same street built one, bit I have read complaints about Adair.  Poor quality, blah blah

The guy I talked to seemed very upfront and I saw his work.  My realtor said he is reputable.  

It's all a gamble. I have an architect in town here that I have worked with on previous stuff, like our garage.  Just not sure is going with a separate architect is wise or not.  Architects and builders need to work well together and I have heard this isn't always so smooth.  Like, the architect drafts something and builders can say..."well, that won't work"  etc.

Don't use Adair. Poor poor supervision. I'll tell you next time you're in town. I did see one "Green Builder" in Oakridge. Let me look. I think it was this guy. https://www.normcoyer.com/ See that picture of him with his bags on? That is a pretty good sign

I'd bet there isn't 5 builders in oakridge. But a lot of guys that say they can build your home. They are just "off the books" No license, insurance, etc. Frankly if you aren't a good fit with Norm I'd go look in Eugene. 

My office partner is talking to a couple and price range is $600/SF. That $/SF is not the be all end all. Get what you want down on paper & adjust from there

And Norm's CCB number is lower than mine! I actually had one a bit lower but when we changed to a Corp we got a new one. I like what I see there on his page

I like this one.  I like the deck shelter over the garage doors for inclement weather and I like the large deck extending the size of the great room. One very small detail about the stairs going down.  It looks like the piping under the bathroom might create some head knockers.  There is still the problem of heating the garage however.  Is this snow/cold country?

I'm not really sold on the carriage house deal, since i think it would be a pain to constantly be going up and down steps, and when you are getting older, you should be looking to more of a ranch.  Although, I do love second story picture windows, and this one does look like a pretty cool design.  But that big porch on front will shade your windows and rob he house of very desirable natural light.  But keep going - cars, floors, and houses are not bought in a day. :D  Ok, if you are team_cooter and a red MX5 RF, maybe. :)

How big is your lot and what are the setback requirements?

One thing aboot adding windows, is I think it's best of they are under an eave.  We added a sliding glass door to a wall of our house with no eave, and later when we put an addition there, it was all rotted.  We did have sort of a hack builder, and I am not an expert, so I don;t know if that was because there was no overhang to protect from rain washing down the side of the house, or just a poor installation.

I say look...look...look.. if you can physically visit houses you like...note what you like and don't like...make lists and then talk to your builder and architect...seems to me so many people think of things after they have been in  house for awhile....might also look at some of the tiny house designs regarding use of space...they do some cool things...you place doesn't have to be that small..just use some of the design aspects...

9 hours ago, Scrapr said:

@Dirtyhip, I'd interview any builders you are interested in at this point.  Getting a builder on board now is important.  They will have good advice and insight.  It shouldn't cost anything until you actually get started on the actual design.

They are just "off the books" No license, insurance, etc.

Stay away.  I'm sure you know that.

price range is $600/SF

Typo?  Can't be 600 grand for a 1,000 sf house.

11 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

@Dirtyhip, I'd interview any builders you are interested in at this point.  Getting a builder on board now is important.  They will have good advice and insight.  It shouldn't cost anything until you actually get started on the actual design.

No typo. $600 @5000 SF 3 million dollar house

He could not build DH home. Most of his projects are $2-5 million

No license, insurance, etc.

An easy way to check is to ask the builder to list you as 'additional insured' on their policy, present you the certificate before they start work, and make the insurance (and keeping it) part of the contract.

Being an 'additional insured' on the builder's policy costs about $25 to $50.  If the builder has an accident or gets hurt, and sues you, then you can turn around and hand the lawsuit the builder's own insurance company.  That way your homeowner's insurance company doesn't have to pay claims.

If the builder doesn't have insurance, he'll hem and haw and put you off, and delay presenting the certificate.  That should set off warning alarms in your head that he's likely a fly-by-night.

Again, check your local/state laws about how an additional insured status would work for you.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

An easy way to check is to ask the builder to list you as 'additional insured' on their policy, present you the certificate before they start work, and make the insurance (and keeping it) part of the contract.

Being an 'additional insured' on the builder's policy costs about $25 to $50.  If the builder has an accident or gets hurt, and sues you, then you can turn around and hand the lawsuit the builder's own insurance company.  That way your homeowner's insurance company doesn't have to pay claims.

If the builder doesn't have insurance, he'll hem and haw and put you off, and delay presenting the certificate.  That should set off warning alarms in your head that he's likely a fly-by-night.

Again, check your local/state laws about how an additional insured status would work for you.

It's  easy to check a Builders status. The Contractors Board has a website that you can plug in name and see a history of the license. There are however a lot of guys that run "off the books". Especially in rural areas where chance of getting caught is lower. As long as everything works out OK it's fine for the HO. But when tshtf is when you need the bond & insurance. And by "works out fine" I mean the building is upright when he leaves. A tail light warranty is usually included with the purchase. 

The more rural areas are a bit more casual about legalities.  If a contractor doesn't supply a CCB number on the first meet I would drop them like a hot potato. Even if he offered to supply insurance & bond. And Realtors are not necessarily a good referral source. As they have a dog in the fight. They will tell you what they want you to hear to get a sale on the books. The rural areas can and are a nest of good old boy networks. Bend is >80k people and has many symptoms of good old boy 

11 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Don't use Adair. Poor poor supervision. I'll tell you next time you're in town. I did see one "Green Builder" in Oakridge. Let me look. I think it was this guy. https://www.normcoyer.com/ See that picture of him with his bags on? That is a pretty good sign

I'd bet there isn't 5 builders in oakridge. But a lot of guys that say they can build your home. They are just "off the books" No license, insurance, etc. Frankly if you aren't a good fit with Norm I'd go look in Eugene. 

My office partner is talking to a couple and price range is $600/SF. That $/SF is not the be all end all. Get what you want down on paper & adjust from there

And Norm's CCB number is lower than mine! I actually had one a bit lower but when we changed to a Corp we got a new one. I like what I see there on his page

I talked to someone in Oakridge and they had a terrible experience with Norm.  Was told he is not great to work with and that they would never hire him again.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I talked to someone in Oakridge and they had a terrible experience with Norm.  Was told he is not great to work with and that they would never hire him again.

How about that. But his website looks so good. Not many other builders in oakridge have a web presence. Even a 4 page static site. I'd go talk to him and see if that was a one off. Then go to Eugene. 

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

How about that. But his website looks so good. Not many other builders in oakridge have a web presence. Even a 4 page static site. I'd go talk to him and see if that was a one off. Then go to Eugene. 

I have talked with Gabriel from Alpine Stream and seen his work.  We plan on speaking with Alpine Ridge as well, they have been building homes up at the golf course. My hesitation is that Gabriel's company is small.  No complaints on the BBB site, and cant find negative info about him.  We plan to stay onsite, and near when this all comes together.  About the time we plan to build, my husband and I will be taking three months off to be there almost full time.  

Web presence isn't everything.  Workmanship is.  

2 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

So, part of the home is garage and part is finished home.  Garage Sq. Ft. has got to be much cheaper than finished sq. ft.  So like half of our house is Spartan garage space. 

Maybe we will wall in the workout space, and put cadet heaters in that one room.

26 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I called Norm, when this plan was hatched.  He didn't return our call.  Bad sign right there for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, this top one vs the older bottom one (with mods)?? I think the top is best if you have a SINGLE great view - ie out over that deck. The other one might work better with more "normal" views - ie nicest over the covered deck, but then also something nice out back through the kitchen's big window.  Visually, from the outside, the older one is way more attractive.

451349-FP.jpg.3d39d6420bd06296ca062719d8a4ef76.jpg

40-595u.gif.5e4536724b68feb73f702043b0f69336.gif

Tom

On 10/21/2017 at 9:18 AM, Wilbur said:

There is a lot to like about this plan.  Primarily simplicity of construction. No leak points in the roof, a simple box design etc. That deck would really open up your living space spring through fall. Nice. 

I agree with the Wilbur on this.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Try contacting them if you have a dispute, it's amazing how they side with the business.

That's because businesses are the ones that pay their wages.  I joined once many years ago.  I was a member business for about 2 years and got nothing out of it.  None of my potential clients contacted them for info and I never had a complaint. Understand that we are B2B and not B2C.  I dropped my membership and they have hounded me annually to rejoin.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Hmmm, this top one vs the older bottom one (with mods)?? I think the top is best if you have a SINGLE great view - ie out over that deck. The other one might work better with more "normal" views - ie nicest over the covered deck, but then also something nice out back through the kitchen's big window.  Visually, from the outside, the older one is way more attractive.

451349-FP.jpg.3d39d6420bd06296ca062719d8a4ef76.jpg

40-595u.gif.5e4536724b68feb73f702043b0f69336.gif

Tom

I agree that visually the first plan is cuter from the outside.  My husband prefers the new plan.  I am indifferent, but do lean toward the one you mention.   Really, they both seem nice for me.  The views are out ever single window.  The landscape in the area is mountainous with views in every direction.  The mountains rise up in every direction.  The zone is just beautiful.  I want an additional window placed that faces the sunset side.  The deck faces the best view (overlooking salmon Creek and the mountains in the distance).  

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am glad my house came that way, even if you do have to buy two openers. 

Thanks for the input.  I mentioned it to the Murse, and he said "I am not the least bit worried about that."  He prefers one door.

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I agree that visually the first plan is cuter from the outside.  My husband prefers the new plan.  I am indifferent, but do lean toward the one you mention.   Really, they both seem nice for me.  The views are out ever single window.  The landscape in the area is mountainous with views in every direction.  The mountains rise up in every direction.  The zone is just beautiful.  I want an additional window placed that faces the sunset side.  The deck faces the best view (overlooking salmon Creek and the mountains in the distance).  

Thanks for the input.  I mentioned it to the Murse, and he said "I am not the least bit worried about that."  He prefers one door.

Maybe it is not as bad with the new lightweight steel doors.  My mothers bigass door is whacked, but then again it is probably 50 years old!

• Heart 1

The support between the garage doors might be what is holding the house up. Without it you might have to have supports in the garage. Insulate the hell out of the garage. It will still be cold upstairs. Personally, I hate casement windows. I prefer double hung windows. Casements move and creak if it's windy. It's really annoying.