I'm avoiding the grocery shopping.

airinpie

My son enjoys grocery shopping with his whole family (six kids). He was disappointed yesterday when he got home from work and suggested they all go grocery shopping. His wife said: “we don’t have the van”. He said: “oh that’s right”. The van broke down Thursday in Pittsburgh and it’s still there.

• Heart 1

I don't mind grocery shopping.  However I don't shop for children, etc.  So I can't complain. Seriously I can't:  I was raised by mother --she shopped and fed 6 children.  So I live a life of relative leisure.  I used to go shopping with mother/parents to help carry out groceries.  

I also tend to shop during times of wk. when there's less people in huge lineups.  We go to farmers' market which makes it more enjoyable also....because we usually end up having a snack. :D

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Tim Burr said:

I do this too.  I'm retired, so I can shop weekday mornings when the grocery stores are usually pretty empty.  :)

My partner took early retirement over 10 yrs. ago...  he will cycle somewhere and plan a trip to buy something that's harder to get / on longer trip that I can't find time on weekend to join him.  Usually he and I do shop together at farmers' market on weekend. But he will hit up another location during the week for something not found in market #2.  It's kind of easy flowing between he and I:  if I end up at store solo and find something I like + something else he likes, I buy it.  We don't consult each other on cell phone for shopping coordination:  I don't have a cell phone yet.    We just look at our fridge status and just buy whatever in season, staples and throw our meals together.  We don't map out grocery lists, except for the special event meals..ie. Christmas, Thxgiving, etc.

This probably works because he and I understand each other's style of cooking and which areas we meld together for fusion meals.

I should add, we are cycling to our grocery destinations...  we don't have a car. Otherwise we walk 15 min. or less with groceries or take a bus.

I enjoy it sometimes.  If I go to Wegman's giant supermarket - more than twice the size of any other supermarkets my area, I like to look at the take-and-bake or nuke kinds of meals from BBQ chicken pieces to Chinese to meat or fish+ veggie healthy stuff.

I had never heard of Honey Crisp Apples before this week and was pleased to find them at a Harris Teeter Supermarket and pleased when the cashier said, "These are the best apples!"

Yesterday, I picked up some Honey Crisp Apples and a jar of chunky peanut butter after my cousin raved about putting peanut butter on slices of those apples. They will be my snacks during the NFL games tomorrow.

There are also certain stores I go to for specific things, including ShopRite for fresh haddock filets, cheap chicken thighs and Wise BBQ Chips.  Those trips are more of a chore than fun, but it's always fun if they turn out to be on sale!

• Heart 1

My husband almost always goes for me.  He always just asks what I want, and helps plan some meals.  My only gripe is that he isn't really choosy with veggies.  We get some funky fruit sometimes.  He tends to shop at the place that is very inexpensive.  Their produce is somewhat B grade.

Went to Wegmans this morning.  I love, love, love grocery shopping.  I like to see people I know and chat.  I like to check out what is in other's people carts and then wonder if they can run a marathon or not.  I have decided that carts of sugared cereals and pop generally means people probably can't run a marathon.

I also try to see if I can avoid the aisles all together and just shop the perimeter.  I do ok unless I need black olives or oil or vinegar or flour or other basics like that.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Went to Wegmans this morning.  I love, love, love grocery shopping.  I like to see people I know and chat.  I like to check out what is in other's people carts and then wonder if they can run a marathon or not.  I have decided that carts of sugared cereals and pop generally means people probably can't run a marathon.

I also try to see if I can avoid the aisles all together and just shop the perimeter.  I do ok unless I need black olives or oil or vinegar or flour or other basics like that.

I like it too.  Seeing the food inspires me.  

Still, I appreciate the work my husband does around the home.  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I like it too.  Seeing the food inspires me.  

Still, I appreciate the work my husband does around the home.  

My hubby went with me today which was nice.  HE pushed me in the cart which was ok until he started sliding the corners race car style.  We were laughing like kids.

• Heart 3

I've done most of the grocery shopping since 1999 when I was on a year long contract job in Florida.  Cooking for one in a Residence Inn usually meant shopping every day for small quantities and it sort of became a hobby.  Now that I'm retired it just fits to do the shopping while womaxx goes to work.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I don't mind going. If I don't then I have to cook with what my wife buys.   It becomes like Iron Chef and I have to meal plan with a mish mash of ingredients.

I keep saying I'm going to take a day off and inventory the freezers so I know what we REALLY have on hand! I would cook more if I had a better idea for a starting point! I do like to get groceries, but I can only buy for a meal at a time!

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

We rarely walk down the pop, potato chip and cookies aisle.  For latter, we end up going to bakeries.

I do find overflowing contents of some people's shopping carts interesting.

Even more so, when I go to Asian supermarket. Some people eat waaaay different than I do..or my own extended /birth family.  I realize now that my mother really did buy a lot of fresh veggies from those supermarkets and very little processed food.