So what is your new "normal"?

Road Runner

28 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Will our current stuff seem as primitive as civil war era medicine seems now?

I currently have two conditions (at least) that the doctors say are "idiopathic".  Medical jargon for, "We don't know what the fuck causes it!"   :(  

The new normal has been fat and sedentary and I hope to reverse that rather miss a lot of activity as I age.

If my shoulder heals as expected by next Spring, it will be the first time in the 2000's I won't have a problem in one of my body's joints: both Achilles Tendons, hip, R. Shoulder, L. Shoulder, etc.

So I'm expecting something else to act up!

The problems have also resulted in big weight gains - getting enough exercise and proper diet to drop at least 20 lbs by next Spring is the goal there.

• Heart 1

Living cheaply, so we can see approximately what we really need to live on.  Trying to live cheaply, so we can relax more.

I have pain, if I over do it.  My face is getting more wrinkled and my hair is turning gray.  My weight is healthy with a 20 BMI score, and I am very thankful for that.  

Living the life of my dreams is a fantastic reality.  

• Heart 1

My health is good. Eyesight is holding steady. Aches and pains? Sure, but most are self-inflicted! I get teased about my gray hair mostly because I still have hair! My hearing is my biggest concern. I can hear reasonably well aside from some mild ringing from tinnitus. Biggest struggle is in a crowd. It has become increasingly difficult to enjoy company in a busy restaurant or gathering. 

Other than that, just trying to figure what our lifestyle will be like in retirement years. They are starting to look very real! We have savings in 401k, a Roth and some pension from a former employer. If Social Security still exists, we should be OK. if it doesn't, things will be a bit more interesting. 

Not riding consistently. It's been a low point considering I've been at it for over 20 years. I have to adjust and reduce effort and distance so it's in sync with the new normal. The age related deterioration of vision for things near me has been interesting. I now carry reading glasses with me.

I guess I should feel fortunate for my blessings.  My new normal is a great job that keeps me engaged, challenged but not overwhelmed. I also work with great people and actually enjoy coming to work.  I'm down 25 lbs which has lead to feeling better and I'm riding a lot so carrying good fitness.

Yeah I've given up rice, bread, pasta, potato's which has been a challenge but my weight is down as is my blood glucose so I can live with that! 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I consider it normal to keep an extra bag of frozen peas in the fridge.  Having some experience with them I can assure you that they are good for pain.

They have a pneumatic ice pack thingie I’m supposed to use on my shoulder after surgery. They must have been out of frozen peas.

My new normal is pretty cool. I wish I hadn’t screwed up my shoulder but I did it at a good time. If I had done it while I was still working that would have ended my working right then. Even after surgery I doubt I would ever be able to do that job again. My new normal is very very good.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Carrying 2 prs. of glasses because I can't wear progressives yet without getting eye pain.  I didn't need any reading/computer glasses until my early 50's. My eyesight was excellent.

I consider 5 hrs. of sleep very good....I used to sleep 8-10 hrs. straight without interuptions until I had my concussion-bike accident a few years ago.

Waking up nearly every night with a warm flush in face...hot flashes...I'm past meno.  The upside I tell myself, it feels like sleep for my body is like a light jog around the block..gets it functioning and burns off a few calories.  Fact:  Regular, sustained sleep up to 8 hr. helps regulate your weight.

I'm still approx. 100 lbs.and a tad under..still normal for me.

I am always on the verge of injury. My knees are shot. I've got a couple problems in my back, hips, and neck. Arthritis is showing in my hands with the characteristic 'knuckle bumps'. I've had some failure in connective tissue that continues to bother me in my lower back and one foot. I used to ignore pain or whatever and just rely on my ability to recover. Now days, I can only go so far and then have to stop because if I don't, I'll be laid up and suffer from the injury. While I occasionally feel a little depressed by the conditions, I usually try to accept the fact. I may be one of those people who have a difficult old age. Also, I am not the first person in the world to whine about aging. I figure, people have been coping with problems like these since the beginning.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I am always on the verge of injury. My knees are shot. I've got a couple problems in my back, hips, and neck. Arthritis is showing in my hands with the characteristic 'knuckle bumps'. I've had some failure in connective tissue that continues to bother me in my lower back and one foot. I used to ignore pain or whatever and just rely on my ability to recover. Now days, I can only go so far and then have to stop because if I don't, I'll be laid up and suffer from the injury. While I occasionally feel a little depressed by the conditions, I usually try to accept the fact. I may be one of those people who have a difficult old age. Also, I am not the first person in the world to whine about aging. I figure, people have been coping with problems like these since the beginning.

I think you pretty much summed things up for me there as well dp.  So, I guess "aging" is my new normal. :)  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I didn;t know you were old!  You look so young in your avatar!

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I am not the first person in the world to whine about aging. I figure, people have been coping with problems like these since the beginning.

Life expectancy has increased greatly over the past couple hundred years and as a result, so have age-related diseases.  In previous ages, most people didn't have to cope with the ravages of aging because they died relatively young (by our standards).  The modern benefits of medicine and health knowledge that allows us to live longer lives is a wonderful thing.  Now if we could just figure out how to make those extra years more problem/pain free and, as a result, much less distressful.  :)

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Life expectancy has increased greatly over the past couple hundred years and as a result, so have age-related diseases.  In previous ages, most people didn't have to cope with the ravages of aging because they died relatively young (by our standards).  The modern benefits of medicine and health knowledge that allows us to live longer lives is a wonderful thing.  Now if we could just figure out how to make those extra years more problem/pain free and, as a result, much less distressful.  :)

How true in terms of longer expectancy & dealing with age-related diseases.

Part of my motivation to keep relatively healthy and mobile-fit, is to reduce the number of different diseases due to age/other. So that complications are less and hopefully chronic pain is less. My rehab for concussion (another cyclist crashed into me) took 6 months. I was unconscious for several hrs. in the hospital. It was a slow process to walk unaided, to walk not dizzy and then later, to get back onto the bike 5 months later. I did have physiotherapy and saw a sleep doctor to deal with sleep issues.  The accident was an enormous lesson to myself: because I was already fit, it was easier for me to regain normal mobility.

I have fallen my bike off a total of 8 times in past 24 yrs., with nearly all the falls in slow-mo on ice except for this collision. I actually don't like falling off my bike and am amazed to see young folks just race, fall off bike, etc.

I am really a strong proponent of eating relatively healthy:  my father died of prostrate cancer @85 yrs.  He was diagnosed 7 years before.  It was controlled in other ways. He had a high quality of life (term used by my physician-sister).   He only had chemotherapy as last resort 5 months before he died...and not surprisingly chemo weakens very old people.  He had no respiratory, cardiovascular problems no major joint(arthritis) problems aside from the cancer.  This is a guy who didn't have an exercise regime except he had a job working as a restaurant cook before retirement, which means standing on feet.  He ate healthy for the whole of his life.  This inspiration why to stay healthy exists in my own family.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have fallen my bike off a total of 8 times in past 24 yrs

Five for me.  Three of which required hospitalization and/or surgery.  Some of my current ailments are directly related to those crashes.  I look at other people in my neighborhood that do nothing in terms of exercise and eat much worse than I do.  Yet they seem to be in better health than me.  I have even had to enlist their help when I have been recovering from bike accidents.  :huh:

I truly think I should have just become a walker when my knees would no longer allow me to run.  I think I would be in much better health today if I had never started riding regularly 14 years ago.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Five for me.  Three of which required hospitalization and/or surgery.  Some of my current ailments are directly related to those crashes.  I look at other people in my neighborhood that do nothing in terms of exercise and eat much worse than I do.  Yet they seem to be in better health than me.  I have even enlisted their help when I have been recovering from bike accidents.

I truly think I should have just become a walker when my knees would no longer allow me to run.  I think I would be in much better health today if I had never started riding regularly 14 years ago.

At least you have gotten a lot of joy out of it. Biking is a lot more fun and invigorating than walking. Both have their places though. So even though we ride "safety" bicycles, I always wonder if it wouldn't be better to be close to the road like a bent. But visibility of the cyclist has to be an issue there. 

Most likely Road Runner, you might have been motivated in a different way, even a part of your character abit different if you hadn't cycled for 14 yrs.

Anyway, as a cyclist I was never fast.  In my 30's, going at 28 km/hr. on flats was considered fast for me.  All my bikes are hybrids and 1 folding bike for the last 25 yrs. I've never had dropped handlebars and have no interest to try to bike in a dropped handlebar position. 

Now, my physiotherapist, warns me not to lean forward too much and cock up my head, because it's not good for the neck muscles and joints. It is not a naturally normal position for the neck. (She herself is a commuting cyclist for many years and understands about cycling position. She has treated cyclists over the years.)   I had an issue where I slept wrong and hurt my neck muscles.  It took over 1 month to heal. When I tried cycling, the jarring from bumps gave me headaches so I had to ease off for a few wks.  Which worked. I also went on a pillow hunt and finally found the right pillow with right filling density which shapes around my head/neck when I lie down. I'm very happy...and this was a 2 yr. long search!

I'd like to believe that when 1 exercise needs to be replaced with another over time, that is the biggest win/lesson for us long-term:  We know how much we have benefitted from exercise #1, we will look for #2 where we can do it easily and willingly without much thought.  We will try and not give up.  Also another win.

One of my current problems is bone loss.  I hope you people are ensuring that you are getting ample amounts of calcium in your diets and that you are doing regular load bearing exercises (walking, running, weights).  For many years, I pretty much ignored calcium and concentrated on certain vitamins and proteins in my diet.  Riding a bike as my main exercise and not getting enough calcium has probably resulted in my current condition of low bone density.

About 1200 mg of calcium per day is good.  Also, calcium from food works better than calcium from supplements, according to what I have read.

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

One of my current problems is bone loss.  I hope you people are ensuring that you are getting ample amounts of calcium in your diets and that you are doing regular load bearing exercises (walking, running, weights).  For many years, I pretty much ignored calcium and concentrated on certain vitamins and proteins in my diet.  Riding a bike as my main exercise and not getting enough calcium has probably resulted in my current condition of low bone density.

About 1200 mg of calcium per day is good.  Also, calcium from food works better than calcium from supplements, according to what I have read.

I thought I read somewhere that calcium absorption is tricky, and that milk for instance, is probably overplayed as far as providing useful calcium.  We have osteoporosis in the fambly so you;re :flirtyeyess:right, this is an important issue.  My mother is big on dark leafy greens but not dairy, and she is at biggest risk with the undiluted osteoporosis gene from her mother who suffered greatly from it.

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I thought I read somewhere that calcium absorption is tricky

Vitamin D is important in calcium absorption.  I should have mentioned that in my previous post.  I take 2000 IUs of D3 with my 750 mg calcium supplement.  Dark greens are good, but don't provide the significant amounts of calcium that is needed daily.  Milk, cheese, and calcium supplemented juices such as orange and grape juice are excellent sources of calcium.  Also, some breads and beans are excellent.

On a side note, beans may be the perfect food, if you can tolerate them.  :)

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I have fallen my bike off a total of 8 times in past 24 yrs., with nearly all the falls in slow-mo on ice except for this collision. I actually don't like falling off my bike and am amazed to see young folks just race, fall off bike, etc.

I've crashed around 8 times this season. :D

24 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I've crashed around 8 times this season. :D

Best wishes, DH.

I'm 58 and have no interest in inviting more crashes for myself. Just cycling after all these years, surprises others who know me.  By the way, my parents never knew I had a concussion. I just knew it was pointless not to get them worried.

A concussion will change one's perspective. I was unconscious for several hrs. in the hospital initially. I can't watch football, boxing, MMA without thinking someone will be affected...for life.  It doesn't even require head impact of anything. It is very sudden jerking of the head..alone can cause a concussion.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Best wishes, DH.

I'm 58 and have no interest in inviting more crashes for myself. Just cycling after all these years, surprises others who know me.  By the way, my parents never knew I had a concussion. I just knew it was pointless not to get them worried.

A concussion will change one's perspective. I was unconscious for several hrs. in the hospital initially. I can't watch football, boxing, MMA without thinking someone will be affected...for life.  It doesn't even require head impact of anything. It is very sudden jerking of the head..alone can cause a concussion.

It isn't like I enjoy crashing or want to.  It is just the nature of my sport.  I do try to stay within my limits.  I avoid most gap jumps and I have a healthy respect for drops larger than about 6 feet.  The big drops I will take are set up well, and are easy to boost off.  I like to use the term calculated risk.  ;)

I had had a few concussions.  I just love mountainbiking and the thrill I get from a healthy dose of fear.  I get off on adrenaline and speed.  Almost better than sex.  HAHA

I do go slower on paved descents these days. Going close to 50 mph on a road bike, is only a part of my past.  It's a bit too fast, IMHO. 

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think you pretty much summed things up for me there as well dp.  So, I guess "aging" is my new normal. :)  

Welcome Donk.  Welcome Wilbur.  Have you guys even hit 60 yet.  ;)  I'm here to tell you that things do not necessarily get better.  You learn to cope with certain things, not do other things and take life a bit more gracefully.

• Heart 1