So what is your new "normal"?

Road Runner

31 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It isn't like I enjoy crashing or want to.  It is just the nature of my sport.  I do try to stay within my limits.  I avoid most gap jumps and I have a healthy respect for drops larger than about 6 feet.  The big drops I will take are set up well, and are easy to boost off.  I like to use the term calculated risk.  ;)

I had had a few concussions.  I just love mountainbiking and the thrill I get from a healthy dose of fear.  I get off on adrenaline and speed.  Almost better than sex.  HAHA

I do go slower on paved descents these days. Going close to 50 mph on a road bike, is only a part of my past.  It's a bit too fast, IMHO. 

Most doctors with experience in treating concussions will tell one:  One never gets better from multiple concussions.  The damage is cumulative to the brain.  It isn't about getting "stronger" head wise.  The best way to view concussion:  it is a form of head injury.  Because it really is.

I still bike and hope to for a long time DH. I haven't mountain biked at all.  I've also had women come to me and tell me how they envy me cycling...because they don't know how to bike or are trying to later in life as an adult.  It makes me realize JUST cycling with ease is a blessing.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Most doctors with experience in treating concussions will tell one:  One never gets better from multiple concussions.  The damage is cumulative to the brain.  It isn't about getting "stronger" head wise.  The best way to view concussion:  it is a form of head injury.  Because it really is.  1 sister works at a hospital that is doing joint research with other hospital in Toronto on concussions.  Another sister is an emergency medicine doctor...she sees enough concussions.  Plus there is a lot in the news about football players and hockey players with their lawsuits, early deaths and donating their brain to research.  

I still bike and hope to for a long time DH. I haven't mountain biked at all.  I've also had women come to me in person over the years and tell me how they envy me cycling...because they don't know how to bike or are trying to, later in life as an adult.  It makes me realize JUST cycling for many years, with ease, is a blessing.  

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Most doctors with experience in treating concussions will tell one:  One never gets better from multiple concussions.  The damage is cumulative to the brain.  It isn't about getting "stronger" head wise.  The best way to view concussion:  it is a form of head injury.  Because it really is.

I still bike and hope to for a long time DH. I haven't mountain biked at all.  I've also had women come to me and tell me how they envy me cycling...because they don't know how to bike or are trying to later in life as an adult.  It makes me realize JUST cycling with ease is a blessing.

I don't disagree that concussions are not a good thing.  I'm living the way I want to live and I will die however I will die.  

I'm gonna slide into the end zone screaming, that was an incredible ride.  I've got maybe ten years left of decent schralp.  I may slow down at 60.  At that point, my rides might look like cruising down to the creek to fish for trout.  I like to hope that I will still surprise some youngsters.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I'm just 2 yrs. away from 60 and already have impressed some youngster folks. And I don't consider myself an athlete since I've never competed in bike events/races. I just join in occasional group rides (which I'm not keen to be around lots of cyclists nearby) and do rest of cycling solo or with partner or 1 friend. 

I don't live in Portland/Oegon where weather is milder,and for a nearly 60 year old woman who does a lot of her grocery shopping by bike, is not normal /common in our prairies area.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm just 2 yrs. away from 60 and already have impressed some youngster folks. And I don't consider myself an athlete since I've never competed in bike events/races. I just join in occasional group rides (which I'm not keen to be around lots of cyclists nearby) and do rest of cycling solo or with partner or 1 friend. 

I don't live in Portland/Oegon where weather is milder,and for a nearly 60 year old woman who does a lot of her grocery shopping by bike, is not normal /common in our prairies area.

The weather isn't really mild in my city.  It snowed yesterday. I live in a higher elevation.  The morning commutes are harsh.

You are in good shape.  That is a great thing.  

I consider myself an athlete.  Not an elite one though.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The weather isn't really mild in my city.  It snowed yesterday. I live in a higher elevation.  The morning commutes are harsh.

You are in good shape.  That is a great thing.  

I consider myself an athlete.  Not an elite one though.

I think you are an athlete.  I'm not --I simply love cycling and enjoy the sensation it gives me daily..or whenever I can bike if weather permits.

Our normal winter temperatures are approx. -15 to -20 degrees C.  -10 degrees C in Calgary is considered mild. Our air is dry.  We do get several days -30 to -40 degrees C every winter.  It is danger zone, meaning frostbitten cheeks and ears really need to be avoided at all costs.  There are people who go 900 km. north to work or further in the Arctic to work...and it's not just the money:  they know the weather and what to expect.  I see road paving crews working at -20 degrees C in winter in city.

(Calgary is 1,000 metres higher than Vancouver BC ...even though we are the prairies. A number of the Canadian Olympic athletes train in our area..winter and summer sports. Jogging/running marathons is a good start in our area before coping with higher humidity/lower elevations in Ontario, Vancouver area. Every time I return to Vancouver to bike, I notice even moderate frequent cycling in Calgary, gives me more stamina for Vancouver than I realize.) 

In Vancouver it is unheard of to work at those low winter temp.  Vancouver falls apart when it snows @-10 degree C. I should know: I worked at a major road bridge construction site and our work crews didn't work when it snowed with -10 degrees C.  I went to work in the office where I normally did. I found it strange since I lived and worked in southern Ontario before moving to Vancouver.

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I think you are an athlete.  I'm not --I simply love cycling and enjoy the sensation it gives me daily..or whenever I can bike if weather permits.

Our normal winter temperatures are approx. -15 to -20 degrees C.  -10 degrees C in Calgary is considered mild. Our air is dry.  We do get several days -30 to -40 degrees C every winter.  It is danger zone, meaning frostbitten cheeks and ears really need to be avoided at all costs.  There are people who go 900 km. north to work or further in the Arctic to work...and it's not just the money:  they know the weather and what to expect.  I see road paving crews working at -20 degrees C in winter in city.

(Calgary is 1,000 metres higher than Vancouver BC ...even though we are the prairies. A number of the Canadian Olympic athletes train in our area..winter and summer sports. Jogging/running marathons is a good start in our area before coping with higher humidity/lower elevations in Ontario, Vancouver area. Every time I return to Vancouver to bike, I notice even moderate frequent cycling in Calgary, gives me more stamina for Vancouver than I realize.) 

In Vancouver it is unheard of to work at those low winter temp.  Vancouver falls apart when it snows @-10 degree C. I should know: I worked at a major road bridge construction site and our work crews didn't work when it snowed with -10 degrees C.  I went to work in the office where I normally did. I found it strange since I lived and worked in southern Ontario before moving to Vancouver.

You are awesome.

When you talk C temps, I am thrown. Math is much harder than pulling off a sick jump. hahaha 

We drop into negative temps every winter. It's not too bad here though. I have a coat fetish. :loveshower:

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are awesome.

When you talk C temps, I am thrown. Math is much harder than pulling off a sick jump. hahaha 

We drop into negative temps every winter. It's not too bad here though. I have a coat fetish. :loveshower:

-40 is a temperature where the Celcius and Fahrenheit scales agree.