Work rant and a talk about respect for others

Dirtyhip

So, we have these cyber keys.  They are about $100 to replace.  The people I work with can be very forgetful.  They constantly forget their key. 

Usually, I never let people borrow the key to unlock their office or whatever.  I almost always walk with them and then come back to my desk with my key in hand.  Well, it was busy and I let my guard down.  One of the ladies needed to unlock the conference room.  I handed her my key.

Now the story becomes asinine.  I was away from my desk (my desk is in a general zone with no protections.  She put the key on my desk, while I was away.  When I asked her about it, she said I gave it back to you.  I put it on your desk. Then she pointed.  "I put it right there," she said.  I tell her, it is not here now.  She then says "I think someone used it to unlock their door."  I asked her "Who used it?"  Now the even more ridiculous part, she said she doesn't know who it was that used it.

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

My eyes burned her with the fire of a thousand suns, when she said that. 

Then, I sent out an email to all the people I help manage.  I get 3 replies out of 23 recipients.  My key seems to be gone.  I hope it turns up.  I called my boss and told her the scenario, and said that if I am asked to pay for this key, I am going to refuse.  She agreed that this should not be held against me, due to the circumstances.  She also agreed that some of our people are ridiculously irresponsible with their own keys, like, forgetting them on a daily basis.  

Now the sad part.  My Fly Racing lanyard was on it.  You might say that  lanyard is a dumb thing to be upset about, but that lanyard was mopar green and I was given it during the 2015 Oregon Enduro series.  Everytime I see it, it reminds me of that incredible accomplishment.  I hope it turns up on Monday.  This is total bullshit.

Luckily, I don't keep my house, car keys or my krypto lock key on it.  I used to, but changed that habit. If I had left that krypto key on there, my commuter bike would still be sitting up at work.  You cant get those off without hacksawing them off.

People are so disrespectful, it is maddening.

NEVER AGAIN.  You can't trust people.

and if I find out who took it, OY!  I plan to give them a piece of my mind for the stress that they caused me.

My lanyard:

https://www.ebay.com/i/332411682988?chn=ps&dispItem=1

:(

I bet Mooseknuckle has it in his DH shrine he has in his secret closet at home.  By any chance do you have a "self cleaning" hairbrush in your desk?

we have the same thing with swipe cards.  I learned the hard way to walk and unlock.  Mine went missing one time, turned up a week later when someone found it under their desk.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I bet Mooseknuckle has it in his DH shrine he has in his secret closet at home.  By any chance do you have a "self cleaning" hairbrush in your desk?

we have the same thing with swipe cards.  I learned the hard way to walk and unlock.  Mine went missing one time, turned up a week later when someone found it under their desk.  :angry:

I don't think MK took it. I have a couple of suspects, but no one for sure.

Self cleaning hair brush?  I don't get the reference.

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

He takes the hair out of it for you, for his "DH" stand-in(sex doll)

There is an old saying that if you have to explain a joke, it wasn't funny. sorry.  

Yikes.  

LOL, he leaves me bike magazines all the time on my desk.  Sadly, one of them is Bicycling Magazine, which is boring recycled articles constantly.  I do enjoy the MTB action though.  

He subscribes to them, and then he brings them to me. It's a nice gesture.  He isn't an evil person.  He is just attention seeking and a bit obtuse.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am easily irritated at people who are not responsible and expect others to take care of them all the time.

If I had a dollar, for every time they came in and said "Can you unlock my office... I forgot my key?" 

And from now on, when I am on the phone or in the middle of another fire, I am going to say "You can wait, until I am done with what I am doing (phone or immediate concern)."  If they do not like it or don't want to wait, I am going to suggest that they can call security to let them in, or talk to their boss, who has a key to their office.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am easily irritated at people who are not responsible and expect others to take care of them all the time.

Yeah, like don't you just hate working with teachers? They can be the worst. ;)

(worked in EDU IT for over a decade as you know. Still remember the ones that couldn't reboot before calling or check if the janitor pulled the power cable to run their vacuum; multiple times.)

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

If I had a dollar, for every time they came in and said "Can you unlock my office... I forgot my key?" 

And from now on, when I am on the phone or in the middle of another fire, I am going to say "You can wait, until I am done with what I am doing (phone or immediate concern)."  If they do not like it or don't want to wait, I am going to suggest that they can call security to let them in, or talk to their boss, who has a key to their office.

Just hang a sign on your desk: "Office Door Unlocks: $5.00"

Then satisfy your coffee budget.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Why can't IT find out who used it last?

Yeah that was my question.  Actually my question is what happens after someone loses their key?  Is the key deactivated?  The key should be coded to you so whomever uses that key it will show as you.    Your IT or whomever issues and manages the keys can query the key use. If it's used to open Darryl's office then you know who has it.

This issue ties into my former life and key control is huge. People lost jobs for losing keys repeatedly and in certain environments one lost key = a lost job.  Actually in some of the places I worked loaning a key = lost job... 

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah that was my question.  Actually my question is what happens after someone loses their key?  Is the key deactivated?  The key should be coded to you so whomever uses that key it will show as you.    Your IT or whomever issues and manages the keys can query the key use. If it's used to open Darryl's office then you know who has it.

This issue ties into my former life and key control is huge. People lost jobs for losing keys repeatedly and in certain environments one lost key = a lost job.  Actually in some of the places I worked loaning a key = lost job... 

Oh, you are gonna love this.  They have these smart keys, but don't seem to be able to control them.  So, check this out.  I called security and was like, you better shut down my key. My key is gone and I don't know who took it.  This is like a master key.  They told me that it can't be shut down.  WTF? They can only have it turn off, as of Sunday night, when it resets it's internal brain and it has to be programmed.  So basically, you lose a key and it can be erroneously used until Sunday.  There is no way to shut it down.  Insane, right?

Also, I realized that it was not coming back to me at about 4:30 on a Friday.  I intend to ask them to track the last door use, but that will have to happen Monday.  Oh I can't wait to find out, so my eyes can burn them with the fire of a thousand suns. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Oh, you are gonna love this.  They have these smart keys, but don't seem to be able to control them.  So, check this out.  I called security and was like, you better shut down my key. My key is gone and I don't know who took it.  This is like a master key.  They told me that it can't be shut down.  WTF? They can only have it turn off, as of Sunday night, when it resets it's internal brain and it has to be programmed.  So basically, you lose a key and it can be erroneously used until Sunday.  There is no way to shut it down.  Insane, right?

Also, I realized that it was not coming back to me at about 4:30 on a Friday.  I intend to ask them to track the last door use, but that will have to happen Monday.  Oh I can't wait to find out, so my eyes can burn them with the fire of a thousand suns. 

Wow, just wow... I've never heard of such a thing.  We could always kill a key/card in seconds... My guys used to F with me as they would see me approaching a building on CCTV and kill my key.  I'd flip off the camera and viola it would work.  I'd come in and the control center operators would be laughing their asses off.

Fuckers... It was funny just that I was the butt of the joke.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Wow, just wow... I've never heard of such a thing.  We could always kill a key/card in seconds... My guys used to F with me as they would see me approaching a building on CCTV and kill my key.  I'd flip off the camera and viola it would work.  I'd come in and the control center operators would be laughing their asses off.

Fuckers... It was funny just that I was the butt of the joke.

This is similar to what we use.  They are horrible.  You have to use them just right, or the doors will not unlock.  Y'know, like a quirky lock core where you have to jiggle the key.  It amazes me that we continue with this system.  It doesn't work well at all.

http://www.cybersecuritysource.com/

Irresponsible employees?

Oh I got stories.

Brand new gasoline powered concrete saw, $1000. It takes the gas/oil mix. We have the mix in a nearby can. They run the first tank out and go find a random can with just gas in it. Saw grinds to a halt before the end of the second tank of gas. 

45 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I relate that to holding your mouth just right when you put the worm on the hook, otherwise, you will not catch the fish.:whistle:

Another way of looking at what she did is like... returning a tool you borrowed from a friend, by placing it on their porch, when they are not home.  It gets stolen and you're like, "But I returned it on your porch."

:blink: I am constantly finding keys or unlocking doors...but being 80+ or memory impaired doesn't count...:whistle:  It is all in a days work for me...and NO I never give my keys out...we have loaner keys..Also I can kill a key pretty quickly...  I AM in Charge...no IT or Security...just me... I have a couple of folks...I just recognize their key chain by the charm on it...and I go looking for them..

Make em hurt DH...but leave no marks :D

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

:blink: I am constantly finding keys or unlocking doors...but being 80+ or memory impaired doesn't count...:whistle:  It is all in a days work for me...and NO I never give my keys out...we have loaner keys..Also I can kill a key pretty quickly...  I AM in Charge...no IT or Security...just me... I have a couple of folks...I just recognize their key chain by the charm on it...and I go looking for them..

Make em hurt DH...but leave no marks :D

Yeah, I made a mistake trusting someone.  I have let people use my key like maybe 3 times in the last 7 years.  This time it bit me.  I hope she learned a lesson.  I know I did. 

She just used it to unlock a door that was 25 feet away from my desk, while I was on a phone call.  

46 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Another way of looking at what she did is like... returning a tool you borrowed from a friend, by placing it on their porch, when they are not home.  It gets stolen and you're like, "But I returned it on your porch."

I should have been clearer, as I was referencing your comment:  "This is similar to what we use.  They are horrible.  You have to use them just right, or the doors will not unlock.  Y'know, like a quirky lock core where you have to jiggle the key."

Relative to your problem, I would be concerned with anything left on your desk in a highly traveled area with students involved.