Awesome Ride Today

ChrisL

My brother lives near the recent burn areas so our favorite mtn bike trails are off limits.  I took him to ride the "Fullerton Loop" which is a well known route in Orange County.  It's an odd ride in that it's mostly in residential areas on horse/dirt trails that are surprisingly challenging in spots.  I haven't ridden it in over a year and there are two hills that I've never been able to climb without taking a break.  Today I crushed both of them, actually I cleared them both with very little difficulty at all which was really cool.  One is a super short but steep section with lots of tree roots to get your wheels over.  I think losing weight really helped me get over the roots as I always struggle on that section.  I can always do it but then need to stop to catch my breath before continuing on up the hill that is still steep but no roots. 

My bro doesn't have the same level of fitness I do so I had to wait on him several times but I could have easily done the 11 mile loop without stopping at all which I've never done before.  I'll have to go crush it after work this coming week!   

• Heart 4

We went to camp today so I could ride flat roads and HoSmudge could replenish deer corn supply. 

I rode 9.56 miles. It was good. For part of the ride I had a couple plastic bags and picked up beer cans along the road. Bleh! I dropped those off at camp and continued on my ride. I met up with a few short hills, but the knee managed to pedal on up.

One area had an amazing red field. We are wondering if it's super red this year because of a fire earlier this year. Don't know, but it sure is pretty!

red1.jpg.b50b3b19c90c2184667e08902901f951.jpg

I thought this little guy was pretty too. Long way away from the red field. This one is actually more orange than my phone could handle. 

ora.thumb.jpg.4004686f5ed438a31a4259097382abd6.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

We went to camp today so I could ride flat roads and HoSmudge could replenish deer corn supply. 

I rode 9.56 miles. It was good. For part of the ride I had a couple plastic bags and picked up beer cans along the road. Bleh! I dropped those off at camp and continued on my ride. I met up with a few short hills, but the knee managed to pedal on up.

One area had an amazing red field. We are wondering if it's super red this year because of a fire earlier this year. Don't know, but it sure is pretty!

red1.jpg.b50b3b19c90c2184667e08902901f951.jpg

I thought this little guy was pretty too. Long way away from the red field. This one is actually more orange than my phone could handle. 

ora.thumb.jpg.4004686f5ed438a31a4259097382abd6.jpg

I am so happy you are getting better.  YAY!

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

so I had to wait on him several times

I think this is the most awesome part of the ride - that you waited for your brother, and put aside setting your own 'PR' for another day so that you could ride with him today.

Riding without stopping speaks to a level of fitness physically.  Stopping to wait so you could keep riding together with your brother speaks to a level of fitness in character.

• Awesome 1