The national anthem is a crappy song

Randomguy

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It really has no beat to it, it is overly drawn out, and you just can't dance to it.  No oomph at all.

It had to be said.

Super patriotic.  I hate the artistic licence afforded to singers of it.  Sing the song, get off the stage and get on with the game.  No one came here to listen to you.  

21 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Years ago, there was a big push on to get the anthem changed to "America, The Beautiful".  I actually thought it was going to happen at the time.  Not sure why that failed.  Tradition is a powerful force.

Nobody is tapping their toes to either song.

Tradition is stupid, I often say.  Things done only for the sake of tradition need to go.

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I think the objection to the "Star Spangled Banner" was that it was perceived by some as a song about war.  Many thought "America The Beautiful" was a better representation of what America is about.

<snort>

Frankly I'll always remember the Hendricks version at Max Yasgur's Farm.

"Buy No Milk. Stop Max's Hippy Music Festival",

11 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I think the objection to the "Star Spangled Banner" was that it was perceived by some as a song about war. 

I am guessing that a very large portion of the population has absolutely no idea what the song is about, they just know of it in a peripheral way.   "Dammit, Cletus, put yer hand on yer dang chest and stand when they play that 'Merica song, lest you be like them negro football players that don't know shit about respectin' the country that done gave you freedom." 

Plus, the music was ripped off, pretty completely, from another British song, to Anacreon in Heaven, which I read about the other day.  Yes, this is the actual song and lyrics, written by brits, that is now used as the music for our national anthem.