The old boss has become a frequent caller..

Wilbur

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We have spoken more in the past week that in the past 3 years. 

Even though I have resigned and accepted another position, he wants another shot at retaining my services and wants to speak on Tuesday.. 

He should have been paying attention to my pay requests three years ago. 

When he needs something from you, you are his best friend.  When you needed something from him, what happened?

Assume supply and demand revert back to previous conditions.  "Wilbur, we are gonna need you to take a pay cut/let you go".

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

and wants to speak on Tuesday

It won't cost you anything to have a professional conversation with him. 

The best thing about professional conversations is you can be polite, respectful, listen intently to his each and very word, and then promise to give his proposals 'every serious consideration' while maintaining a pleasant demeanor and perhaps even offer a kindly smile to his newly-generous terms.

And all the while saying "You dickbag!" to him in your thoughts, knowing he can't offer a damn thing that will change your plans.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I was once told that I was indispensable to the wellfare of the company and that no one could handle the responsibilities that I carried.  6 months later they laid me off and much to my chagrin, They are still in business 5 years later and profitable to boot.  They simply did away with the products I supported.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It won't cost you anything to have a professional conversation with him. 

The best thing about professional conversations is you can be polite, respectful, listen intently to his each and very word, and then promise to give his proposals 'every serious consideration' while maintaining a pleasant demeanor and perhaps even offer a kindly smile to his newly-generous terms.

And all the while saying "You dickbag!" to him in your thoughts, knowing he can't offer a damn thing that will change your plans.

This is how I normally handle this type of thing. :)  I once had a boss that told me we would break rules if we wanted to work for him.  I told him I will break rules all day long if he immediately deposits 5 million dollars in my bank account.  That obligation ceases when the regulators suspend my licence.  He didn't bite. :)  

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Re-signing bonus would be an "in the bank" gesture of appreciation on top of a higher annual salary, if you were at all inclined to go back.

Exactly.   The guy is actually really easy to work for, the aircraft is nice and very well maintained.  The destinations are nice now that we don't do Moldova and Russia and the schedule was not difficult.  None of those things move me closer to a sailboat in the South Pacific though.  Show me the money. :) 

Just now, tybeegb said:

I say continue on your decision to leave.  It's not just the pay, you can't put a price tag on the stress caused to you trying to decide which way to go, and who is to say it won't repeat if you go back. 

That is my plan exactly.  Unless he did pay a sizeable signing bonus, I would never feel secure. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

He is starting to realize there is a real shortage of qualified and experienced pilots.  Now, he has none and there are very few contractors available. 

Well, then maybe he should have gone to school and done his homework.

Are you happy where you are now?  If so, tell him the ship has sailed.  If not, make a demand and get it in writing.

• Heart 1

On 10/22/2017 at 12:10 PM, Wilbur said:

We have spoken more in the past week that in the past 3 years. 

Even though I have resigned and accepted another position, he wants another shot at retaining my services and wants to speak on Tuesday.. 

He should have been paying attention to my pay requests three years ago. 

I gotta say, and I'm not too deeply invested in the background story, but I thought this was about changing positions due to some age restrictions, not a pay issue.  Or was a different thread???

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I gotta say, and I'm not too deeply invested in the background story, but I thought this was about changing positions due to some age restrictions, not a pay issue.  Or was a different thread???

Tom

There were multiple reasons to move on.  The age issue was because we operate commercially in the US and Europe for tax purposes.  Commercially, I could only work for 7 more years, 2 as a Captain, then a downgrade to FO.   The new guy only operates privately so there is no age restriction for me.  I hope not to explore those outer age boundaries though, which is where the money comes into play. :) 

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Well, it is over..  He made another offer.  It was substandard financially so I told him no for the final time.  He asked if I would fly contractually for him as it fit in my new employers schedule.  Sure, I will do that.  Done!

I always wonder why employers never know what they have until it's gone.

The only answer I can think of is that they took all their staff for granted in the first place.  Way more common than it should be.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

I always wonder why employers never know what they have until it's gone.

The only answer I can think of is that they took all their staff for granted in the first place.  Way more common than it should be.

I always said I wanted to protest at The American Management Association. :D

Of course I would probably wind up at The American Motorcycle or The American Medical Association office instead. :huh:

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I always said I wanted to protest at The American Management Association. :D

Of course I would probably wind up at The American Motorcycle or The American Medical Association office instead. :huh:

You're better off donating to agencies that counsel narcissistic personality disorder.

• Awesome 1