The key saga

Dirtyhip

Still nothing.

I am asking to run a trace on the last door used. 

<sigh>

...and the woman that dumped it on my empty desk didn't even offer up to help pay for it, if in the event I was going to get dinged for it.  She is done, in my eyes.  My relationship with her has now drastically changed. I've lost respect for her.

I asked her again this morning.  She had said that she saw someone use it.  Again, I asked her who it was.  She said she didn't know.  I said was it a man or a woman?  Again, she said, I can't remember.

LAME!!!!!!!!

I let someone unlock a conference room, with my cyber key, while I was on the phone.  Then, they "returned" my key on my empty desk, and someone swiped it.

When I asked about what happened with it, she said "Someone used it to unlock their office, I think."  I asked her who, and she didn't know who it was.  

I don't  know who the F runs your key system..but logging into our system is the most complicated part about deactivating a key fob...looking up when it was last used takes a bit more time...but only because I don't get calls to do that very often...

Your security should be able to read when it was swiped and what door..in at most 15 min

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I don't  know who the F runs your key system..but logging into our system is the most complicated part about deactivating a key fob...looking up when it was last used takes a bit more time...but only because I don't get calls to do that very often...

Your security should be able to read when it was swiped and what door..in at most 15 min

It isn't a swipe.  It's a cyber key that you insert in a lock core. 

I was told they can't run a search, without the FOB?  WTF?

They can search who opened a door, by looking at a specific office number.  This system makes no sense, or the people are idiots.

25 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Wow.  That sucks.  Have you been approached by higher-ups about it?

No, but I talked to my supervisor about it.  I told her that due to the circumstances, I refuse to pay if I am asked to.  This was the fault of the employee that didn't really give it back to me.  She agreed that I should not be held responsible for it.

I have literally let someone use it, like 5 times in the last 5 years.  Usually, I walk with them and unlock what needs to be unlocked.  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Still nothing.

I am asking to run a trace on the last door used. 

<sigh>

...and the woman that dumped it on my empty desk didn't even offer up to help pay for it, if in the event I was going to get dinged for it.  She is done, in my eyes.  My relationship with her has now drastically changed. I've lost respect for her.

I asked her again this morning.  She had said that she saw someone use it.  Again, I asked her who it was.  She said she didn't know.  I said was it a man or a woman?  Again, she said, I can't remember.

LAME!!!!!!!!

How many people in your office are indeterminate gender. There's your culprit. If its more than 1, consider getting a new office.

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was told they can't run a search, without the FOB?  WTF?

They can search who opened a door, by looking at a specific office number.  This system makes no sense, or the people are idiots.

Yeah, I'ma guessing that it's the ole "I don't know how to do it, therefore it cannot be done. Period." folks.

24 minutes ago, Chris... said:

for next time

ZDiblT8.thumb.jpg.26ee5deef62c2fd37b20780b3f78bca9.jpg

This picture appears to be about right for the sophistication of your access contol system...  Keyless entry systems or "prox cards" have been around for decades.  It's either an antiquated system or somebody got sold a bill of goods... There are far better systems available.

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

No, but I talked to my supervisor about it.  I told her that due to the circumstances, I refuse to pay if I am asked to.  This was the fault of the employee that didn't really give it back to me.  She agreed that I should not be held responsible for it.

I have literally let someone use it, like 5 times in the last 5 years.  Usually, I walk with them and unlock what needs to be unlocked.  

I think ChrisL alluded to it earlier that "lending" a secure key is essentially asking for trouble and grounds for dismissal at some jobs. It's your key, your responsibility. You chose to trust the wrong person, got screwed over, and really are ultimately the one upon whose head the responsibility lies. 

On the flip side, just borrow that original person's key and flush it down the toilet.

Tom

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This picture appears to be about right for the sophistication of your access contol system...  Keyless entry systems or "prox cards" have been around for decades.  It's either an antiquated system or somebody got sold a bill of goods... There are far better systems available.

Or they "Low Bid" the security people. You KNOW how those security folks are.....

• Haha 1

We have used fobs since before my time here...nothing like the pick donkpow posted...but similar to access cards...I can look up the number of the fob and see what it is assigned to...Then again if they don't change the identity of the person assigned to a specific key...chaos :runcirclsmiley:ran into that with garage door opener and people renting their stall to someone else..They should still be able to delete it ...thats crazy

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I think ChrisL alluded to it earlier that "lending" a secure key is essentially asking for trouble and grounds for dismissal at some jobs. It's your key, your responsibility. You chose to trust the wrong person, got screwed over, and really are ultimately the one upon whose head the responsibility lies. 

On the flip side, just borrow that original person's key and flush it down the toilet.

Tom

Yes, I made a mistake.  Pointing out the obvious, is not really helpful.  I know it was a mistake.

There will be no action from management.  We don't even have a policy about handing off a cyber key to unlock an office, conference room or lunch room.   There is no policy about the cyber key at all, that I am aware of.  We aren't dealing with a high security situation.   Most of the time, some of the people are so lax that they leave their door hanging open all day, to avoid using these keys.  Half the time it takes about 5 minutes to jiggle the key right or get the click just perfect.  The system is not a great one.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, I made a mistake.  Thank you to everyone that keeps pointing out that I f'ed up.  

There will be no action from management.  We don't even have a policy about handing off a cyber key to unlock an office, conference room or lunch room.   There is no policy about the cyber key at all, that I am aware of.  We aren't dealing with a high security situation.   Most of the time, some of the people are so lax that they leave their door hanging open all day, to avoid using these keys.  Half the time it takes about 5 minutes to jiggle the key right or get the click just perfect.  The system is not a great one.

That's not very high tech. Even the forge shop I worked in you had to swipe your badge to enter the building (unless you just walked through the truck entrance). Forget your badge you had to call your supervisor and he had to come and let you in (or you could just wait for the next person to open the door and then just waltz in while he has it open). Companies like to think how secure they are making things when all they are doing is being a PITA.

• Heart 2