We bought the land but we did not buy the farm

Airehead

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

And while you are at it, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, you should make a nifty little 4" tie in to your septic system that comes up over by where the water nozzle is.  

And a fire pit.  

They need at least two hookups and spaces. I have a portable fire pit under the motor home.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, UglyBob said:

I have a portable fire pit under the motor home.

That's an interest place to keep it. 

I had a coworker whose travel trailer burned down to the axles on I-10 outside of Pensacola. I wonder if that was the reason?? (Actually, it was a short in the batteries and the manu gave him a new  t/t)

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

That's an interest place to keep it. 

I had a coworker whose travel trailer burned down to the axles on I-10 outside of Pensacola. I wonder if that was the reason?? (Actually, it was a short in the batteries and the manu gave him a new  t/t)

Propane seems to be a big culprit in this sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

When you buy the barn that goes on the lot make sure that you pour a gravel pad to the side of it and have a 30 amp hook up and water nozzle thingie right there.  

Absolutely if it means I can spoi G and Em.  

• Heart 1

We are thinking a small house and a big barn--- paved drive and 30Amp for the guests who don't want to sleep in the house.  Tim said that instead of a house warming party, he wanted a breaking in the new house party.  I'm not sure he knows exactly what he said.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

If you're planning to build on this land, DH has some plans she may be able to lend you. :nodhead:

I am asking the smarties around here to help me.  I know very little.  HAHA

52 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We are thinking a small house and a big barn--- paved drive and 30Amp for the guests who don't want to sleep in the house.  Tim said that instead of a house warming party, he wanted a breaking in the new house party.  I'm not sure he knows exactly what he said.

I love it.  Keep us posted.  Any contingencies? 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

No contingencies and hopefully an easy cash sale for the land.  would it be wrong to build this before this??

Image result for floor for canine agility

4443-1-960x520.jpg

Before this??

Craftsman Style Home Design Plan: 61-112

No, I LOVE that barn.  Many, many people do that around here.  Buy the land.  Buy a tractor to maintain land and build a pole barn to put the tractor in.  Depending on how nice the barn, many people move into the barn while they build their house.  Some just casually forget to built a house and just build another barn.  

• Heart 1

I wont be living in the barn but I may be training in it before the house is done.  I'm going to include an office with heat and running water.  It will have windows out onto the training floor so you can watch in warmth.  The training area will have less heat--- maybe the radiant stuff in the ceiling-- not sure yet.  Your 30Amp will be right near the side door of the barn.

• Heart 3

17 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

No, I LOVE that barn.  Many, many people do that around here.  Buy the land.  Buy a tractor to maintain land and build a pole barn to put the tractor in.  Depending on how nice the barn, many people move into the barn while they build their house.  Some just casually forget to built a house and just build another barn.  

My father built a barn, parked his trailer inside it, and lived in the trailer while he finished some of the interior space as living space. Now he lives in the living space of the barn. I believe the tax people don't know the value of his improved property.

• Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, donkpow said:

My father built a barn, parked his trailer inside it, and lived in the trailer while he finished some of the interior space as living space. Now he lives in the living space of the barn. I believe the tax people don't know the value of his improved property.

that is very common around here.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

No contingencies and hopefully an easy cash sale for the land.  would it be wrong to build this before this??

Image result for floor for canine agility

4443-1-960x520.jpg

Before this??

Craftsman Style Home Design Plan: 61-112

Gorgeous.  Clearly above our price range. 

We are just going to do a little rock work for accent only. 

Love the decorative gables and standing seam metal roof. 

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Gorgeous.  Clearly above our price range. 

We are just going to do a little rock work for accent only. 

Love the decorative gables and standing seam metal roof. 

Don't forget that land and houses are inexpensive in our area--- then taxes are too high.

16 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Don't forget that land and houses are inexpensive in our area--- then taxes are too high.

I don't know much about your taxes.  Ours run about 1300 a year for our little 2 bedroom.  I think it is 1000 sq ft, if you include the little sunroom at the front.

23 hours ago, donkpow said:

This post is encouraging fraud.

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, and it includes school taxes too.  :D

On our current house with 5 acres we pay about 700 a month in combined school and property taxes.  It hurts, hurts bad.  We do happen to live in the village with the highest tax rate in the county.  That hurts too because we get nothing but road services and a lot of grief.  Unfortunately the new land is in the same village.  We should move to Delaware.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

On our current house with 5 acres we pay about 700 a month in combined school and property taxes.  It hurts, hurts bad.  We do happen to live in the village with the highest tax rate in the county.  That hurts too because we get nothing but road services and a lot of grief.  Unfortunately the new land is in the same village.  We should move to Delaware.

I read that as 700 a year.  I thought that was pretty good?  Then I re-read it.  Ouch.

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

WOW!!! Glad we live in the country in Montana. Even with 2 houses (one a double wide) and 350+acres our taxes do not come close to yours.

6 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

700 a month? 

How tight are we gonna get squeezed, before we all pop?

The East Coast really sucks for property taxes.  Except Delaware, but it just sucks in general. :D

(It does have some good wineries and breweries though, so you can spend the saved tax money to drown your sorrows for having to live in Delaware. :D )

• Awesome 1

18 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

WOW!!! Glad we live in the country in Montana. Even with 2 houses (one a double wide) and 350+acres our taxes do not come close to yours.

Granted our houses are small and nothing fancy with the stick house being 1,300 square feet or smaller and the other a double wide.  We just received our tax bill today, and I think our total bills run less than $2,500. We get dinged pretty heavy for insurance, but that is life in the country where there are no fire hydrants.

22 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We get dinged pretty heavy for insurance, but that is life in the country where there are no fire hydrants

You live in a dry area. Around my area most of the farms have ponds with pond hydrants (not sure what they are called but a large pipe goes from an intake in the pond out to the road for easy hookups by the fire department ..