Strongly Thinking About A Trek CrossRip 3

Razors Edge

...as a replacement for my commuter bike. Currently, my commuter is a converted 7sp MTB from 1995.  I'd like something that's a little more fun to ride even if it is just for commuting and the random trips on trails like the C&O or some other gravel/dirt mix.  The key things I like are the 11sp Shimano, hydraulic disc brakes, ability to run a rack AND fenders (top priority), and its overall flexibility to do multiple things better than my current commuter.

Any thoughts or feedback?

1378000_2017_A_2_CrossRip_3.thumb.jpg.23a116d1d4165fbdad5d4282fc4c49ee.jpg

1378000_2017_A_4_CrossRip_3.thumb.jpg.d80991bc3a6e9bc02f9f0c931928d114.jpg

Tom

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, dennis said:

It sounds like it hits all of your needs pretty well. It looks like a versatile bike. Go for it. 

I'm planning on sitting on this for a bit - either wait for a sale or the current bike gives me new trouble.  I have no rush since it is coming up on Winter, so my commuter will soon be slogging through wet leaves, slush, and eventually snow & ice, so it might be best to wait until Spring for the new bike. 

We'll see. I will take it as an omen, though, that as I was walking up to my office building this morning, a dude rode by with a CrossRip 3 with a rack and a pannier. 

Tom

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

Good idea. They'll go on sale. Hopefully, they'll have your size in stock when they do. 

56 or 58 ought to fit me. These are likely the most popular sizes AND the most produced sizes. Also, the least likely to be on clearance. Really tall or really short folks can sometimes luck out on their bikes hitting clearance (if their size actually gets produced), but us folks in the middle have great variety and selection, but rarely stuff on the clearance rack.

Tom

On 10/29/2017 at 2:11 PM, Razors Edge said:

...as a replacement for my commuter bike. Currently, my commuter is a converted 7sp MTB from 1995.  I'd like something that's a little more fun to ride even if it is just for commuting and the random trips on trails like the C&O or some other gravel/dirt mix.  The key things I like are the 11sp Shimano, hydraulic disc brakes, ability to run a rack AND fenders (top priority), and its overall flexibility to do multiple things better than my current commuter.

Any thoughts or feedback?

1378000_2017_A_2_CrossRip_3.thumb.jpg.23a116d1d4165fbdad5d4282fc4c49ee.jpg

1378000_2017_A_4_CrossRip_3.thumb.jpg.d80991bc3a6e9bc02f9f0c931928d114.jpg

Tom

I'd suggest that when you are close to pulling the trigger take it on a test spin as the geometry on cross bikes do vary.  A true cross bike is a quick handling short wheelbase taller bottom bracket steeper angles for agility on a cross course. But more cross bikes are becoming gravel oriented.

I don't know if I'd want racks on my crosser but it does have true cross racing geo.  Its a blast picking lines through cones, weaving around traffic and changing lines quickly.  Take your hands off the bars and you risk your life!

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I'd suggest that when you are close to pulling the trigger take it on a test spin as the geometry on cross bikes do vary.  A true cross bike is a quick handling short wheelbase taller bottom bracket steeper angles for agility on a cross course. But more cross bikes are becoming gravel oriented.

I don't know if I'd want racks on my crosser but it does have true cross racing geo.  Its a blast picking lines through cones, weaving around traffic and changing lines quickly.  Take your hands off the bars and you risk your life!

I think the name is a misnomer for sure. It is less cross and more gravel. They don't even mention cross in the description, so I'm not sure why they call it the CrossRip, but I assume it is catchier than some other names they considered.  Regarding a rack, I would definitely go with one. It has a longed chainstay by a bit than my current commuter which means I should be good from a heel-strike perspective, and it accepts fenders, so that fulfills two big needs. For my short few miles of my regular ride to the Metro, I'd be fine with most bikes. However, it is as a replacement as well for the longer rides to work (22 miles each way) where I don't want to take the Tarmac, or for mixed surface rides where the Roubaix just doesn't have the tire clearance. Anyway, I will definitely give it a ride beforehand! Here was Trek's description: 

The drop-bar CrossRip is surefooted when roads get rough, quick in traffic, and comfortable over the long haul. Commuter? Gravel grinder? Café racer?

CrossRip pairs the efficiency of a road bike with the go-anywhere durability of something more. It's the one bike that takes you from your workday commute right into your weekend adventure.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think the name is a misnomer for sure. It is less cross and more gravel. They don't even mention cross in the description, so I'm not sure why they call it the CrossRip, but I assume it is catchier than some other names they considered.  Regarding a rack, I would definitely go with one. It has a longed chainstay by a bit than my current commuter which means I should be good from a heel-strike perspective, and it accepts fenders, so that fulfills two big needs. For my short few miles of my regular ride to the Metro, I'd be fine with most bikes. However, it is as a replacement as well for the longer rides to work (22 miles each way) where I don't want to take the Tarmac, or for mixed surface rides where the Roubaix just doesn't have the tire clearance. Anyway, I will definitely give it a ride beforehand! Here was Trek's description: 

The drop-bar CrossRip is surefooted when roads get rough, quick in traffic, and comfortable over the long haul. Commuter? Gravel grinder? Café racer?

CrossRip pairs the efficiency of a road bike with the go-anywhere durability of something more. It's the one bike that takes you from your workday commute right into your weekend adventure.

Tom

Ahh sounds likens good choice then.  My crosser is an old school bike with traditional cross geo and is a blast on tight courses but nervous as hell on the road.

I think more and more "cross" bikes are leaning towards gravel & commuter type bikes. Longer, lower more stable.