Do you have a root cellar?

Randomguy

When I was a kid, my family was shopping for a new home. One of the places we went to had a root cellar. As we entered the root cellar to examine it, snakes were dropping from the walls and the ceiling, falling on my father's shoulder and head. We didn't get that house.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

We had one at our house growing up - accessible both through the main cellar, and a trap door in the mudroom floor.  In the fall we stored bushel baskets of apples, squash, potatoes, etc.

That was one creepy cellar.  Dirt floor, low ceiling, two bare bulbs for lighting, and an open well about 3 feet in diameter.   When Silence Of The Lambs came out I felt like I knew what it was like to be in there.

• Heart 2

We do. I made it from a large concrete distribution box that I got from the local concrete company cheap because of some defect. It stay around 45-47 degrees in it year round. We can keep taters and winter squash 4-6 months. Other things not quite as long. 

• 1 year later...

...we had a partial project one in Minnesota.  It was supposed to get bigger.

The house I rented in TN had a dugout basement, but there was a coal/wood furnace unit down there, so if you used that old furnace for heat (I did), it didn't work as a root cellar.  You really can get carrots and potatoes to winter over in a root cellar.  I guess it works for the rest of the stuff like turnips and beets too, but I never tried those.

You need to be careful about rats and mice though. They'll go in there and nibble on your stuff. That's probably why those people had the guard snakes in theirs.

• Heart 1

There's one out back on the farm. I've been told it was an "ice house." But I think it was a "root cellar." Now its just a place no one will dare step foot in 'cause of snakes droppin' from the walls and ceiling and fallin' on our heads and shoulders.