iPhone X

jsharr

Already saw a neighbor trying to sell his new iPhone X for $1895.  Crazy. I mean, it is just a phone, right? I could buy my kid a decent used car for the price of a phone.So will anyone here besides SW be running out to get one?

Also, if you run an older iPhone, do the recent findings that Apple intentionally slows down older devices in order to make them cumbersome and replaceable bother you?

Makes me glad I run an old Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 active).  And I waited to buy it until they were in less demand and the price dropped.

Just now, jsharr said:

Already saw a neighbor trying to sell his new iPhone X for $1895.  Crazy. I mean, it is just a phone, right? I could buy my kid a decent used car for the price of a phone.So will anyone here besides SW be running out to get one?

Also, if you run an older iPhone, do the recent findings that Apple intentionally slows down older devices in order to make them cumbersome and replaceable bother you?

Makes me glad I run an old Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 active).  And I waited to buy it until they were in less demand and the price dropped.

People are idiots. Why pay a premium now when the phone will be readily available soon? Makes little sense except that people are idiots.

My brother ordered the X but I think it isn't due for a few weeks? My other brother will likely get the X after New Years. I'll wait for the Xs or whatever the one is that works the bugs out.

Tom

There are a lot of good phones out there now.  Are there really any bad ones?

I will wait for the next iteration, the cut-out doesn't seem like too big an issue to me.  I think the people on the iphone will stick with the iphone because of facetime, maybe.  There seem to be any number of phones out there that wouldn't be so bad to be stuck with.

I had an iPhone5 and then a 6s and now a 7.  I can upgrade this one now (which means it has beed paid off through the plan).  I'm not thinking there is anything I'm really missing.  It's paid for thru my business so I might start looking at an 8 before the end of the year.  The X pricing has jumped the shark.  Not the first time.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

LX Charge.  $1.00  No cost for phone calls or text, only data.  I don't use a lot of data.  I will pick up an extra $12 charge for using all three of our phones during the power outage.

What's the X do again that I need?

Hey grandpa, It'll remind you to put on pants in the morning and turn off your left blinker that's been on for the last 12 freakin' miles.

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Already saw a neighbor trying to sell his new iPhone X for $1895.  Crazy. I mean, it is just a phone, right?

Agreed, the way some people spend money for the 'newest and bestest'.  Makes no sense at all...

I will admit that when Apple launches the the new iFlipPhoneX I'll be the first one in line!  :nodhead:

• Heart 2

I have a Samsung core prime phone and it is buggy and works horribly.  The keyboard is buggy and seems to be clicking things when I am not even using the phone.  It's possessed.  

Recently, I have been considering going back to a flip phone.  I think it would give me less stress.  The problem is all the damn texting.  Everyone wants to text me, and the old style texting would be cumbersome.

The updates are a pain in the ass.  Clearing the data is a pain in the ass.  It is slightly large in my pockt...so I hate that part too.  

Currently, I am on a Straight talk plan.  You have to buy your own phone, but it comes with no contract.  I hate the contract idea.  I don't like not being able to get out of it. The cost is only 43 a month per phone.  If I travel internationally, I buy a card for that month for service.  No big deal. Although, last time I went to Canada...it had problems.  BAH!

I will not be buying the new apple thing.  You guys can feel free to buy it though.  It might make the apple stock go up.  LOL

The reality: (from someone who uses both Android and iPhone platforms)

First, Apple doesn't deliberately slow down old phones.  Apple introduces new phones with newer processors, and designs newer operating systems to take advantage of them with new features, and those features don't run as well (or are sometimes disabled because they don't run well enough) on older phones.  One basic example: Prior to the iPhone 5S, iPhones used 32-bit processors. The 5S and later are 64-bit processors.  Newer operating systems (11 going forward) are 64-bit only, so phones prior to the 5S won't support it.  Also, earlier phones have less RAM, so they don't run newer operating systems as well.  Some newer features (like always-on Siri voice activation) require additional processing power or a low-power voice coprocessor, which is why the iPhone 6S was the first to support it without being plugged in to auxiliary power.

While I like Android, the iPhone actually has longer operating system support than any major smartphone platform.  The best Android has to offer (formerly, Google's Nexus, and now Pixel) have 12-24 months of OS support and 6 months of security patches after that.  The iPhone 5S was released in 2013 and has iOS 11, it's the oldest one to do so.  It has between 1/3 and 1/2 the RAM of the current iPhones, and that hurts its performance.

That said, paying a grand for a phone is silly no matter who makes it.  I don't care if it has Porsche stamped on the back.  At this point, the iPhone 6S and 7 are quite fast, well-supported and better priced than the 8, and are good values.  The iPhone SE 32GB is also a good value, it's like a 6S with a smaller display.  There is little reason to always have the newest one, and it's relatively easy to decide what features are important.  I look at the 6S and SE as the cutoff point due to the always-on Siri, and as they have 2GB of RAM, which is the minimum I'd want for decent performance.  But there's no problem buying a used one, or even a Certified Refurbished one from the Apple store.  By the way, I feel the same way with Android; there's no way I'd buy a Pixel 2XL or Pixel 2 at this point, given their prices.$600 and up is out of my budget. Heck, I personally believe that $200-300 is about what I'm willing to pay, so unless work buys it for me, midrange, used or last-generation new is what it is.

Until recently, I liked Android a lot more as more customizable and having some apps I wanted.  However, Apple patches security updates quicker and more reliably than most Android phones.  Apple actually allows ad-blockers on their platform, and that has made my browsing experience better.  And until Google gets things so that phone vendors and the carriers care about updates being passed on properly, Apple is the most secure platform.  I just won't pay for the sake of status.  I want function., not fashion.

• Awesome 3

9 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

At this point, the iPhone 6S and 7 are quite fast, well-supported and better priced than the 8, and are good values.  

HB I really appreciated your response on this thread. My wife had always stuck with up to date androids but last month decided to come over to the dark side. She bought herself a 7+ and seems to like it. She didn’t have all the technical reasons why it would be a good choice, she just liked the price and she knew I love my 7.

granddaughters FaceTiming her and our sons FaceTiming from all over the world are probably what brought her over to the dark side. Before that they always had to FaceTime grandpa and have me put her on.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just got an iPhone 8 and am selling my two month old 6S.

Why?  My new boss supplies it without content restriction and I paid for the old one. :)  That saves about $350/ month. :skipping:

And that's cool.  Work supplies mine, no restriction either, though if data usage got high, they might just tell me I needed to cut down.

11 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

The reality: (from someone who uses both Android and iPhone platforms)

First, Apple doesn't deliberately slow down old phones.  Apple introduces new phones with newer processors, and designs newer operating systems to take advantage of them with new features, and those features don't run as well (or are sometimes disabled because they don't run well enough) on older phones.  One basic example: Prior to the iPhone 5S, iPhones used 32-bit processors. The 5S and later are 64-bit processors.  Newer operating systems (11 going forward) are 64-bit only, so phones prior to the 5S won't support it.  Also, earlier phones have less RAM, so they don't run newer operating systems as well.  Some newer features (like always-on Siri voice activation) require additional processing power or a low-power voice coprocessor, which is why the iPhone 6S was the first to support it without being plugged in to auxiliary power.

While I like Android, the iPhone actually has longer operating system support than any major smartphone platform.  The best Android has to offer (formerly, Google's Nexus, and now Pixel) have 12-24 months of OS support and 6 months of security patches after that.  The iPhone 5S was released in 2013 and has iOS 11, it's the oldest one to do so.  It has between 1/3 and 1/2 the RAM of the current iPhones, and that hurts its performance.

That said, paying a grand for a phone is silly no matter who makes it.  I don't care if it has Porsche stamped on the back.  At this point, the iPhone 6S and 7 are quite fast, well-supported and better priced than the 8, and are good values.  The iPhone SE 32GB is also a good value, it's like a 6S with a smaller display.  There is little reason to always have the newest one, and it's relatively easy to decide what features are important.  I look at the 6S and SE as the cutoff point due to the always-on Siri, and as they have 2GB of RAM, which is the minimum I'd want for decent performance.  But there's no problem buying a used one, or even a Certified Refurbished one from the Apple store.  By the way, I feel the same way with Android; there's no way I'd buy a Pixel 2XL or Pixel 2 at this point, given their prices.$600 and up is out of my budget. Heck, I personally believe that $200-300 is about what I'm willing to pay, so unless work buys it for me, midrange, used or last-generation new is what it is.

Until recently, I liked Android a lot more as more customizable and having some apps I wanted.  However, Apple patches security updates quicker and more reliably than most Android phones.  Apple actually allows ad-blockers on their platform, and that has made my browsing experience better.  And until Google gets things so that phone vendors and the carriers care about updates being passed on properly, Apple is the most secure platform.  I just won't pay for the sake of status.  I want function., not fashion.

Oh yeah!  A cow-orker got a cheap se. Sounds like the way to go.  Thanks, Honey badger!  

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Oh yeah!  A cow-orker got a cheap se. Sounds like the way to go.  Thanks, Honey badger!  

Get the 32GB.  There's a lot of 16GB models out there, and they'll do for a bit but the moment you use the phone as your picture or music repository....

If you don't for either of those and don't use apps other than default, the 16GB will do, but people's plans change over the life of a phone, and most people want a two-year investment.  If anyone you get a phone for does pictures or music, 32GB is the minimum you want, because apps, pictures, and music take space.

Btw, Apple Certified Refurbished store.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/iphone

The iPhone 6S is a very good value too.  And unlike the 7 and later - you get a headphone jack.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

HB I really appreciated your response on this thread. My wife had always stuck with up to date androids but last month decided to come over to the dark side. She bought herself a 7+ and seems to like it. She didn’t have all the technical reasons why it would be a good choice, she just liked the price and she knew I love my 7.

Thank you.

Apple quality control is generally guaranteed too, which I can't say for every vendor --Android vendors LG and HTC have made some beautiful phones, but have had some lemons too which people didn't always get good recompense on.  Motorola's purchase by Lenovo (from Google) generally kept the hardware okay, but software support tanked hard.  Google's having early problems with the Pixel 2, which shouldn't be happening for a phone as expensive as top-flight iPhones.  Honestly, I hate that --I want good competition, it makes for competitive pricing, exciting engineering, the drive to make cool features (something Apple has stagnated on).

The times of the best innovation in technology are when we have good competition. I've seen that for twenty-five years now. We get the best engineering, features, prices.  So I'm hoping Google can pull the whole schmear together, because right now, the critical mistake they made (not working on making sure Android could update independently of phone vendors and carriers, they should have worked on it 4-5 years ago) is biting them in the ass hard, IMO.

• Heart 1

At least Apple keeps up when someone else comes up with a cool feature they quickly add it. The day my wife brought me my 7 I was working on some piping in my son’s sump pump pit. The phone was literally less than two hours old. Plop, splash, new iPhone fell in the pit. I reached in and couldn’t find the phone. The pump was running and the phone was stuck to the intake. I pulled it off and stuck it back in my pocket.:hapydance:

• Awesome 1

I do appreciate the no muss no fuss aspect of Apples.  This old 5s I think is only 16gb but so far I am managing to stay within its limits.  The on off button is broken and the battery is getting weaker by the day, but it keeps on plugging away.  The only glitch is sometimes the edit bubble is blank, but that is minor.  I am old now so I don;t shiv a git if I have some misspelled words in a post or text. :D

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Already saw a neighbor trying to sell his new iPhone X for $1895. 

You know how many race tires that will buy. I'll spend that kind of money on something else.... Its just a phone.

• Heart 1

On 11/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I do appreciate the no muss no fuss aspect of Apples.  This old 5s I think is only 16gb but so far I am managing to stay within its limits.  The on off button is broken and the battery is getting weaker by the day, but it keeps on plugging away.  The only glitch is sometimes the edit bubble is blank, but that is minor.  I am old now so I don;t shiv a git if I have some misspelled words in a post or text. :D

I did a few repairs to my old 5s when stuff broke. That one was easy to open and fix/replace stuff. It started getting tougher after the 6 came out, but on an older phone, I'm willing to first try to fix something before buying a new one. If it works - YAY! - but if I can't fix it then no big deal.

The Washington Post ran this article today on the iPhone X (pronounced "ten") and it was pretty spot on, and not much that wasn't mentioned here already.

----------------------------------------

Pop quiz: Which comes in more flavors, Baskin Robbins ice cream or the iPhone?

It’s the iPhone, by almost double. There’s a hype around the $1,000 iPhone X, but Apple actually makes eight iPhone models right now, each in multiple colors and storage capacities.

There’s never been a more confusing time to buy an iPhone. Still, 50 million of us are ready to get a new smartphone this fall—the largest upgrade season in years.

Perhaps I can help. I’ve reviewed, recharged, dropped and tested the camera on every iPhone model, as well as many of its Android rivals.

So let’s keep it real: The iPhone X is great, but you probably don’t need the most expensive iPhone ever. You don’t even need an iPhone X if you care about a great camera. And you might not get the battery life boost that Apple’s marketing suggests; the iPhone that lasts the longest is actually the cheapest, the $350 iPhone SE.

-------------------------------------------

Tom

Loading on the software necessary for my phone to get my work email is a nightmare.  So i'll keep using my old iphone 5 until it completely breaks (or my coworker gets a new phone so I can follow when he tries to add the required software to the phone).

Had dinner with my cousin and his wife last night, and they each had the new iPhone X.  I can definitely see it being the next phone I get, but it will be the Xs or whatever the second iteration is.  I currently have a 6s+, and the X has pretty much the same amount of screen real estate in a more slender and lighter form.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, it would be cool if someone would start a Samsung Galaxy thread! Those are da bomb.

Tom

I would get a Galaxy 8 if they had all the cool things the iPhone has, like no home button, more screen, facial recognition, beveled edges...  Oh wait, that's what they came out with this spring.  ;)

I don't think people are idiots for wanting the latest gizmo. Maybe they just like new things. I know a guy in town who owns three Ferraris and a Porsche. Does that make him an idiot? I bet he has the latest iphone or android too. Stupid rich guy.

I've got a $50 LG and pay about $100/year for service. Does that make me smarter than everyone else? I don't think so. It just works for me since I use my device so little. 

24 minutes ago, dennis said:

I don't think people are idiots for wanting the latest gizmo. Maybe they just like new things. I know a guy in town who owns three Ferraris and a Porsche. Does that make him an idiot? I bet he has the latest iphone or android too. Stupid rich guy.

I've got a $50 LG and pay about $100/year for service. Does that make me smarter than everyone else? I don't think so. It just works for me since I use my device so little. 

Agreed.  If you have the money and just want it, why not?

47 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Agreed.  If you have the money and just want it, why not?

Now you are getting into philosophical discussions. There is a LOT of manipulation done by companies and society that creates the "want it" urge. It certainly does not get created in a vacuum, so it is fairly important to add a step to the above process so it is: If you have the money, you want it, and you understand why you want it, then why not?

Mindless buying simply because you can "afford" it is treading close towards some sort of mental illness.

Tom

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mindless buying simply because you can "afford" it is treading close towards some sort of mental illness.

There is the "want it" component you left out.  That said, lots of slotting going into any purchase, but I have seen people give others grief for buying expensive things that they can clearly afford and will get lots of use of and love.  "You don't need Dura Ace, Ultegra is fine.  What are you, Lance Armstrong"  Well, bullshit, nobody even "needs" Ultegra.  If you want Dura Ace and have the cash that you don't need for other things, get the Dura Ace.  That isn't mindless buying at all.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

There is the "want it" component you left out.  That said, lots of slotting going into any purchase, but I have seen people give others grief for buying expensive things that they can clearly afford and will get lots of use of and love.  "You don't need Dura Ace, Ultegra is fine.  What are you, Lance Armstrong"  Well, bullshit, nobody even "needs" Ultegra.  If you want Dura Ace and have the cash that you don't need for other things, get the Dura Ace.  That isn't mindless buying at all.

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

But I didn't leave out the "want it". I included it and added the "and you understand why you want it" in there. I suggest a little introspection would help folks not just be mindless consumers. Just because a big company and a big marketing group and constant bombardment from all around has convinced you that you "need" or "want" it, I still think an extra step will be better for everyone.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

But I didn't leave out the "want it". I included it and added the "and you understand why you want it" in there. I suggest a little introspection would help folks not just be mindless consumers. Just because a big company and a big marketing group and constant bombardment from all around has convinced you that you "need" or "want" it, I still think an extra step will be better for everyone.

Tom

When you get to the iphone at this stage, or any phone, there don't seem to be as many mindless buyers anymore.  Everybody is weighing whether they need to upgrade for any reason, or can justify paying a few bucks more every month.  Nothing really seems like an otherworldly advance anymore, just trying to optimize what is there.

I would like to get the new one, but just don't see it transforming my life in any way, so I will wait.  If I was a young pup, had no debt, a decent job, and no particular urgency to bank money away, I would get one.  The millennials doing that are not unique, they are just doing what young people unaccustomed to consequences have always tended to do.  I don't blame them much at this point, and the mindlessness will stop eventually.

I have a 6s Plus that I have a month left on the “financing” thing Verizon is doing now. I almost walked out with a new 8, but just couldn’t justify it. My phone is in pristine condition, and the only real reason I wanted it was for the updated camera. 

So now the boss wants me to have an iPhone so he can reach me easier when he is travelling.  Told him I would gladly get one on the company account, but not on mine.  

Now the hard decision, do I get a new number or transfer my number (both accounts are on AT&T)?  I do not want to keep up with two phones, so I am leaning towards transfering.

Also, what phone should I get?  

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

Tom

Don't we all get a case of newbikeitis. For some it's a CrossRip, for others it's a new fatbike or Fargo. ;)

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So now the boss wants me to have an iPhone so he can reach me easier when he is travelling.  Told him I would gladly get one on the company account, but not on mine.  

Now the hard decision, do I get a new number or transfer my number (both accounts are on AT&T)?  I do not want to keep up with two phones, so I am leaning towards transfering.

Also, what phone should I get?  

Wrong!

Get your own phone and expense the company.  Why?  You know why, quit playing dumb!  

Ok, when you quit and they own the phone, they will take your phone and your number back, and you will be nobody.  If it is your phone, you take everything with.  If the company is allowing it, get the latest and greatest, because you are a bigwig, aren't you?