It's time to openly discuss a very uncomfortable subject... (warning: gross material)

Dottleshead

Fecal impaction

So I came home after eating dinner out with my wife tonight to prepare for a commitment we had later in the evening.  Good thing.  Nature called and I had to do my thing.  It was a big job.  Well the first cold air of the season hit us this last couple of days and apparently I was not hydrated enough.  I wasn't feeling thirsting and stopped drinking water forgetting the danger that lurked.  I think you know where I'm going with this.  My gawd!  It took me an hour and a half to pass a single stool in excruciating pain.  I am not exaggerating.  90 minutes.  It's a horrible feeling because my body is naturally trying to move the waste along but it literally gets trapped.   It wouldn't pass!  It's caught in an in/out state because when it's partly out, clinching the sphincter muscles either clips it or pushes it back in.  My body is screaming in pain and i'm extremely uncomfortable.   The body naturally signals involuntarily to push that waste through but it can't and at some point that hung chow is now pinching on my bladder and I feel as though I have to pee a stream across the state.  That may have been one of the worst parts -- feeling like you have to urgently pee for 60 minutes but I can't pee either!  

So if the details up to this point make you want to throw up or stop reading -- you probably should -- because it's going to get worse. I was screaming in horror and literally almost passed out. I grabbed the towel rack with my left hand and held on to the vanity with my right and squeezed until I saw -- and yes pun intended -- "dot's".  While having trouble breathing, I reached up with TP in hand and snapped it off.  You read that right.  I snapped it off.  It snapped like an ice chisel chipping off shards.  It was effing gross.  But it was progress.  I never realized or appreciated just how linear the process of taking a shit really is.  I spent the next 30 minutes howling until the upper half dropped -- and then waiting another 10 minutes to relax and urinate again.  To add insult to injury -- my fucking toilet is now clogged.  No joke.

I have since taken both a stool softener -- and a laxative -- and drinking plenty of water -- and yes I washed my hands.  My arsehole is killing me though and I'm afraid to go back to the bathroom and try again.

Don't ever tell me getting old isn't a bitch -- because it is.

7 hours ago, dotman17 said:

That's the answer.  More water.  I just know this 'shit' didn't happen when I was in my 20s and I didn't always drink water like I should have.

Yeah, but in your 20's you were probably eating all kinds of greasy crap like I did, and washing it down with beer like I did.  That will get you moving.  Plus, I bet you were active as hell.

I have been constipated once in my life, and it sucked.  I don't want to do that again!

• Heart 1

538f42eaa950defc8345e8a9ca3fdedbcc1d3122

Sorry, couldn't resist. I make a point of keeping my water bottle near me as a reminder to drink; I do that at home, at work, and carry a water bottle when I go out. Yes, a bit tedious but otherwise I'd probably not remember and would do so only when thirsty which of course means you're already dehydrated. Eating foods high in fiber helps a lot too.

• Heart 1

OK.  This is going to some tough love here. 

I think it is time that you switch to using a graduated water bottle.  This way you can really keep track of how much you are consuming.  It is imperative to make sure you don't get overly dehydrated.  It is dangerous for your kidneys.  

Oh, and that little stunt of pushing hard until you saw spots or stars, or whatever you saw could have killed you.  This is how you have an aneurysm. There is a lot of pressure on your body you do valsalva maneuver.  All that pressure on your vagus nerve can kill.

You are a very nice man.  I loved getting to meet you and I want you to stick around. So no more straining, OK?  If you feel constipated, please drink some prune juice.  Relax, and wait.  No pushing. 

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK.  This is going to some tough love here. 

I think it is time that you switch to using a graduated water bottle.  This way you can really keep track of how much you are consuming.  It is imperative to make sure you don't get overly dehydrated.  It is dangerous for your kidneys.  

Oh, and that little stunt of pushing hard until you saw spots or stars, or whatever you saw could have killed you.  This is how you have an aneurysm. There is a lot of pressure on your body you do valsalva maneuver.  All that pressure on your vagus nerve can kill.

You are a very nice man.  I loved getting to meet you and I want you to stick around. So no more straining, OK?  If you feel constipated, please drink some prune juice.  Relax, and wait.  No pushing. 

Leafy green veggies will fix you right up. :)  Almost as effective as colon blow. :)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Leafy green veggies will fix you right up. :)  Almost as effective as colon blow. :)

Agreed.  

You just lose the urge to drink enough, as we age.  Exercise helps as well to keep things moving along.  

When I took some pain meds, after my recent pinky debacle...the Murse was pretty on point with my care.  If I didn't drink enough he made jokes about how to rectify the situation.  :o

• Heart 1

I guess you could always hook a chain on it and drag it out with your 4X4.

Getting old means you have to think about this more than when you are young. Everyone is different so you have to find out what works for you and is comfortable. I have always eaten greens but they have no effect on me in that way. Lots of vegetables that my wife won't eat because she says they go right through her don't affect me. Prunes will work for me but sometimes it takes quite a few, sometimes not so many. I try to eat what I know works and won't go too far the other way. Tomato juice or V8 sometimes moves things along if needed.