Are Fresh Eggs Really Better?

ChrisL

They are.  It's more of a health thing.  You really notice the difference in the yolks with pasture eggs.  The yolks are bright orange.  Store eggs can be more on the yellow side.  Depends on what they eating.  More greens ingested, it's superior.  

Don't trust me though.  My chicken experience is limited to about 3 years. I felt that they tasted fresher and the quality of baking with them was notable. 

I buy organic eggs most often from the LGS by work...they come from an Amish farm...and have the date laid on the carton....I don't know that I notice a difference other than an richer yolk color...but I appreciate the fact that they date the day they were laid...and out about a month for fresh by....Cos unless I am baking ...as in this week...a dozen eggs lasts me a long time

• Heart 1

I think fresher eggs are better. But more better are eggs from chickens who are provided better feed. Letting the chickens forage for grains, bugs and worms makes eggs with more nutrients and thus more nutrients for you, the consumer. It isn't that you can taste the difference, some can and some can't, but that you are getting better vitamins and minerals that you would from caged chickens that are fed antibiotics, growth hormones and "chicken chow" from Purina.

I use egg whites. We use eggs for baking and for certain dishes that require eggs.

My partner's son runs his own butcher-sandwich shop in east-end Toronto near a subway stop, for past 3 years. Unbelievably his fresh organic eggs have become slowly more popular each year.  He initially had fresh eggs for food preparation of certain dishes, evening supper clubs his place was hosting for private parties.  Yesterday they sold 9 dozen eggs, today it was 8 dozen....from your corner butcher store.  

I'm gonna vote the DH-type eggs are better. Any egg from a chicken treated humanely is better. Period. Find eggs sourced from chickens who wander around during the day, eat whatever they choose - from bugs to healthy feed - and which then come home to roost and eventually lay an egg that you can collect to allow them to restart the process the next day.

My mom had a half-dozen chickens that led a pretty darn good life. My mom would send me down sometimes to collect the eggs, and I would also feed and water them. They had a large pen and a house, and the grass would grow high along the edge of the fence line. When watering the coop, I would also direct a spray at the long grass, and that would drive out a bunch of crickets which would run towards the chickens. Those chickens then chased the crickets down and gobbled them up. That was fun to watch.

Tom

Hmm, I have a bunch more so will see.  I soft boiled two with no S&P, just wanted to see if I could taste a difference.  Maybe the yolk was a different color, didn't look that closely when I ate it.  

She feeds them organic grain and meal worms but no greens that I'm aware of. They were much smaller than store bought ones and red but otherwise tasted the same to me.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm gonna vote the DH-type eggs are better. Any egg from a chicken treated humanely is better. Period. Find eggs sourced from chickens who wander around during the day, eat whatever they choose - from bugs to healthy feed - and which then come home to roost and eventually lay an egg that you can collect to allow them to restart the process the next day.

My mom had a half-dozen chickens that led a pretty darn good life. My mom would send me down sometimes to collect the eggs, and I would also feed and water them. They had a large pen and a house, and the grass would grow high along the edge of the fence line. When watering the coop, I would also direct a spray at the long grass, and that would drive out a bunch of crickets which would run towards the chickens. Those chickens then chased the crickets down and gobbled them up. That was fun to watch.

Tom

I used to pet them, feed them warm oatmeal when it was cold and bought sand, so they had a beach area to bathe in.  The sandy zone was a popular spot when the sun hit over there.  They really were friendly.  They would come running over to me.  I never had to chase them down.  They let me pick them up easily.  That helped for my periodic inspection of their bodies.  I would inspect them for sores, mites and other maladies.  It was so funny.  If I reached down to pick them up they would squat down and like get ready for mounting.  I think they thought I was the Rooster.  LOL  When I released them, they would fluff up and flap their wings.  I saw the chickens at my friends place do the same thing, after the rooster climbed off them.  They were funny. 

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Hmm, I have a bunch more so will see.  I soft boiled two with no S&P, just wanted to see if I could taste a difference.  Maybe the yolk was a different color, didn't look that closely when I ate it.  

She feeds them organic grain and meal worms but no greens that I'm aware of. They were much smaller than store bought ones and red but otherwise tasted the same to me.

You don't have to feed them greens really.  It's the weeds and the grasses is what I am speaking of.  I loved picking fresh dandelions for them in Spring and early summer.  They also loved my compost scraps, but I had to remember not to give them certain items that were bad for them.  Avocado peels for example.    I also avoided giving them onions or garlic scraps.  I didn't want garlic or oniony cookies.  HAHA