Do any of you people have glass bifocals?

sheep_herder

I am assuming most have progressive with some type of plastic and tinted lenses.  I got a new prescription yesterday, but the local shop is indicating getting glass lenses with line bifocals and photo gray tint may be problematic.  My wife got some this summer, but they indicated she was lucky.  Seems some have waited up to 6 months, and then the company decided they could not do the job.  I may have to go to Billings, but our last experience there was not the best. Just curious, if any of you have had this experience.  I need glass due to working in a dusty environment and long eye lashes that can scratch the inside of the dust covered plastic type lens.

2 minutes ago, Further said:

Modern plastic is much tougher than you might think. My work glasses are progressive plastic, I work in a steel mill, dust like you wouldn't believe, they supply the glasses so they don't get babyed. A pair of glasses lasts a couple years.

Polycarbonate lenses are tough. That's what all my recent bifocals are.

Acrylic single, bifocal, and trifocal. The experts advised me against polycarbonate except for true "safety" glasses. I don't remember the specifics but treated/coated acrylic served my needs better. I've got some single vision glass lenses in the drawer but they are something like 20+ years old.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I need glass due to working in a dusty environment and long eye lashes that can scratch the inside of the dust covered plastic type lens.

My arms are getting shorter, so my next pair of glasses will need to be bifocals. :(

This summer I bought a pair of scratch resistant prescription sunglasses for work and the lens got all scratched up inside. They blamed it on my eye lashes too. My previous five year old sun glasses never scratched like that. And I never realized my lashes moved side to side like a windshield wiper. Who knew? :dontknow: Guess I'll need to go with glass when I get the expensive bifocal script. 

Yes I do. As a military retiree, I get a free pair of glasses every couple of years. They are known as BC glasses because they are so ugly, they are a form of birth control. I use them for doing yard work and working on cars because I don't want to scratch up my fancy progressive glasses.

I also use lined bifocal inserts with my prescription sunglasses. My eyesight is too bad to have just just the lenses. I find that lined bifocals work best as I'm usually just looking down the road or at the bike computer / car dashboard. The progressives cause me to move my head up and down too much especially when riding.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:39 PM, Further said:

Modern plastic is much tougher than you might think. My work glasses are progressive plastic, I work in a steel mill, dust like you wouldn't believe, they supply the glasses so they don't get babyed. A pair of glasses lasts a couple years.

If my prescription does not change much, I may wear a pair for 5+ years, and would rather not be paying for new ones every 2 years.:whistle: