Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jsharr

An ebike question for DH and others

35 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I don't get the hate on e-bikes. The e-mountain bikes I've seen are the Turbo Levo from Specialized. It's basically a full suspension mountain bike with pedal assist. The people buying and riding them aren't, for the most part, noobs who shouldn't be on mountain bike trails but are older riders, who for whatever reason, no longer have the stamina to ride the trails they once did while they were younger and fitter. The bikes generally start around $5,000 so they're not entry level machines. The hybrids that we sell are generally to commuters who use them to get to work and save, on average, an hour of commuting time per day. 

That's not to say I don't hate the guy on the trail with his Elf trike. He takes up the whole lane and goes faster than he should for the trail conditions. Fuck that guy.

I don't hate e-bikes, but I do think we need to figure out where it is safe to ride them. There is a concern that they can tear up trails.

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

I don't hate e-bikes, but I do think we need to figure out where it is safe to ride them. There is a concern that they can tear up trails.

I'm just trying to figure out how folks who no longer can "keep up" on a bike trail are now somehow able to brake, swerve, and safely maneuver their 50+lbs bikes. Seems like that doesn't add up.

Tom

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

I didn't mean to imply that you did hate e-bikes. In my experience a lot of cyclists don't want them on the multi-use trails. For one, the reason the Tom just mentioned, lack of ability to control the bikes at the speeds they can reach. I haven't seen any studies that show that they tear up offroad trails any more than a standard mountain bike. Is this true or just a perception? I don't have a cat in this fight as I'm a roadie, just curious. I'll ask the shop mechanics, they're mountain bikers.

4 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I didn't mean to imply that you did hate e-bikes. In my experience a lot of cyclists don't want them on the multi-use trails. For one, the reason the Tom just mentioned, lack of ability to control the bikes at the speeds they can reach. I haven't seen any studies that show that they tear up offroad trails any more than a standard mountain bike. Is this true or just a perception? I don't have a cat in this fight as I'm a roadie, just curious. I'll ask the shop mechanics, they're mountain bikers.

https://www.imba.com/news/eMTB-early-study-results