Should We Just Use Common Sense or Imagined Facts?

Razors Edge

...to guide us in medical matters these days? Seems like folks are pretty happy to just go with their guts on things that are studied and tested and researched by "professionals" and to disregard or call into doubt the results of the pro's research.  Are we in a post-fact medical era now?

On the flip side, have folks also lost their minds on being able to spot clickbait vs real information? I see an awful lot of "I read recently xyz is bad for you" or "It's actually good for you to xyz instead of abc".  What level do you keep your BS-meter set at and have you recalibrated it recently?

Tom

28 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

It is all fake news. I find that wearing a tinfoil hat is helpful in deciphering the conflicting messages that we are bombarded with daily. 

As opposed to looking at the two sides and thinking it through? Tinfoil hats cause baldness, too!

Tom

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

As opposed to looking at the two sides and thinking it through? Tinfoil had cause baldness, too!

Tom

Too much work for the logical approach. Besides, in my case baldness is hereditary. And chicks dig it too. Although there is no scientific proof that this is true. 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Tell me again how much healthier margarine is than butter. I have heard that for over 60 years from all the "Experts".  Ok the last maybe ten years they all agree it's crap, don't ever eat it.

Tell me again what your research has shown.

Tom

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Best of both worlds is A leech. Using a single one avoids the bloating AND the AOS. I believe the flatulence is just normal for men.

Tom

If you position the leech just right, you can get rid of bloating and AOS and get a really unique balloon.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Who gets to decide what constitutes "common sense"?

Lately it seems to be politicians (oops!) some form of government, or a researcher operating on a government grant.

7 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Who gets to decide what constitutes "real information"?

Mostly Google and Facebook (although not necessarily in that order) and to a lesser extent Wiki-something-or-other.