Apples

Further

I just got Smittens for the first time, but haven't had any yet.  I gave some to my Mom who said they were "soft" and she liked them for her "old teeth".  That's not a ringing endorsement.

Here's an interesting article from USA Today about the marketing of different apple types.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Fuji are my favorite.  I do like a nice Honey Crisp but not at $4 a pound.  A couple weeks ago I got a 5-lb bag of Honey Crisps at Wegmans for $4.  Jackpot!

Did you turn around a sell them on e-Buy.  No?  That was foolish of you.  Buy low - sell high.

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Did you turn around a sell them on e-Buy.  No?  That was foolish of you.  Buy low - sell high.

We ate them and we only had to throw two away.  I generally avoid the multiple-pound bags, because you can't inspect each one - but at that price, even tossing two we came out ahead.

You guys pay a lot for apples... most varieties are $1.50 a lb at my grocery store with certain veriates .99 a lb. I like to mix it up and have a bunch of different types.  I generally avoid red delicious and green apples but have a drawer full of various apples I take to work daily.

• 6 years later...
On 11/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, Further said:

So what apple are you eating ? 

Honey Crisp apples are my goto. 

I tried Lemonaid apples over the weekend.  They were fine until the finish.  They had a funky after taste.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Honey Crisp apples are my goto. 

I tried Lemonaid apples over the weekend.  They were fine until the finish.  They had a funky after taste.

Bought a couple Honeycrisps this weekend for my wife. She likes them, and Trader Joes had some, so grabbed a couple.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:50 PM, Further said:

I'm really liking Ambrosia apples this year.

Haven't had any cider yet.

So what apple are you eating ? 

I've been eating Honeycrisp, mostly slices slathered with chunky peanut butter or chopped into bitesize pieces, nuked to semi-soft, and added to steel-cut oatmeal.

I also have liked every apple I've tasted that starts with "Jon:" Jonathan, Jonafree, etc. which also comes with a good story.

A man asked his groundskeeper to cut down an apple tree.  He didn't do a good job, it grew back from the stump, and produced great tasting apples and soon a nursery company was taking cuttings to graft onto roots.

The man named the apple after his groundskeeper: Jonathan.