Will you survive when the grid goes down?

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Kirby's near-death story made me think of this.  I will be dead quickly, having made no preparations for the coming apocalypse.

How will you survive/die if things go all to hell?

It'll be right, lad, the zombies will soon put you out of your misery.

I've got lots of dried beans & rice in my gaffe, water might be the problem, and the beer would soon be run out.

• Heart 1

As you might imagine, I wouldn't do well.  I was without power for a number of days after Sandy and it was miserable - no heat, lights, mircrowave etc.   My condo complex doesn't allow generators. I do have a lot of batteries and flashlights/lanterns so I mostly had power and I could take a cold shower, but had no way to dry my hair. There were some gas shortages, although I didn't run out, and there were a few restaurants around that had generators, so I could get a few hot meals.  If I were really desperate, the Salvation Army set up a shelter in the Activities Building of the condo complex.

10 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I think there are a lot of people out there that would actually welcome the apocalypse. Around here there are a bunch of survivalist types that hoard guns and ammo.

I'd struggle, but would survive 10 days or less just fine without power. If I was prudent, I'd buy more firewood now and stock up on batteries and non perishable groceries.

With the hoarders, I think they'll last a bit longer, but will get done in by something that they didn't plan for.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

They might be dug in pretty well, and could resist when you try to kill them.

The cowards? Nah. They'll run when confronted. That's SOP.  

If you're scared enough to stockpile for the apocalypse, you're not gonna be too tough to topple if it ever actually happens.

Tom

My neighbors are better prepared than the average person. They are already not connected to the grid. They do use petroleum and they do buy some of their food, those will run out but they have farms, gardens, home canned meat and vegetables, livestock, and they all have guns and know how to use them. They also have wells and spring houses but I don't know how many of them have hand pumps for their wells. Most seem to use gasoline powered pumps. I have a hand pump for my well and a small supply of food that I will be testing to see if it's something I want to stockpile. The possibility of what would happen is too horrible to even dwell on.

I have a portable generator with enough power to run the fridge, a television, a few lights, and a fan or two. For heat in the winter, we have a gas fireplace. In the summer it will have to be open windows and the fans. We have a gas grill and I have at least one full bottle of propane. We'd be good for a week or so.

"The Grid" is so much more than just electricity.

No traffic control.

No internet.

No communication

I think most people could survive without electricity at the home level. But when the institutional stuff goes away society breaks down. 

There are a lot of people with guns to defend their stuff. And there are a lot of people with guns to take it.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Further said:

No traffic control.

No internet.

No communication

I think most people could survive without electricity at the home level. But when the institutional stuff goes away society breaks down. 

There are a lot of people with guns to defend their stuff. And there are a lot of people with guns to take it.  

I think someone finally got it.

8 hours ago, Further said:

No traffic control.

No internet.

No communication

Yep.  That's why I said I'd need to be a lot younger.

• Awesome 1