Do you listen to Christmas music?

Randomguy

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I listen, but not before Thanksgiving.  I have my own thumb drive of music I'll play in the car, as well as listening to some on Sirius.

I avoid a lot of it, but I am not convinced that I should.  The stuff on the radio is insipid (or it will be, how many times have you heard "Grandma Got Run Over...").  I just remember liking it when my parents played it when I was a little kid.

I do like the Vince Guaraldi Trio stuff, though, which is weird, because most jazz kind of sucks.  Well, much of it, anyway.

We've got tons of CDs with holiday music. Most are ripped and in a "holiday" folder that you can hit shuffle on.  As x-mas gets near, we also listen to "Sounds of the Season" on the TV during dinner prep and the meal - that is, until "All I Want For Christmas...", Alvin & the Chipmunks, or "Santa Baby" comes on. I change it immediately as those are EVIL INCARNATE.

Tom 

Too many years of working in retail has me burned out on much of the mainstream classics. When I worked at the record store, I found several alternative Christmas songs. Some reverent, some maybe not so much. I put them on a cassette tape and we played it every year while opening presents with the kids. A few years back I found some more songs. The cassette player had died so I had moved the playlist to iTunes with all the new songs. I can now let the Christmas music play most of the day without a lot of repetition  

Last year, my adult kids asked if I could make a playlist of the original tape in the original order. Even non-traditional becomes tradition for some!

• Heart 1

Not before Thanksgiving!  And I get quite annoyed that it all stops on December 25.  Waiting for this year's Ho Ho Hoey.  Brian Setzer is playing his Christmas concert at the Kimmel Center, but it's before Thanksgiving, so I'll reluctantly stick to my guns and miss it.

I will be listening to some tonight, but that doesn't count, it's work, I have to plan Christmas Mass.

I enjoy and do play traditional Christmas music for several wks. in Dec.  --this includes music from baroque era (Renaissance) orchestral and choral. Handel's Messiah and Gloria Magnificant (Vivaldi) are great. (Latter may not be Christmas,...)  We have gone to Christmas orchestral concerts over the years.  

I'm not super keen on jazz, r 'n b and pop Christmas music interpretations.  Then it really sounds commercialized to me.

I've had it pounded into my brain that Christmas and it's music is bad. So I listen to it when ever I can. At home, in the car, at work in the truck, tractor etc. After the first of the year it makes me sad that its over.  :(

And I think Christmas lights should be renamed winter lights and enjoyed all winter. :nodhead:

1 hour ago, Goat Geddah said:

Christmas music will invoke some nice memories.  But I'm definitely always tired of it by the time Christmas Day rolls around. 

This is why I avoid it when I can until about a week before. I don't want to be tired of it on Christmas. 

BTW - Nick Lowe's "Quality Street" is easily my favorite Christmas Album in years. He wrote all but 1. They are fresh but sentimental at the same time. Worth a listen. I might even start playing this one a little early!