Ya ever have a pet turtle ?

Further

Had a couple of the little green ones you could buy in pet stores years ago.  Have also collected snapper eggs and hatched them in an aquarium. When I was around 10 I caught a small snapper, maybe 5-6 inches across. One day he bit me, grabbed me at the base of my little finger. Of course the first thing I did was try and shake him off. That only makes them hold tighter. My dad told me to put my hand on the picnic table and be still and he would let go. An hour later he still had a death grip on me. Dad got a 2-pound hammer and splat went the turtle. Still had to use pliers and a screwdriver to release the jaws. 

• Heart 1

I was in elementary school, our class had a turtle.  The teacher convinced every one it was a special reward to take him home for the weekend.  I am pretty sure parents did not feel that way.  I had him for Christmas break.  Next year the turtles were gone because apparently they transmitted a disease if you pet them.

Snapping turtles are bad ass, id never keep one as a pet nor put any part of my body near one.

One of the army bases I worked on back in the day had a swamp in the back perimeter and there was all sorts of wildlife back there.  One year we came across a huge snapping turtle that got hung up in the fence line.  His head was bigger than my fist.  He was hissing and had his mouth open so I grabbed a branch about 4' long, about 3" round and poked it.  The snapper lunged at the branch and snapped it in half like it was a toothpick!

I said F this and left him alone...

I had a thing for turtles when I was young. Had a lot of them, the little red ears, some bigger red ears 6" or so, a couple box turtles, and several snappers. Snappers seemed to be the most common wild turtle around us, and I caught several of them.

Snappers can be safely held by the tail, but their neck is a lot longer than you would think, and they can strike incredibly fast. 

29 minutes ago, Further said:

I had a thing for turtles when I was young. Had a lot of them, the little red ears, some bigger red ears 6" or so, a couple box turtles, and several snappers. Snappers seemed to be the most common wild turtle around us, and I caught several of them.

Snappers can be safely held by the tail, but their neck is a lot longer than you would think, and they can strike incredibly fast. 

NOW you tell me!

Out biking one day, saw a large snapper in the middle of the road, so I picked it up by the shell where it couldn't dig those nasty claws in my hands.  Just as I leaned over the guardrail to put it down, the jaws cam flying around and sure enough, neck was long enough to reach all the way back to my hands.  Dropped (threw?) that sucker quick before it got me.  Of course, also pulling back managed to split my elbow open on the guardrail.

No, but I got bit (hard) by a painted turtle on the finger as a kid, it took a piece right out of the tip at the time.

That's when I learned snapping turtles are definitely not the only turtles that bite.  And that a turtle can hang on to your finger through three hard shakes while whipping that thing through the air before it goes flying off and landing on its back. And that it hurts like screaming bloody hell.

And @Zackny, thank you.  I feel better I'm not the only one.

painted-turtle1-a7673a77.jpeg