Tell me what you need

Square Wheels

So, no promises, but what else would help make this site a success?  Content is king, and I know you folks will help drive that.

I also purchased the blog software for this site, but it's currently disabled.  I'll likely use that for articles on bike repair / maintenance.

What other gadgets would be helpful?

Other themes that users can select on their own?

Classifieds? (2 votes)

Photos? (this one scares me)

Edited by Square Wheels
Edited for vote update

Another vote for classifieds

Pictures? Maybe change max size to 1024 X 768

Thanks, I changed the size to 1024 X 768, it will likely only affect new images though.

For pictures themselves, there is the option to install a Photo Gallery section.  I'd need to purchase it and am a little afraid it would be abused.

Thanks, I changed the size to 1024 X 768, it will likely only affect new images though.

For pictures themselves, there is the option to install a Photo Gallery section.  I'd need to purchase it and am a little afraid it would be abused.

I don't know as you would want to purchase anything else at this point anyways as I'm guessing you've already invested a fair amount.  Need to get the sight to take off first.

I had know idea how easy it is to post pictures, no silly messing around at all!  Sweet!

Yeap, this software really seems to be first rate.  I was amazed last night when I threw up a youtube video from my phone using the mobile sight.  That was just sick how easy and well it worked.

I don't think you need to add a photo gallery.  There's a ton of free photo hosting sites we can use.  A photography sub-forum woulb be cool, though.

Problem is, you get to many subforums you disperse things out and it ends up making the entire place seem dead.  Try going over to Bike Forums, they are so guilty of that.  It gets old jumping from section to section when most of the threads are almost a year old.

THe new LF has the feature of clicking "First unread post", allowing you to pick up reading a thread where you left off, instead of going to the beginning or the most recent post made. Is that a viable option here?

There's a dot in the column all the way to the left.  It'll be dark if there are unread replies.  It'll be a star if you have posted to that topic.  Click it and it will take you to the first unread post.  Alternatively, mouseover the topic title and a small window till pop up previewing the starting post, the first unread post, and the newest post, with buttons to be taken to any of the 3.

There's a dot in the column all the way to the left.  It'll be dark if there are unread replies.  It'll be a star if you have posted to that topic.  Click it and it will take you to the first unread post.  Alternatively, mouseover the topic title and a small window till pop up previewing the starting post, the first unread post, and the newest post, with buttons to be taken to any of the 3.

ty, will try that.

There is a lot of space underneath each post.  In a perfect world, we would tighten that up a bit to prevent scrolling elbow or some other disease.  Does this software allow that?

Kind of.  I can make the avatars smaller and remove Location and Like.  Those are some of the things that add to this site but also are adding to the height of each post.

Ditto on the warning points.  Or the description where mine says "celery" and below where it says "members".

Do you see just your warning points?  You should not be able to see anyone elses.  I'll never use those so I should look into getting rid of it.  If there are problem people here I'll talk nicely first, then just ban them.  No need for a points system.

The warning system is now turned off.

I like the Like.  I never go to facebook, it makes me feel included and important.

• Heart 1

I like the like, too. 

Having trouble scrolling?  Step into the 21st century and get a wheel mouse!

SW, did you notice my post about spell check?

Well, I guess I'll need to be snarky to you and suggest you get a 21st century browser with spell check built in, or an add on like Speckie for IE.   :P

It doesn't look like I can give you spell checking, sorry.

Spell check wasn't working for me in Firefox.  But was poking around on the IP Board support pages and figured out it's not automatically enabled on this forum software.  So you just have to enable it and select a dictionary.  That's what got me, it said enabled, I kept forgetting to make sure it had a dictionary selected, which it didn't.

Spell check wasn't working for me in Firefox.  But was poking around on the IP Board support pages and figured out it's not automatically enabled on this forum software.  So you just have to enable it and select a dictionary.  That's what got me, it said enabled, I kept forgetting to make sure it had a dictionary selected, which it didn't.

This is something SW needs to do, or me?

ETA:  NM, I found it.  Type some text, right click on it, make sure spell checking is checked.  Under that is Languages with a sub menu, choose English as the language.  Now it works.

Well, I guess I'll need to be snarky to you and suggest you get a 21st century browser with spell check built in, or an add on like Speckie for IE.   :P

It doesn't look like I can give you spell checking, sorry.

But then I'd need to be snarky back and point out that my OP said I was running firefox which does have spell check built in. 

Not sure why it works everywhere else without selecting a language.  Combined with the other mention I saw where google offered to translate the site, is there a setting on this board where you should set the default language?

But then I'd need to be snarky back and point out that my OP said I was running firefox which does have spell check built in. 

Not sure why it works everywhere else without selecting a language.  Combined with the other mention I saw where google offered to translate the site, is there a setting on this board where you should set the default language?

Sorry, I don't know much about FF, I only use Chrome and IE for work when forced to.

As for the comment about translating, are you sure that was here?  It might have been at LF.  I think one of the members I sent the spam to had an indonesian name.  Chrome keeps asking me to translate when I view that Dialog too, but never here.

Sorry, I don't know much about FF, I only use Chrome and IE for work when forced to.

As for the comment about translating, are you sure that was here?  It might have been at LF.  I think one of the members I sent the spam to had an indonesian name.  Chrome keeps asking me to translate when I view that Dialog too, but never here.

From what I've read, it's a pretty common problem on IP Boards.  They state that they don't control the browser, which they don't, so it's up the user to set it up on their browser.  So it didn't sound like their is any setting you can flip to make it work by default for everyone.

Yeah, you could be right.  MC's remark was a little ambiguous as to the site he was referring to.

I don't recall selecting the language before on other sites, but maybe I did.  Either way, works now so no sense in wasting any more bandwidth on it.

How about a cycling discussion forum?

I just posted a topic about how long we have been riding and maybe it doesn't quite fit in with how horny threads! :D

I think cycling discussion forums did pretty well on other sites.

OK it's official! The other forum is off my favorites tool bar and Square Wheels is on!  B)

We need more annoying emoticons.  I like annoying emoticons.

Just for you, new emoticons.   :quit ur:

Can we get a lacrosse section too?

Maybe later, there are still lots of empty cycling forums.

How about a cycling discussion forum?

I just posted a topic about how long we have been riding and maybe it doesn't quite fit in with how horny threads! :D

You did see there are several cycling forums here.  The plan is for "real" cyclists to eventually take over and post threads about bikes, riding, gel, watts...

I just posted a topic about how long we have been riding and maybe it doesn't quite fit in with how horny threads! :D'

LONG RIDES MAKE ME HORNY!

They will here, too.

OK it's official! The other forum is off my favorites tool bar and Square Wheels is on!  B)

Yay!

You did see there are several cycling forums here.  The plan is for "real" cyclists to eventually take over and post threads about bikes, riding, gel, watts...

I don't mind moving it to a cycling forum but beginners forum? 19 years of cycling wouldn't be considered beginners imo. That is why I suggested a general cycling forum. But it's your house! ;)