Drone from bed 'n bath store?- a lifestyle choice?

shootingstar

Until I got a mail flyer, ....camera drones from the chain store for bed linens, towels and lifestyle place?  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/s/drone-video?ta=typeahead

Ok, I actually find these aerial toys dangerous. Lots of ordinary folks don't know what they are doing. A yea, my employer (govn't) has a large drone that...crashed. We use it for surveying data capture over landfill sites...which we follow federal law and have certified staff operating the controls.

Well, you know so far my post got more than 10 views before you airehead. Hmmmm, I guess people think it's like just another camera or toy thing not worth commenting.  The local police here had a public education session at their headquarters to explain to the public about the law and stuff.  

This past spring, my partner and I had early supper in park downtown....just 50 metres away was another couple where the guy launched his heavy drone ...above the trees. This is illegal and freakn' dangerous. There were other people in park, highrise buildings, etc. Then a medical helicopter flew over us all....that drone was brought down quickly.  

By the way my employer's drone is being repaired....it costed the organizations probably well $10,000 and more. By law, we can't even fly that thing over roads traffic..and we manage, build and repair roads. That's how strict the CAnadian law is. We have to block off traffic and then can fly the drone over empty road..

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

We have to block off traffic and then can fly the drone over empty road..

Is that law or your agencies policy. When we do sling loads with helicopters we either have to avoid crossing roads or stop traffic when we do. I think for smaller drones, I think under 2 lbs, they must follow rules set by the FFA. For drones being used for commercial purposes the pilot must be licensed. I can see where used improperly they could not only be dangerous at times but also annoying.

2 hours ago, Zackny said:

Is that law or your agencies policy. When we do sling loads with helicopters we either have to avoid crossing roads or stop traffic when we do. I think for smaller drones, I think under 2 lbs, they must follow rules set by the FFA. For drones being used for commercial purposes the pilot must be licensed. I can see where used improperly they could not only be dangerous at times but also annoying.

Our organization (municipal) follows that requirement which is Canadian federal law...Transport Canada ...they cover air, rail, etc. That's the authority also that pulled the planes off during 9-11 in Canadian skies. Same as FAA.

It is Transport Canada that issues training and certification for operators.

2 years ago, a friend and I were watching fireworks from a hill in the city...we notice 2 sets of strange tiny lights hanging in the air.  They were drones...and that is illegal also. There was traffic and people watching down below at bottom of hill.  We were on a hill in downtown core.  Not out in farming country.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:31 PM, shootingstar said:

Until I got a mail flyer, ....camera drones from the chain store for bed linens, towels and lifestyle place?  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/s/drone-video?ta=typeahead

Ok, I actually find these aerial toys dangerous. Lots of ordinary folks don't know what they are doing. A yea, my employer (govn't) has a large drone that...crashed. We use it for surveying data capture over landfill sites...which we follow federal law and have certified staff operating the controls.

On a scale of 1 (low)-10 (high) of "danger", these rate about a 2.  

On a scale of 1 (low)-10 (high) of "hyped pseudo-danger", these rate about a 9.   

Tom