I'ma guessing gout

2Far

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yikes!  Is it painful?  I have gout and the flares were brutal.  I nearly tool myself to ER once it was so bad.   

If you think you are having a flair drinking a lot of water can help.

I've broken 8 or 9 bones over the years. A major gout attact is more painful than half of them. The only plus side is that gout usually goes away after a few days.

I went to the ER for my first gout attack. I waited until the next day for my heart attack.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Here’s my left foot. You might notice a little red spot on the big toe joint. I take Allopurinol, so I haven’t had a painful flare up in years. 

Is the red spot indicative of gout? My left big toe joint has been off/on a little uncomfortable for a few years. I was thinking maybe I was getting a bunion.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I have had gout flare ups.  Pretty painful.  A tell-tale sign is when it hurts for even a sheet to lay on your toe when you go to bed.  there are meds that really help.  You should be seen.

Yeah, I've had the sheet/toe pressure thing twice before (2+ years ago), this was a more hurts-to-bend-it, hurts-to-walk kind of deal. It was really tender on top of the joint and arc around the back of the joint. The bottom, although swollen, wasn't really sore.

15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Maybe look into a new diet?

Yeah, the last time I looked at a low purine diet, it was highly restrictive. A bout of gout every 2 years makes it seem like diet doesn't have that great an effect on the timing in my case.

FTR, my diet the last 2 weeks hasn't been any different than it has been the last two years.

I have gout.  I looked at all the stuff on the low purine diet and none of it was stuff I ate.  

I started following what I ate and found my triggers are diet drinks with aspartame and highly processed deli meat, (Subway sandwiches)  If I limit or eliminate those items from my diet, almost no gout flares and I too take allopurinol.  Been years and years since I have had a serious flare up, but I have had it so bad in the past I was reduced to crawling, as I could not walk.  

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, the last time I looked at a low purine diet, it was highly restrictive. A bout of gout every 2 years makes it seem like diet doesn't have that great an effect on the timing in my case.

FTR, my diet the last 2 weeks hasn't been any different than it has been the last two years.

Hydration and minor injuries can cause a flare.  I once turned my ankle stepping off a rock.  No biggie so I thought and walked the rest of the afternoon on it.  But it triggered a flare later that night that was terrible.

My Dr put me on Allapurinol for the same reasons.  He said your numbers are off the charts, if you tried to restrict your diet to control it you would be miserable.  Better to take something for it.  I also have a standing script for a med that knocks down flares.  They are expensive as hell and so I get 5 pills at a time for like $100 but it will knock the shit out of a flare.

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have gout.  I looked at all the stuff on the low purine diet and none of it was stuff I ate.  

I started following what I ate and found my triggers are diet drinks with aspartame and highly processed deli meat, (Subway sandwiches)  If I limit or eliminate those items from my diet, almost no gout flares and I too take allopurinol.  Been years and years since I have had a serious flare up, but I have had it so bad in the past I was reduced to crawling, as I could not walk.  

When I was driving a lot for work I would get minor flares.  My wife thought being in the car so long was causing it and I told her driving/sitting had no correlation and dismissed it although there was a definite connection.  It then clicked, I was pounding diet soda and coffee on my drives....  

Since cutting back on diet soda I haven't had a minor flare since.  I haven't had a major flare since going on meds.

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

It seems, from Dr. Wiki the Healthcare Adviser, that gout has four causes that can be individually or cumulatively responsible for gout. Lifestyle, Genetics, Medical Conditions, & Medication.  Two are fairly easy to address - lifestyle and medication - as you really ought to be 100% clear what you are putting into your body. Genetics is impossible to fix right now, but if you check into your family history, it might help you see if it is "normal" and more challenging to deal with. Medical conditions can either be something you have caused & can fix or are just bad luck & an extra fun side-effect is gout. :(

My recommendation is MORE COFFEE!!!!! since this is what Dr Wiki has to say:

Dietary causes account for about 12% of gout, and include a strong association with the consumption of alcohol, fructose-sweetened drinks, meat, and seafood. Other triggers include physical trauma and surgery.
Studies in the early 2000s found that other dietary factors are not relevant. Specifically, moderate consumption of purine-rich vegetables (e.g., beans, peas, lentils and spinach) are not associated with gout. Neither is total consumption of protein. Alcohol consumption is strongly associated with an increased risk, with wine presenting somewhat less of a risk than beer and spirits.
The consumption of coffee, vitamin C and dairy products, as well as physical fitness, appear to decrease the risk. This is believed to be partly due to their effect in reducing insulin resistance.

Tom