It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Longjohn

WOLJ may be hijacking my car at 3:45am when she leaves for work. She is still driving a Honda Civic while our son has her Pilot. They need it with the eight seats with their kids. My wife hates two wheel drive going to work where she does. The one time our son borrowed her car she got stuck at work and I had to go get her. (long commute) I told her she was welcome to use it but she doesn't really like my car. It's a guy car and usually has an assortment of guy stuff all over (tire pump, tool box, PFD, tackle box, fishing poles, kayak paddles, sometimes a bike or two). It only has a tool box and a jogging stroller at the moment so she shouldn't be too embarrassed to drive it.

33 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Originally the Element was 'sposed to be a millenialmoble, but that never happened.  Honda must have been horrified when all you old people took a liking to them. :D

And I guess they are not very girly, being so boxy and utilitarian.

So I'm what killt the element? Who knew. It's probably because when people ask me how I like it I tell them it's the best car ever made. I can haul bikes inside it with out laying them down or taking off any wheels, I haul canoes and kayaks on the roof, I have bike racks that I can haul more bikes on the the back if needed on the hitch, I can put stuff on my trailer if it doesn't fit with all the other stuff. It's AWD so it doesn't get stuck, and it still gets over 20mpg.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

So I'm what killt the element? Who knew. It's probably because when people ask me how I like it I tell them it's the best car ever made. I can haul bikes inside it with out laying them down or taking off any wheels, I haul canoes and kayaks on the roof, I have bike racks that I can haul more bikes on the the back if needed on the hitch, I can put stuff on my trailer if it doesn't fit with all the other stuff. It's AWD so it doesn't get stuck, and it still gets over 20mpg.

It is really sort of puzzling why they discontinued it.  I;'ll bet Uncle Google knows why!

Here we go.  Is the Scion xB really similar?

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/04/business/la-fi-autos-honda-element-20101204

38 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Here we go.  Is the Scion xB really similar?

No it's not. None of those other vehicles that are selling like hot cakes can do what the Element can. Not even mentioning the maintenance costs of the Element are extremely low. My wife has had two CRVs, they are good vehicles but not great for hauling bikes and other stuff. I understand if nobody is buying a product you will quit making it. The reason nobody was buying the Element is because the people that wanted one bought one and they were not going to give it up. They were still making Elements when I bought mine but it was almost impossible to find one for sale used. I expanded my online search to 150 miles looking for one.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

No it's not. None of those other vehicles that are selling like hot cakes can do what the Element can. Not even mentioning the maintenance costs of the Element are extremely low. My wife has had two CRVs, they are good vehicles but not great for hauling bikes and other stuff. I understand if nobody is buying a product you will quit making it. The reason nobody was buying the Element is because the people that wanted one bought one and they were not going to give it up. They were still making Elements when I bought mine but it was almost impossible to find one for sale used. I expanded my online search to 150 miles looking for one.

My maintenance cost has been higher than I expected.

I went to the dealer for awhile, then to a retired Honda guy working out of his garage. Now I'm back DIY & the Honda guy if it's over my head. 

I'm on my second exhaust (cat cost 1200) third set of calipers, several sets of brake pads, one rear wheel bearing, the gizmo the controls the valve timing, ignition switch, and the bottom is rusting to nothing at an alarming rate.

It has about 145,000 on it.