Happy & Yet a Little Sad...

ChrisL

Took my FIL to our kids softball game Friday night and our kids played well.  My son was playing left field and ranged deep into the hole between left and center field and caught the ball for the out.  There was a runner on 3rd who didnt think hed range that far so had to come back and tag up. My kid unleashed a monster throw from deep in the outfield that arrived without a hop and beat the runner by a step for the out. I had never seen anyone make a similar throw playing the past 4 years.

Both teams were amazed by the throw, the runner actually bowed to my kid after the tag. People watching  in the stands were stunned but I was actually a little sad.  The kid could go so much farther in baseball if he wanted to... But he seems happy with the decision to step away from it so I'm happy for him. 

But damn...

I hear ya. My youngest was scouted the last two years of high school by some pretty good colleges. He decided to join the Army and get married. His life, his choices...but damn

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Took my FIL to our kids softball game Friday night and our kids played well.  My son was playing left field and ranged deep into the hole between left and center field and caught the ball for the out.  There was a runner on 3rd who didnt think hed range that far so had to come back and tag up. My kid unleashed a monster throw from deep in the outfield that arrived without a hop and beat the runner by a step for the out. I had never seen anyone make a similar throw playing the past 4 years.

Both teams were amazed by the throw, the runner actually bowed to my kid after the tag. People watching  in the stands were stunned but I was actually a little sad.  The kid could go so much farther in baseball if he wanted to... But he seems happy with the decision to step away from it so I'm happy for him. 

But damn...

The step between college - minor league - major league are significant. I could see a kid going full speed through college for the experience (and the babes), but that "drafted but in single A" life is not a fun or good one - unless it is only brief enough to get you up to the majors.

Tom 

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The step between college - minor league - major league are significant. I could see a kid going full speed through college for the experience (and the babes), but that "drafted but in single A" life is not a fun or good one - unless it is only brief enough to get you up to the majors.

Tom 

I never had major league dreams other than I hoped he would take it as far as he could go.  He had a roster spot and probably would have made significant strides next season and has the stuff to compete at the collegiate level but walked away.  The whole "left a lot in the tank" thing but its his tank so I get it.

Just now, ChrisL said:

I never had major league dreams other than I hoped he would take it as far as he could go.  He had a roster spot and probably would have made significant strides next season and has the stuff to compete at the collegiate level but walked away.  The whole "left a lot in the tank" thing but its his tank so I get it.

Yeah - that step is the one I can see him (and you) missing.  You are only young once, so opportunities don't return to many for things like this. Of course, college in general can be pretty awesome regardless of participating in a sport. Maybe he can just dominate the rec teams at school. A few of my friends were pretty good at sports, so when we would get together for a game, they got to shine, but didn't then have to go practice for another 4 hours or hop on a bus to the next state over.

But, yeah, how do you get a college-aged kid to think about how he is going to feel in twenty years when he looks back and realizes he might have missed out big time???

Tom

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - that step is the one I can see him (and you) missing.  You are only young once, so opportunities don't return to many for things like this. Of course, college in general can be pretty awesome regardless of participating in a sport. Maybe he can just dominate the rec teams at school. A few of my friends were pretty good at sports, so when we would get together for a game, they got to shine, but didn't then have to go practice for another 4 hours or hop on a bus to the next state over.

But, yeah, how do you get a college-aged kid to think about how he is going to feel in twenty years when he looks back and realizes he might have missed out big time???

Tom

Exactly, you articulated my own thoughts better than I did...