So Chris’s Happy yet sad thread

Gump

Got me wondering if anyone here ever “almost” made it in sports. When I was 17 I might have been on my way to a spot on the US Ski team. Then I hit a bridge at about 60+ mph which ended my competitive skiing. I was also offered two partial scholarships to DivisionIII schools to play hockey. Instead I decided to work construction.☹️

Not really. I was a decent Jr and Amateur bike racer in the early 80's and had dreams of going pro but hit a dose of reality named Greg Oravets.  (Look him up)

I realized then and there what a future pro looked like and he was miles ahead of me so decided to move on with my life.

I did pretty well playing high school basketball, and was actually recruited to play at the college I attended.  Once I got there and had a couple scrimmages it was quite clear to me that I did well in high school because I was tall, and not because I was good (or at least that's how I saw it).  These other guys were tall (or not), they were students of the game and they were tough.  I was in way over my head and I ended up deciding that my studies were likely to suffer if I devoted enough time to my game as I'd need in order to compete.  (OK, and I wanted to still be able to see my girlfriend sometimes).  It was tough telling the coach I'd decided not to play; he was a really great guy (and he died a couple years after I graduated).

For whatever it's worth - I have never regretted my decision not to play varsity (I ended up playing on club teams with good friends).

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I did pretty well playing high school basketball, and was actually recruited to play at the college I attended.  Once I got there and had a couple scrimmages it was quite clear to me that I did well in high school because I was tall, and not because I was good (or at least that's how I saw it).  These other guys were tall (or not), they were students of the game and they were tough.  I was in way over my head and I ended up deciding that my studies were likely to suffer if I devoted enough time to my game as I'd need in order to compete.  (OK, and I wanted to still be able to see my girlfriend sometimes).  It was tough telling the coach I'd decided not to play; he was a really great guy (and he died a couple years after I graduated).

For whatever it's worth - I have never regretted my decision not to play varsity (I ended up playing on club teams with good friends).

I sort of wanted to ask you aboot basketball but I didn;t want to stereotype. :D

• Heart 1

I was in the Navy lacrosse program in the 70s. Knee injury made me take the left fork in the road. Ironically,  the academy docs misdiagnosed it and I had fixed at home.

When I got to Potsdam & tried out for the Div I hockey team, I hadn't had skates on in 18+ months  & had semi-major (for the time) knee surgery about six weeks earlier. I was, rusty. Played IM & on the Potsdam Pioneers town team. Traveled thru all the small Canadian towns from just southwest of Montreal to just Northeast of Toronto.