Google Charlie Rose, right now!

The_Karen_Cooper_Incident

What Rose did was not just "unwanted sexual advances."

If a man asks a woman if she'd like to engage in a spot of heavy breathing and she does not, that is an "unwanted sexual advance."

Grabbing a woman's buttocks, putting his hand on a woman's upper thigh, etc. is closer to an assault.

But note that, to protect their careers, these women waited years before reporting the incidents - condemning many women to experience the same thing.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Grabbing a woman's buttocks, putting his hand on a woman's upper thigh, etc. is closer to an assault.

But note that, to protect their careers, these women waited years before reporting the incidents - condemning many women to experience the same thing.

The maneuovre described above IS sexual assault.  It's important that men realize this.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

This one is tough, and it shows up in every facet of life.  "why should I have to sacrifice my career, before it really gets started, because Charlie Rose slapped me on the ass?"

It was only a few years ago where we had many pro cyclists admitted to doping because they didn't want to give up their career.  Same emotion/behavior...self first.  That's normal.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

It's good that this ongoing situation is now in the public eye.  I'm afraid however that it might get out of hand.  (bad pun not intended)

I think this is an example of exactly how it can and will and maybe is out of hand.  Ivy League educated, therefore intelligent, woman starts off with "I'm glad I've never experienced any of this behavior" and evolves to "I've been harassed in everything I've worked on."  Whoa...that's quite a shift.  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/natalie-portman-says-she-has-100-stories-about-sexual-harassment-in-hollywood/

This is what happened to me:

*an engineer sort of play-grabbed around the waist from behind:  "You're so slim.."   It was in front a few other engineers at the office.

*knee of a judge touched mine. Under the office table.  I was explaining to him some research that I did for him.

*a guy grabbed my wrist..and said that I was thin.

*a guy was walking to my hotel rm. ...after I had a coffee with him. (Yea, I was naïve.) He attempted to open the door while I was moving to unlock it.  I glared at him and told him to get out. He got the message. 

I am an ordinary looking woman...I am not a head turner.  The above stuff is creepy and did verge on dangerous.  

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

The maneuovre described above IS sexual assault.  It's important that men realize this.

Agreed, (this will be an unpopular but) but, he is a product of his day.  Back then, a pinch on the butt was an accepted flirtatious behaviour.  By today's standard, it is completely wrong.  Times change, the old guard dies and old standards die with them. 

Any kind of touching in the workplace really should be avoided.  That's why I was a little iffy about the candy down the cleavage incident a few weeks ago.  Totally happenstance but you never know.  As a manager for many years I never touched female staff other than a hand shake or maybe a high 5.  Just a bad idea in general.

On the topic of touching, intent also has to be factored into the equation.  It's hard to justify a butt grab as anything other than a sexual assault but if a female staffer is about to inadvertently walk into a puddle and a male employee puts his hand on her waist to guide her around the puddle and she is offended by it, it's hard to prove assault.  An inadvertent knee bump at a conference room table or accidentally elbowing a womans breast in a crowded elevator isn't necessarily a sexual assault

But it can be a slippery slope...

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

If a man asks a woman if she'd like to engage in a spot of heavy breathing and she does not, that is an "unwanted sexual advance."

BS, that is called a question.  If she says no, I don't want to, that is not anything close to assault or inappropriate anything.  Someone perceives interest, asks directly if someone else is interested, and gets an answer.  It is only inappropriate if the one continues on after being told of non-interest.   "Hmmm, you seem highly interested in me and appear to be undressing me with your eyes.  I would appreciate it if you women would learn to directly approach me with a declaration of sexual interest, rather than have me try to guess what is going on in your head".

This is the kind of societal thing that is good for everyone when obviously creepy or illegal behavior is occurring unabated.  That said, when every little thing begins to be considered an affront to women, everybody loses.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Any kind of touching in the workplace really should be avoided.

This is true, I am always kind of confused when I see someone else touch another in a workplace situation.  I think of it more as a "keep the hell out of my personal space" thing, because I don't like to get touched if there is no reason for it, so it stands to reason that most people don't want to be.  Plus, you never know when somebody will misinterpret what seems clear to you.  

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Any kind of touching in the workplace really should be avoided. 

A few months ago I was in my office showing a woman coworker something on my computer.  She leaned over a couple of times to point to something on my monitor.  She bumped me with her boob.  Not just once.  There was more than enough room to have avoided this.  Should I report her?  I chose to ignore it.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

A few months ago I was in my office showing a woman coworker something on my computer.  She leaned over a couple of times to point to something on my monitor.  She bumped me with her boob.  Not just once.  There was more than enough room to have avoided this.  Should I report her?  I chose to ignore it.

YOU HAVE BEEN ASSAULTED!  LOCK HER UP!

Were here boobs that big, or did she just like to sling them about?

Just now, Bubonic Plague said:

YOU HAVE BEEN ASSAULTED!  LOCK HER UP!

Were here boobs that big, or did she just like to sling them about?

I'd say bigger than average, but again, there was plenty of room.  I have two monitors.

Did it bother me?  Not in a bad way.

It did give me a tiny glimpse of what women have had to endure from men callous enough to harass them, and girls when I was in junior high slapping butts and snapping bras.

I think when it goes on unabated like it does in the entertainment industry people of power think they can get away with it and had been for decades.  But it's not just that industry nor just men...

In college I worked for a local school district as a kitchen helper.  Id get various items from the warehouse and freezers and help out with meal prep and clean up.  My mom got me the job but she didnt work in this kitchen and i was the only male employee there.  I was in my early 20's and most of the women were in their 40s and 50's.

Those freaking women were very handsy and would pinch and fondle my butt, generally when I was lifting something or was doing something. It started with one lady and the next thing I know a bunch of them were doing it.  I didn't know at that time I was being sexually harassed and assaulted but getting felt up daily by a bunch old.fat women wasn't ideal so I asked for a transfer to a school and worked their instead.  Except the biddies kept telling the boss lady they needed me in the kitchen so I kept getting pulled back.  After a few months a said screw it and quit. Never reported it as many of them were my mom's friends.

It was similar behavior in that if they know they can get away with it they are going to do it.and they did.  It's not really gender specific but men are often the culprit.

By Joanna Weiss   AUGUST 26, 2012

In her 1964 book “Sex and the Office,” Helen Gurley Brown told the story of a game called “Scuttle,” which she had witnessed while working at a Los Angeles radio station. Every afternoon, she wrote, a group of men would choose a secretary, chase her around the office, catch her, and take her panties off. (The game was later recreated on an episode of “Mad Men.”) In her book, Brown treats the game as a pleasant diversion, even a source of wistfulness about her own appearance. “Alas,” she wrote, “I was never scuttled.”

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think when it goes on unabated like it does in the entertainment industry people of power think they can get away with it and had been for decades.  But it's not just that industry nor just men...

In college I worked for a local school district as a kitchen helper.  Id get various items from the warehouse and freezers and help out with meal prep and clean up.  My mom got me the job but she didnt work in this kitchen and i was the only male employee there.  I was in my early 20's and most of the women were in their 40s and 50's.

Those freaking women were very handsy and would pinch and fondle my butt, generally when I was lifting something or was doing something. It started with one lady and the next thing I know a bunch of them were doing it.  I didn't know at that time I was being sexually harassed and assaulted but getting felt up daily by a bunch old.fat women wasn't ideal so I asked for a transfer to a school and worked their instead.  Except the biddies kept telling the boss lady they needed me in the kitchen so I kept getting pulled back.  After a few months a said screw it and quit. Never reported it as many of them were my mom's friends.

It was similar behavior in that if they know they can get away with it they are going to do it.and they did.  It's not really gender specific but men are often the culprit.

As a young man, I faced similar circumstances. The women would chase me around trying to get me up in the loft with one of the other women. The men would just laugh at my predicament. I feel so violated. :hapydance:

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

As a young man, I faced similar circumstances. The women would chase me around trying to get me up in the loft with one of the other women. The men would just laugh at my predicament. I feel so violated. :hapydance:

Is this actually true, or are you making light of this man's past experiences of sexual harassment by women?

DK

I know the men here think it's funny for what they may have experienced. Stupid (because it is), to hear older women would even touch a younger guy.

It's a creepy feeling to be the recipient. It's not for alot of women, a rollicking version of having fun in the workplace or with work colleagues.

I have yet to hear from my oldest niece who is 32 yrs. She was taking business trips  after university, overseas as a geotechnical engineer in very remote areas of the world....and she was only 25-29 yrs. old. I am certain she was harassed since she has a fresh "innocent" look.  Well, not really since she's married.   She complained at conferences which were male dominant, a lot of guys were as old as ..her father.

She left the profession but clearly decries sexual harassment, misogyny.... 

On 11/21/2017 at 7:12 AM, shootingstar said:

It's important that men realize this.

It's important that women realize it too.  They have a obligation to report it when it happens.  People - men and women - who harass other men and women will continue to do so while they believe they won't get caught or while there are no consequences to their actions.

26 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It's important that women realize it too.  They have a obligation to report it when it happens.  People - men and women - who harass other men and women will continue to do so while they believe they won't get caught or while there are no consequences to their actions.

Even though abuse occurs, there are unwritten rules for working relationships. The work place should be separate from situations that are appropriate for sexual advances. The "rules" should allow men and women to stand up against unwanted sexual advances. It is the deference to authority that allows those "in power" to initiate and continue poor behavior.

I used to read a lot of books with opinions on how to exercise power in life and in the work place. Weird stuff, really. What I learned from those readings is that if under those conditions, act with confidence. In other words, when somebody wants to exercise control over you, fuck 'em and carry on. It's the only way. Just ask @jsharr:lol:

• Heart 1