This TV News Host Didn't Harass Anyone!

Razors Edge

...and I'm more sympathetic to the crime committed:

Jeanine F. Pirro, the high-octane host of a Fox News Channel show, was given a summons on Sunday for driving 119 miles per hour in upstate New York, according to the State Police. Ms. Pirro, a former Westchester County district attorney who now hosts the Fox News television show “Justice with Judge Jeanine,” said in a statement that she was unaware that she was going nearly double the speed limit of 65 miles an hour. “I had been driving for hours to visit my ailing 89-year-old mom and didn’t realize how fast I was driving,” she said in the statement through a Fox News spokeswoman. “I believe in the rule of law and I will pay the consequences. Ms. Pirro was pulled over at 1:15 p.m. on Route 17 in the town of Nichols, N.Y., in the Southern Tier, about 25 miles east of Elmira, where she grew up and where her mother still lives, according to news reports.

Tom

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Meh.  Obviously traffic wasn't a factor so I doubt she endangered others but she would be limiting her options if a deer got in the way.  Give her a ticket and be done with it. 

Isn't that what happened until the n00b, Razor dredged up the dirt?

I can't imagine not realizing I was driving 119 mph.  But I'm thinking one obvious indicator would be the rate at which I'd be passing other cars, and that's a relatively quiet highway (especially compared to this area).  So if she was the only car around I guess I could see that. 

......no, I still can't fathom it.  If I was pulled over for driving 54 mph in excess of the speed limit I think I would have every expectation of being carted off to jail.

6 minutes ago, Bubonic Plague said:

I think most people drive far too slowly, and should stop.

The worst of them do! On more than one occasion I have seen idiots driving on an Interstate slow and come to a complete stop ON THE HIGHWAY IN A LANE. WTF????

Tom

I regularly drive 80 to 85 on the highway on my commute.  Several times I've found myself cruising at 90 for no good reason.  Until I look at the speedometer I had no idea.  That's in my little Civic.  If I had a real car like a full sized Cadillac, I could see busting 100 in the same situation.  It's not a stretch to get to 119 mph from there.  I wouldn't want to be doing any texting at that speed......

2 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I can't imagine not realizing I was driving 119 mph.  But I'm thinking one obvious indicator would be the rate at which I'd be passing other cars, and that's a relatively quiet highway (especially compared to this area).  So if she was the only car around I guess I could see that. 

......no, I still can't fathom it.  If I was pulled over for driving 54 mph in excess of the speed limit I think I would have every expectation of being carted off to jail.

I was pulled over by a very bored Virginia State Policeman at 130+ and got away without a ticket.  It was night on an empty large straight highway and I stopped and waited for him over the next rise.  He got to drive my car and he appreciated that I stopped instead of running.  I was lucky. He was a gearhead at heart.

The next time, the police and I temporarily shut down the highway (Virginia Beach Expressway) for a few minutes in the wee hours of the morning just because we all wanted to see what the car could do.  I clocked 158 on the radar gun.  The cruiser that was with me at the start was not with me 3 miles later.  He was impressed by how fast I was getting smaller when he quit.  Again I was probably lucky.  Some of us were fortunate to survive our youth.

I'm not really cool with JQ Public attempting those speeds on the ground.  I'd had some driver training and was racing cars that were even faster than that and in hindsight I no longer think is was that smart an idea even if the car was designed for that speed.

54 over is more than a stretch or even careless.  It's fast enough to have had to be done on purpose and you have no margin for error at that point, yours or anyone else's who bumbles into the way.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The worst of them do! On more than one occasion I have seen idiots driving on an Interstate slow and come to a complete stop ON THE HIGHWAY IN A LANE. WTF????

Tom

Waiting for a break in traffic so they can turn from the hammer lane to the exit....way over there  ----->>>

duh

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Uncle Google didn;t have a quick answer for NJ.

Has to be PEBKAC. :D

Yes, it was.  "arrested" works a lot better than "locked up". :D

New Jersey Speeding & Motor Vehicle Points

In New Jersey, if you are driving in excess of 1-14 mph over the speed limit, it is a 2 point ticket. If you are driving 15-29 mph over the limit, it is a 4 point ticket. If you are driving 30 mph or more over the speed limit, it is a 5 point speeding violation. In addition, a police officer can issue a reckless driving ticket involving N.J.S.A. 39:4-96 where he believes that your speed was so high or excessive as to involve reckless driving. Reckless driving carries an additional 5 points. Therefore, if you are driving at an excessive speed, typically 30 mph or more over the speed limit or higher than 90 m.p.h, it is not uncommon that a state trooper or local police officer shall issue both the speeding summons and a reckless driving summons. If you accumulate 12 or more motor vehicle points on your New Jersey Drivers License, your license will be subject to suspension. It is, therefore, imperative that you consult with an attorney and defend a speeding ticket or speeding summons instead of permitting points to accumulate and deciding to defend yourself when it is too late.

Why Jail for Speeding Tickets in NJ?

Few are aware that for certain speeding offenses, the law specifically allows for a discretionary sentence of jail for speeding – up to a maximum of 15 days. Specifically, N.J.S.A. 39:4-104 reads as follows:

N.J.S.A. 39:4-104 – Violations of article; penalty

A person violating a section of this article shall, for each violation, be subject to a fine of not less than $50.00 or more than $200.00, or imprisonment for a period not exceeding 15 days, or both, except as herein otherwise provided.

Therefore, it is very important for egregious speed violators to be mindful that this could be a situation where jail for speeding would apply. Courts known to do this for all violations of speeding that involve speeds of 100 M.P.H. or more include Hamilton Township (Atlantic County) and Westampton Township (Burlington County).

Contact an attorney if you or someone close to you has been charged with a high-rate-of-speed violation to see how an attorney can help minimize the damage, avoid jail for speeding, and possibly even get the charge dismissed in certain cases.

I got stopped doing a bit over 80 in W.V. on route 19. I think the speed limit was 50. It was 3 AM, I was heading home from a southern work trip.

When the trooper saw that I wasn't drunk and raising hell he relaxed a bit. Told me that 30 over was supposed to be a trip to jail.

Dropped the speed to 72, and sent me on my way, with a warning about high speed and deer.

The ticket was about 40.00.