Strange noises coming from my bedroom

Square Wheels

We are hearing three quick beeps at what feels like random times. 

It sounds like a pager.  Neither my wife nor I have had a pager in many years, so it's not that. 

We have Nest smoke / CO2 detectors, they don't do that chirping thing.  They make an announcement, send us an email or display a yellow / red ring when the batteries are getting low.  None of this happens at night though.

We had a rechargeable phone in our room, along with a clock that had battery backup in it.  I took the slightly corroded batteries out of the clock.  I also took the clock and the phone out of the room.

I have no idea where this is coming from.  Happens every 10 - 15 hours, maybe more, but that feels about right.  It scares the crap out of me in the middle of the night.  It's not that loud, but our room is quiet and it wakes me when it goes off.

One of you smart people needs to fix this.

11 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Have you had any remodeling done lately? :blink:

Nope

10 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Do you have FiOS?

If so, check the battery backup.

Yup and it was beeping a couple of years ago.  They wanted $100 to replace the battery (which was in the basement).  They said it's needed for the FiOS phone system (which we don't have).  They replaced the "box" with a new one that didn't have a battery.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Do you have any watches or similar electronic that would beep if they were on a countdown or alarm mode?  Maybe in a drawer?

Only have two watches, they both live downstairs in the kitchen.  We have iPads / tablets, but those have been in the room for years.  We have nighttime mode on all of those.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Baby skunks behind the drywall. They chirp when they nurse. You must have a whole family of them in there.

Nope, it's definitely an electronic beep, three beeps.

• Heart 1

On another note, we were hearing random beeping that sounded like it was coming from one side of the house. Turns out it was our furnace trying to tell us something was amiss. The beeping was coming from the heater vent above the furnace. The igniter finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How has this not been turned into a parody thread yet?  

A real disappointment.  The Parody Meter is starting to get rusty from lack of use.  The needle requires constant smacking with the high definition pedal wrench just to get a reading.  Sad sad state of affairs.

image.png.86ea9b67fe8643e62611a977d93146e7.png

• Heart 1

It doesn't have to be something with batteries, just an electrical source.

Try this: Turn of the circuit breakers for the lights/outlets in the room - see if the beeping stops.  Yes - something using AC is the cause.  No - something with batteries or something outside the room is the cause.

10 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

It doesn't have to be something with batteries, just an electrical source.

Try this: Turn of the circuit breakers for the lights/outlets in the room - see if the beeping stops.  Yes - something using AC is the cause.  No - something with batteries or something outside the room is the cause.

Why would you come into a thread like this with useful, helpful advice?