Killjoy time...

Randomguy

RG, can we get the official 'Jumped the Shark" list.  It would be good to know that I'm not crossing the line.  We all know I don't like to cross the line.

So we have:

Seasonal air

H&B

Do you pee in the shower

I miss Dora

What are the rest of them.

Just now, Kzoo said:

What are the rest of them.

We have to keep innovating, otherwise we will die a slow and painful Rodale-style death.

Maybe once a year we trot the list out and beat it death like we do, then they go in the closet for another year.  Your list is good, perhaps you should be the keeper of it.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am adding seasonal air to the "jumped the shark" list.  It will go into the hall of fame with "hookers and blow", but I think it is played out.

I will give you season air is no longer funny.  Hookers and Blow should remain in the common useage though.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I agree with the 42, plus would add almost any quote from the Princess Bride, no matter how quotable they are.

I thought, based on the context of your OP, that we were limiting these to forum phrases.  I can't remember ever talking about the Princess Bride on this or any forum - even The OG.

Just now, Kzoo said:

I thought, based on the context of your OP, that we were limiting these to forum phrases.  I can't remember ever talking about the Princess Bride on this or any forum - even The OG.

We did talk about the PB on the other forum a bunch.  "Inconceivable" was the most used.  You are right, though, not as much of a regular as the air, the shower, and the rest.

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Hookers and Blow should remain in the common useage though.

I stopped using that when we all came here, feeling it was a LF phrase.  Kind of like when the Browns moved to Baltimore and left Cleveland with the Browns name, I suppose.  I still like it, though.

• Heart 1

On 11/22/2017 at 5:59 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Shirley Airplane!, Caddyshack, Office Space, and Blazing Saddles quotes are considered classic and can stay. :)

What an awful hat.  Guy wears a hat like that and he gets a free bowl of soup.

It looks good on YOU though.:huh:

• Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I wonder if "going pantless" should be added?

We are all gonna have to come up with some good new material, I think.

Good point!  I often worry that a lot of my references are from the 80s.  While I think it is marvelous, some updating would be apropos.  Yeah, that's the ticket! 

• Heart 1

On 22/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Randomguy said:

I am adding seasonal air to the "jumped the shark" list.  It will go into the hall of fame with "hookers and blow", but I think it is played out.

You are beyond satire & parroty my friend. The shark saying hasn't so much jumped the shark, but never really lived at all.

whereas the seasonal air is a timeless classic.

18 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

timeless classic

Classics are never truly timeless, though.  Each generation gets stuck on things that they consider such, yet generations that follow do not.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "The Sound of Music" come to mind for me, I feel these movies truly suck so much ass as to be unwatchable on many levels, yet are beloved by many who are unable to admit this and move on.  I personally love "The Wizard of Oz", but it seems as though the next generations are in agreement with my theory.

"Christmas Story" is an ok movie to watch once, but is tedious as hell when it comes on every damn year all the damn time around Christmas.  People get stuck, they make a big deal over tradition, and just never move on.  When it is time, it is time.  

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, Randomguy said:

Classics are never truly timeless, though.  Each generation gets stuck on things that they consider such, yet generations that follow do not.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "The Sound of Music" come to mind for me, I feel these movies truly suck so much ass as to be unwatchable on many levels, yet are beloved by many who are unable to admit this and move on.  I personally love "The Wizard of Oz", but it seems as though the next generations are in agreement with my theory.

"Christmas Story" is an ok movie to watch once, but is tedious as hell when it comes on every damn year all the damn time around Christmas.  People get stuck, they make a big deal over tradition, and just never move on.  When it is time, it is time.  

Whatever, just remember not to mix the winter & the summer airs in your tyres. Oh, do you ride a bike?

• Awesome 1

On 11/24/2017 at 11:34 AM, Randomguy said:

Never ever  put Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the same reference as The Sound of Music.  The Sound of Music is a classic, and the only good thing about Chitty Chitt Bang Bang is the reference to our fine four fendered friend.

51 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Never ever  put Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the same reference as The Sound of Music.  The Sound of Music is a classic, and the only good thing about Chitty Chitt Bang Bang is the reference to our fine four fendered friend.

See, I don't think Sound of Music is good at all.  In fact, I thought it was horrible from almost all perspectives, just gawdawful.  You really have a thin story (or lack of a story) that is completely bad from any angle, songs that drag on for decades, a reprehensible main character who is somehow the good guy in the end, and on and on.  What you do have in the plus column is Julie Andrews and great scenery and a lack of other good family movies. 

I understand that it is considered a classic, but I don't think it watchable after you have seen it once.  To me, a classic is something that you could watch many times and still stay engaged, and this movie just doesn't do that.  It is a big production with excellent actors and a genius Broadway team doing the music, and you just have fluff and nothing else.

I saw it as a kid, but didn't remember much.  I was really excited to see it as an adult because it was considered a classic, but it just didn't do anything for me.

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

RG, that's silly talk.  That movie was shown every year at my college with large turnouts and a Rocky Horror Show atmosphere with people quoting favorite lines en masse and singalongs.

See, there is another one!  RHPS is another that I saw and considered meritless. 

I would watch "Sound of Music" with you, although I would be the guy making food and fetching drinks for everyone else so they could try to enjoy it.

• Heart 1

This reminds me that when I lived in California a friend of mine had a Sound of Music party with themed food (and drinks referenced in the movie).  She even had a big Austrian flag for decorations.  Nobody has ever had a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang party. :nodhead:

And you can participate in one of my favorite parts of the movie - when the kids are singing their good night song.  At the very end, they are all on the balcony overlooking the great hall and all wave good night, and the whole group of partygoers waves back in unison.  If you're watching in a group, you have to wave back too.  :nodhead: