What should the Cleveland Browns do?

Randomguy

I like Hue Jackson, but just wonder if he is too beaten down by losing to continue on.  He doesn't seem to be making solid decisions, but I think he is a bit hamstrung by having a crap team and having to play players he doesn't want to. If he is fired, I would bet that Marv Lewis is fired by the Bengals and Jackson is hired to coach them, or is at least strongly considered.  The Bengals have floundered on offense since he left.

I also like the idea of the current front office to stockpile picks, and also find their reluctance to overdraft a QB they have questions about to be admirable.  It seems that they have erred too hard on the side of caution, though, I thought Wentz to be a solid prospect without too much bust in him.  Watson I thought was way more of a massive hit or massive bust guy, and am glad he is a hit, but at some point you have to take a chance.  I don't think Darnold or Rosen is worth the top pick, but I like Rosen better than Darnold at this point.  Kizer is not the guy, but they jammed him in there way before he was ready, and I think he will have to get ready somewhere else.  They blew that second round pick trying to get a bargain, but he was a bargain because of low accuracy and not winning enough at Notre Dame.

One more year is tempting for the sake of stability, but I think Jackson is massively frustrated with the front office and wants out.  I also think it is going to be hard for the Browns to attract the A-list coaching talent.  You can be sure that Belichick is going to tell McDaniels that he would be a fool to take the Browns job, for instance, at least not with the front office disarray.

They are already losing, so they can't really lose in a worse fashion (I hope), so I am thinking they will try to keep things together for another year (but probably shouldn't).

4 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

FWIW, they're not getting blown out too often this year. That's an improvement. How 'bout the return of Johnny Football . . . heh.

I think if they had kept McCown another year that they would end up with a few victories.  The defense is definitely better, and having Coleman back will help open some things up, and maybe Gordon will help, too.  They should start Duke Johnson and get rid of Crowell, that guy is only ok when the holes are big and obvious.

You are right that they have played some teams tough at points, they need to put it together a bit.  Someday, they will win a game, hopefully soon!

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

How long can a team flounder like this and still make a profit for the owners? 

You sell hope.  They are trying, and that is at least something, right?  I think they will sign some free agents and draft guys that are a bit more ready to contribute right away (except the quarterback) to convince the fans of the urgency to win.

I am usually gung-ho for football, but have felt a little ambivalent this year.  A lot of folks in Cleveland are probably starting to feel that way, too.

55 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

How long can a team flounder like this and still make a profit for the owners?

With the current TV contract?  forever.  With the potential of streaming sources that are lining up for the next TV contact (we will call it digital football content then) - Amazon, YouTube, Google, Twitter........? more than forever.  I'm sure that if they never but a butt in a seat they will still make money under the future contract.  And the value of the franchise will continue to go up - even in Cleveland (TMOTL).