Quote of the Day: O. Henry

Inspiration Bot

OK, I found a place for our next forum meetup, Austin!  So this as in the legacy section of Wikipedia, but no mention of the candy bar. :(

The O. Henry Pun-Off is a yearly spoken word competition that takes place every May at the O. Henry Museum in Austin, Texas.

Started in 1978, the Pun-Off gathers fans of wordplay to celebrate the pun, which English poet and literary critic John Dryden called "the lowest and most groveling kind of wit."[1] The event has been organized and run since 1990 by Austinite Gary Hallock. A support group of former and current contestants was formed in 1990 to formalize the unwritten rules of the competition(s) and provide guidance and support for future events. Under the umbrella title of "Punsters United Nearly Yearly" (a.k.a. PUNY) this collection of loosely knit wits continues to be the public face of the event through its website, Yahoo Group and Facebook page.

Participants in the annual event compete in one or both of the two areas of punning prowess: Punniest of Show, which features individuals performing a 90-second prepared piece filled with puns; and PunSlingers, which pits individual punsters in head-to-head bouts of spontaneous punning on a randomly selected variation of traditional topic themes.

12 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Because O. Henry wrote a story The Gift of the Magi , and the three gifts the Magi brought were gold, frankincense, and chocolate.

OK, is this like the This Old House game where I have to guess if you are bullshitting or not? :P

I think I call BS on this origination story below!  And while I'm at it, TK's story abpve too! :D

History[edit]

According to Nestle's site, Oh Henry! was originally named after a boy who frequented the Williamson company,flirting with the girls who made the candy.[1]

16 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

OK, I found a place for our next forum meetup, Austin!  So this as in the legacy section of Wikipedia, but no mention of the candy bar. :(

The O. Henry Pun-Off is a yearly spoken word competition that takes place every May at the O. Henry Museum in Austin, Texas.

Started in 1978, the Pun-Off gathers fans of wordplay to celebrate the pun, which English poet and literary critic John Dryden called "the lowest and most groveling kind of wit."[1] The event has been organized and run since 1990 by Austinite Gary Hallock. A support group of former and current contestants was formed in 1990 to formalize the unwritten rules of the competition(s) and provide guidance and support for future events. Under the umbrella title of "Punsters United Nearly Yearly" (a.k.a. PUNY) this collection of loosely knit wits continues to be the public face of the event through its website, Yahoo Group and Facebook page.

Participants in the annual event compete in one or both of the two areas of punning prowess: Punniest of Show, which features individuals performing a 90-second prepared piece filled with puns; and PunSlingers, which pits individual punsters in head-to-head bouts of spontaneous punning on a randomly selected variation of traditional topic themes.

As a former participant in both the first and second punic wars I should go and take part.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1