Actual Biblical Names

MickinMD

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It might be ok to be familiar with biblical names, but generally speaking, parents that only give out biblical names are freaks.  I have a cousin that got married to one and they had three kids, all with biblical names.  The family will not consort with non-christians.  

"Consort" in the biblical sense?

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It might be ok to be familiar with biblical names, but generally speaking, parents that only give out biblical names are freaks.  I have a cousin that got married to one and they had three kids, all with biblical names.  The family will not consort with non-christians.  

Note that most people's names in the USA tend be the English, Spanish, etc. versions of Biblical names: Michael, John, Mary, Joshua, Anna, Peter, Paul, etc.

My nephew attends a Catholic Elementary School and has religion class every day.  But they haven't taught "only Catholics can go to heaven" for a couple generations. I'm babysitting that nephew right now and he just told me about the Greek Myth of Persephone, whose father was Zeus and whose mother was Demeter goddess of the harvest. Hades, god of the underworld, kidnapped and married Persephone and Demeter was angry and want her daughter out of the underworld.  Finally, a compromise was reached where Persephone lived with Hades for half a year, then with her mother for half a year.  During the time Persephone is with her mother, Demeter is happy and the Earth is fruitful (Spring, Summer). During the half-year with Hades, Demeter is upset and the Earth's plants go into decline (Fall, Winter).  Of course, they didn't know about the Southern Hemisphere having the opposite seasons in Greece when they came up with that.

As far as shunning other religions, there have been older-generation people like that in my family but they're all passed away by now.  My sweet fraternal grandmother would never again speak to her elder daughter after she married a great guy because he wasn't Catholic.  My maternal grandmother was angry with her eldest daughter because she married a guy in a church that was a renegade Catholic church that stopped recognizing the Pope.  Eventually she reconciled to it, but the daughter of that marriage, my first cousin Dorothy, told me just last week that it took a long time for our grandmother to warm up to her: our grandmother had two grandchildren named Dorothy and she said to the Dorothy I talked to last week when she was a teenager, "I wanted the other Dorothy to be as smart and pretty as you because her parents were married in a Roman Catholic church and she deserved it!"  I was too young when she died and lived in a different state and didn't get to know that grandmother well and maybe I didn't miss out on much!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Note that most people's names in the USA tend be the English, Spanish, etc. versions of Biblical names: Michael, John, Mary, Joshua, Anna, Peter, Paul, etc.

Amazing how that tide is turning - maybe more so with baby girls than baby boys (top 20 of 2017 so far below). But here is a good source to spice things back up.

1 -    Emma -      Liam
2 -    Olivia -    Noah
3 -    Ava -       Logan
4 -    Isabella -  Lucas
5 -    Sophia -    Mason
6 -    Mia -       Oliver
7 -    Amelia -    Ethan
8 -    Charlotte - Elijah
9 -    Harper -    Aiden
10 -    Aria -     James
11 -    Ella -     Benjamin
12 -    Evelyn -   Sebastian
13 -    Abigail -  Jackson
14 -    Emily -    Alexander
15 -    Avery -    Jacob
16 -    Scarlett - Carter
17 -    Madison -  Jayden
18 -    Sofia -    Michael
19 -    Chloe -    Daniel
20 -    Lily -     William

Tom

1 minute ago, Slow_Guy_On_Bike said:

As far as Biblical names go, you have Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. What comes next?

The axe (Acts). After four of 'em, it needs to be cut. ;) :whistle:

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week. LOL!!

ignore me, I'm sleep depraved 

After Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John it’s time to switch gears and have a Lydia, Esther, Naomi, and Ruth

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1