Kind of like taking a knife to a gun fight

Chris...

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Isn't bear spray more effective?

That crap is only a gimmick... we tried it once and the bear was like... "Meh, I had worse" (I'm talking about the BIG ass bears up north, not the sissy ones in the south)

58 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

That crap is only a gimmick... we tried it once and the bear was like... "Meh, I had worse" (I'm talking about the BIG ass bears up north, not the sissy ones in the south)

UDAP is not a gimmick. Do you think you could take down a grizzly with your handgun?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

The numbers don't back up your statement. 

Around here, grizzly country, hunters carry bear spray. It's a good deterrent and shooting a grizzly is not cool. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Bears don't play.. this is also another reason I carry a 9mm on my side while bow hunting. 

Hope you have hollow points. I'd rather have a larger caliber for a bear, but the 9 probably has lighter recoil, so I'd think you'd get the best of both worlds.

19 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

Hope you have hollow points. I'd rather have a larger caliber for a bear, but the 9 probably has lighter recoil, so I'd think you'd get the best of both worlds.

I use eagle claws with the 9mm. I would happily use a .45, but I do not own one :)

21 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

It's why I carried an M&P 40 in Pittsburgh.  For the bears.  

I never understood why people hunt bears.  I have nothing against hunting for your food but I once had a friend prepare a bear burger for me and it was just plain awful.  Gamey and it has to be overcooked due to all the parasites.

DK

Just now, Dunning Kruger said:

It's why I carried an M&P 40 in Pittsburgh.  For the bears.  

I never understood why people hunt bears.  I have nothing against hunting for your food but I once had a friend prepare a bear burger for me and it was just plain awful.  Gamey and it has to be overcooked due to all the parasites.

DK

I had bear once as a kid and it was good.  However it was bear steaks.

The most important things  about any game animal are proper field dressing (to not contaminate the meat and spoil the taste) and proper seasoning prior to cooking.  I don't know about bear, but with vension, I always liked medium rare --but we'd marinate that meat for a 24-48 hours prior to grilling.

• Heart 1