The real key to weight loss

Square Wheels

Oh, if you're overweight, (most of us are), don't spend one penny on any stupid gimmicks.   I told you everything you need in the first sentence in the first post.

DO NOT go on a crash diet, that's a sure way to fail.  You didn't gain the weight overnight,  don't be whining and then quitting when you don't lose it overnight. 

For the record, neither this post nor this thread is aimed at anyone, except maybe me.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Shut your friggin pie hole.

You eat too damn much.  You eat too much garbage, too many processed foods, and not enough greens.

Stop walking around the block swigging your arms like it's an Olympic sport, that's just called walking.  It counts for nothing except transportation.  And Walking to donut shop to feed your cravings isn't exercise!

And speaking of cravings, we all get them.  Stop your damn whining like you've been blessed with an extra gene for craving crap food.  We all love it.  The food companies manufacture it to induce cravings.  That's why you crave it, you freaking moron.

Pies are not food, they are a treat to be enjoyed once or twice a year.  Not once or twice a day, or even a week.  Maybe every other month, but that's only if you're a glutton with no self control.

Cake is the ultimate treat, that's why you have it on your birthday.  Not everyone's birthday, but yours.  You are not obligated to eat that crap, just politely say no thank you.  Trust me, you can actually say that.

If you want to lose weight, it could not be more simple.  Eat less than you expend.  And stop the freakin whining!  Did I mention that part already?

Feel free to add your own helpful tips.

Nate?  Is that you? 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Pies are not food, they are a treat to be enjoyed once or twice a year.  Not once or twice a day, or even a week.

Now you just hold on for a minute there!  Let's just run with Mick's suggestion of 2000 calories per day, as it seems most reasonable and sensible, and it's a good round number besides.

The best pie in the world, pecan pie, has about 4200 calories in a whole pie.  A cup of vanilla ice cream has about 270 calories.

So, if over the course of a day I were to eat one-third of a pecan pie (~1700 calories) topped with a cup of ice cream (270 calories) I'd be about 1970 calories, which would still be a whole 30 calories under my goal of 2000 for the day.  If I wanted, I could even add, like, about 1.6 ounces of Pepsi and still break even.

It should work, shouldn't it?

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Now you just hold on for a minute there!  Let's just run with Mick's suggestion of 2000 calories per day, as it seems most reasonable and sensible, and it's a good round number besides.

The best pie in the world, pecan pie, has about 4200 calories in a whole pie.  A cup of vanilla ice cream has about 270 calories.

So, if over the course of a day I were to eat one-third of a pecan pie (~1700 calories) topped with a cup of ice cream (270 calories) I'd be about 1970 calories, which would still be a whole 30 calories under my goal of 2000 for the day.  If I wanted, I could even add, like, about 1.6 ounces of Pepsi and still break even.

It should work, shouldn't it?

I think you should try this diet for a month and see what happens!

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The tirade on eating only once a year is crazy talk.

But the rest of it sounds reasonable?  I once heard a talk show host claim it's not like he had a treat every month...  I saw a pick of him, amazingly fit.  Says he rock climbed, canoed, generally active outside.  He didn't live to eat.

Oh, and don't think that a good work out means you "need" to replace the calories, that's just stupid.  Do the workout, eat nothing.  You will not die.  I suspect the amazing workout you think you did is far less than what it actually was.

Sadly, the big dollars of the food industry have become so pervasive that it's impossible to ignore the enticements.  You have pro athletes peddling crap food like pizza and burgers.  Again, these are treats, not food.

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

All the crazy talk about pie and cake.

2,000 calories a day works out to 13 beers and a bag of chips. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I suspect the amazing workout you think you did is far less than what it actually was.

Back in '10 when even my fat pants were tight, I went on a push-away and exercise (more) program. I diligently checked labels, weighed and measured my food and logged my exercise. 

Wonder of wonders, I had been way underestimating my caloric intake and way over estimating the burn off from exercise. 

I also learned what it felt like to be no longer hungry, as opposed to eating until I was full. A difference, for me, of about 300 calories. 

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Shut your friggin pie hole.

You eat too damn much.  You eat too much garbage, too many processed foods, and not enough greens.

Stop walking around the block swigging your arms like it's an Olympic sport, that's just called walking.  It counts for nothing except transportation.  And Walking to donut shop to feed your cravings isn't exercise!

And speaking of cravings, we all get them.  Stop your damn whining like you've been blessed with an extra gene for craving crap food.  We all love it.  The food companies manufacture it to induce cravings.  That's why you crave it, you freaking moron.

Pies are not food, they are a treat to be enjoyed once or twice a year.  Not once or twice a day, or even a week.  Maybe every other month, but that's only if you're a glutton with no self control.

Cake is the ultimate treat, that's why you have it on your birthday.  Not everyone's birthday, but yours.  You are not obligated to eat that crap, just politely say no thank you.  Trust me, you can actually say that.

If you want to lose weight, it could not be more simple.  Eat less than you expend.  And stop the freakin whining!  Did I mention that part already?

Wow!! New found respect for Wheels!! Dang! I like it!! :wub:

Everything...in moderation....If you can't feed that craving now and then with...a little something...it can dominate your thoughts..have the little treat and move on...otherwise you might eat the entire pie.  The other piece of advice I remember is quality...if you are gonna splurge on the sweets or whatever...pick something well done..a favorite...a nice bakery sweet...and stay away from the twinkies and garbage mass produced stuff!!

22 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

If you can't feed that craving now and then with...a little something...it can dominate your thoughts..have the little treat and move on...otherwise you might eat the entire pie.

wrong, Wrong WRONG!!!

Never give in, you are not weak, you are strong.

Who says you need this crap?  Hostess does, Frito Lays does.  Mother nature did not invent that garbage, your body does not need it.

Once you remove these poisons from your life it will become simple to never crave them.

Would you give an alcoholic a beer, I mean just one, not like a whole case?  Of course not.

People are programmed to believe that we need and deserve this crap.  I'm tired of it.  We do not deserve to keep poisoning our bodies.  If I told you that gas station on the corner sold inferior gas with harmful particulate matter in it, you'd never put it in your car - your precious car, but if I told you that Twinkies had Trifloxystrobin or maybe Acetamipridin or Methoxyfenozide in it, emmm, eat up.

OK, I get that I combined eating pesticide poisons with overeating, but they are intertwined.

NO ONE DESERVES CRAP!  That's how we get and stay overweight.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Who says you need this crap?  Hostess does, Frito Lays does.  Mother nature did not invent that garbage, your body does not need it.

for what it's worth, PP did go on to recommend avoiding the processed stuff and selecting what I inferred to be a more "natural" treat.  I love a good bakery doughnut (but I generally pass when someone brings in Dunkin').

SW, you are right - in 2016 I bicycled over 1,000 miles and pretty much maintained my weight.  It was only the year before, when I rode the same amount but also focused on eating a lot less, that the pounds came off.  I've worked to maintain that weight and aside from a couple high (and low!) anomalies I have stayed within the same 5-pound range for the last 20 months.

(My wife said she is glad I'm no longer dieting - I was crabby a lot, apparently)

I do allow myself a splurge now and then, but I try to compensate for it after (or before, like eating lighter the day before a Thanksgiving gorging).  But some good habits persist, like eating a lighter lunch at work, and loading up on vegetables.... they certainly help me stay where I am.

But the rest of it sounds reasonable?  I once heard a talk show host claim it's not like he had a treat every month...  I saw a pick of him, amazingly fit.  Says he rock climbed, canoed, generally active outside.  He didn't live to eat.

Oh, and don't think that a good work out means you "need" to replace the calories, that's just stupid.  Do the workout, eat nothing.  You will not die.  I suspect the amazing workout you think you did is far less than what it actually was.

Sadly, the big dollars of the food industry have become so pervasive that it's impossible to ignore the enticements.  You have pro athletes peddling crap food like pizza and burgers.  Again, these are treats, not food.

Your point reminded me of the pervasive use of sports drinks in youth athletics.  Little Johnny just consumed 300 calories in that giant bottle of Gatorade while playing 30 minutes of soccer.... But the media has blasted it in our heads he needs it to perform at his optimal level.  

I had numerous fights with my son over Gatorade when he was little.  I refused to buy him the giant jugs and would get a small bottle to shut him up and water. Sports drinks are another giant scam.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Sports drinks are another giant scam.

Yes and no.  You're right, little Johnny does not need it playing youth soccer.  I got really dehydrated once and it was not fun.  Did a hilly century with just 4 bottles, that was not my intent, I meant to drink 7 or 8.  My heart rate would not come down, the tingles started in the fingers and progressed up my whole arm, I could barely walk to the tent to get help.  I thought they were going to haul me away to the ER.  It was miserable.

There are times during extreme sporting events that sport drink are required.  I usually drink water on short events, but if I'm going to be sweating a lot I've learned what my body needs.

If you are going to drink a sports drink, again, try and stay away from the crap.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes and no.  You're right, little Johnny does not need it playing youth soccer.  I got really dehydrated once and it was not fun.  Did a hilly century with just 4 bottles, that was not my intent, I meant to drink 7 or 8.  My heart rate would not come down, the tingles started in the fingers and progressed up my whole arm, I could barely walk to the tent to get help.  I thought they were going to haul me away to the ER.  It was miserable.

There are times during extreme sporting events that sport drink are required.  I usually drink water on short events, but if I'm going to be sweating a lot I've learned what my body needs.

If you are going to drink a sports drink, again, try and stay away from the crap.

I think it depend on the person, the conditions and their level of fitness.  Id modify my statement to, sports drinks are a giant scam but in some instances can help.

I trained for and ran 3 marathons on water. Seriously, only water no calories.  I rode numerous centuries on water but did eat food. I dont drink them during excersizes as they don't work for me.  They all seem to give me GI issues.

Under certain conditions for certain people they can help but I've never needed them.

• Heart 1

If it's a long ride on a really hot day I can drink all the water my stomach will hold and I will still end up with a wicked [pissa] headache later in the day.  With a bottle of Gatorade I don't get that headache.  This system isn't broken so I'm not going to fix it.

• Heart 2

Everyone is unique and needs to do what works for them. There is no one method for maintaining good health. 

I struggle to get enough calories during a race. I'm always looking for recipes to provide calories and are digestible while riding. I drink Scratch and love chocolate milk during a race. The last race I did had chocolate milk at the checkpoint. I was shoving them in my pockets. 

On a daily basis, I try to follow the Michael Pollan method of grocery shopping. Shop the exterior of the store. Produce, meat/fish, dairy. Avoid the stuff in cans and boxes. I do have a cereal addiction. Barbara's shredded spoonfuls are hard to resist. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Your point reminded me of the pervasive use of sports drinks in youth athletics.  Little Johnny just consumed 300 calories in that giant bottle of Gatorade while playing 30 minutes of soccer.... But the media has blasted it in our heads he needs it to perform at his optimal level.  

I had numerous fights with my son over Gatorade when he was little.  I refused to buy him the giant jugs and would get a small bottle to shut him up and water. Sports drinks are another giant scam.

I switched to water after many, many years of Gatorade (and then diluted Gatorade powder).  It made no difference in my performance on the bike, but did "cure" me of thinking I needed sugar water to properly exercise.  I will occasionally on a century add flavor to my water since the hose water is undrinkable to me.  I'd rather suck in the sugar water or an fake-sugar flavoring for one ride than dehydrate over six hours.

On the flip side, I read a story recently about a guy training for a best time in a HALF marathon. That's 1-2 hours of hard running, I guess, and his coach got him to simply NOT drink at all during the run. It saved him time and energy and he avoided the slight chaos in the water stations. He simply pre-hydrated a ton, drank a bottle before the start, and was fine.

Tom  

1 hour ago, dennis said:

n a daily basis, I try to follow the Michael Pollan method of grocery shopping. Shop the exterior of the store. Produce, meat/fish, dairy. Avoid the stuff in cans and boxes.

I think most of the grocery stores are on to this advise. The bakery is now on the exterior of most grocery stores around here as is the candy isle. Chips are on that exterior isle too.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I switched to water after many, many years of Gatorade (and then diluted Gatorade powder).  It made no difference in my performance on the bike, but did "cure" me of thinking I needed sugar water to properly exercise.  I will occasionally on a century add flavor to my water since the hose water is undrinkable to me.  I'd rather suck in the sugar water or an fake-sugar flavoring for one ride than dehydrate over six hours.

On the flip side, I read a story recently about a guy training for a best time in a HALF marathon. That's 1-2 hours of hard running, I guess, and his coach got him to simply NOT drink at all during the run. It saved him time and energy and he avoided the slight chaos in the water stations. He simply pre-hydrated a ton, drank a bottle before the start, and was fine.

Tom  

My rant was really geared towards youth athletics and the huge amounts of sports drinks kids consume for really minimal activity.  As kids we played harder for hours in the summer with nothing but water and survived just fine. But i saw parents buying enormous jugs of sports drink for a 1 hour baseball game or a youth soccer match. 10 year olds don't need that much.  

When my son was around 12 he was playing in a game and the temps were around 110 degrees.  I could tell by his behavior he was suffering a heat injury and I called out to the coach to pull him.  I started cooling him down and giving him cold water.  A mom in her infinite wisdom insisted I give him Gatorade. I said no, boy started bitching and mom was insistent so I said fine, but stand back as he's going to spew... chug chug chug..... red vomit everywhere.  I then told my son, dude, i know things ok. Please trust me.... He never bitched about wanting Gatorade after that.

For endurance athletes I agree they can help but on a 40 mile ride is a bottle of sports drink necessary? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

wrong, Wrong WRONG!!!

Never give in, you are not weak, you are strong.

Once you remove these poisons from your life it will become simple to never crave them.

Would you give an alcoholic a beer, I mean just one, not like a whole case?  Of course not.

People are programmed to believe that we need and deserve this crap.  I'm tired of it.  We do not deserve to keep poisoning our bodies.  If I told you that gas station on the corner sold inferior gas with harmful particulate matter in it, you'd never put it in your car - your precious car, but if I told you that Twinkies had Trifloxystrobin or maybe Acetamipridin or Methoxyfenozide in it, emmm, eat up.

OK, I get that I combined eating pesticide poisons with overeating, but they are intertwined.

NO ONE DESERVES CRAP!  That's how we get and stay overweight.

It seems someone might be a little cranky because he's hungry.  I think this video may contain a solution:

:P

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Not sure who your judgy tirade is meant for.  

We eat pretty healthy.  Also, I like to enjoy some sweets as well.  For sure it is more than once a month.  If you want to compare BMI numbers, I'd be happy to. 

Twinkies do not make it into our home.  I can make a beautiful homemade cake though.