For Random guy

Wilbur

The weather in Toronto was -10 degrees C with winds out of the south at 15 kts.  It was snowing heavily and night time.  While starting engines we experienced both a hot start and a start valve failure.  After completing the associated checklists, we had two successful starts, did the after start checklists and taxied to the central de-ice facility.  While there, we ran through the checklist for de-icing and configured the aircraft accordingly.  After deicing, we taxied to runway 23 and performed the taxi and before takeoff checklists.

On the takeoff roll and below decision speed, we had an engine fire so rejected takeoff on the runway and executed the memory items, followed by the engine fire before V1 checklist and rejected takeoff checklist.  After being repositioned to the takeoff point on 23, we commenced the next takeoff and climbed to 14,000 feet following a standard instrument departure.  This lead to a block airspace where we did some 45 degree bank turns and 3 stall recoveries in various configurations.

After that, we followed a standard instrument arrival procedure to Hamilton airport where we executed an LPV approach to minimums.  Once the power was reduced to idle in the landing flare, the controller told us to go around so we executed a missed approach.  During the missed, we had another engine fire so we ran the drills and checklists for that while fighting the fire and securing the engine.  We then ran the missed approach checklist and entered a holding pattern associated with the missed approach.  While in the hold, we ran the engine shut down checklist and started the engine out approach and landing checklist, checked the weather at a couple of airports and diverted back to Toronto.

We landed single engine with a hand flown approach in Toronto and taxied clear of the runway.  The sim was reset and we commenced a 600 RVR (1/8 mile visibility) takeoff.  We had a thrust reverser deploy so had to reject the takeoff.  After that, we were repositioned to the departure point where we commenced another low visibility takeoff this time, with an engine failure just past decision speed so accelerated on the remaining engine to rotation speed and flew an engine out departure.  This time we followed the Engine failure after V1 checklist, engine shutdown checklist, after takeoff checklist and engine relight checklist.  

The engine start was successful and we proceeded to fly a non precision approach to Toronto.  The last take off was in visual conditions and we experienced a flap failure and had to execute a flawless approach and landing.  Obviously, the checklists were also accomplished and we landed uneventfully again in Toronto where we taxied in and did the after landing checklist, shut down checklist and aircraft securing checklist.

The examiner signed my paperwork, wrote a new type rating and instrument rating in my license booklet and we all went home.  So goes a humdrum check ride. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The weather in Toronto was -10 degrees C with winds out of the south at 15 kts.  It was snowing heavily and night time.  While starting engines we experienced both a hot start and a start valve failure.  After completing the associated checklists, we had two successful starts, did the after start checklists and taxied to the central de-ice facility.  While there, we ran through the checklist for de-icing and configured the aircraft accordingly.  After deicing, we taxied to runway 23 and performed the taxi and before takeoff checklists.

On the takeoff roll and below decision speed, we had an engine fire so rejected takeoff on the runway and executed the memory items, followed by the engine fire before V1 checklist and rejected takeoff checklist.  After being repositioned to the takeoff point on 23, we commenced the next takeoff and climbed to 14,000 feet following a standard instrument departure.  This lead to a block airspace where we did some 45 degree bank turns and 3 stall recoveries in various configurations.

After that, we followed a standard instrument arrival procedure to Hamilton airport where we executed an LPV approach to minimums.  Once the power was reduced to idle in the landing flare, the controller told us to go around so we executed a missed approach.  During the missed, we had another engine fire so we ran the drills and checklists for that while fighting the fire and securing the engine.  We then ran the missed approach checklist and entered a holding pattern associated with the missed approach.  While in the hold, we ran the engine shut down checklist and started the engine out approach and landing checklist, checked the weather at a couple of airports and diverted back to Toronto.

We landed single engine with a hand flown approach in Toronto and taxied clear of the runway.  The sim was reset and we commenced a 600 RVR (1/8 mile visibility) takeoff.  We had a thrust reverser deploy so had to reject the takeoff.  After that, we were repositioned to the departure point where we commenced another low visibility takeoff this time, with an engine failure just past decision speed so accelerated on the remaining engine to rotation speed and flew an engine out departure.  This time we followed the Engine failure after V1 checklist, engine shutdown checklist, after takeoff checklist and engine relight checklist.  

The engine start was successful and we proceeded to fly a non precision approach to Toronto.  The last take off was in visual conditions and we experienced a flap failure and had to execute a flawless approach and landing.  Obviously, the checklists were also accomplished and we landed uneventfully again in Toronto where we taxied in and did the after landing checklist, shut down checklist and aircraft securing checklist.

The examiner signed my paperwork, wrote a new type rating and instrument rating in my license booklet and we all went home.  So goes a humdrum check ride. 

I call BS. There's no mention of unruly flight attendants.

9 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I don't know but this does sound like a lot of trouble to me. 

I mean apart from the obscene amount of money and the dalliances with the air hostesses.........is it worth it?

Pound for pound, I would rather have fuel than an air hostess. :)  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Oh, sweet in that case.

So, in the simulator, would you still rather have the fuel than the trolley dolly? And in the simulator is the trolley dolly real, or a bot?

I think you are genius pedalphile.  I bet bot dolly's would have much better personalities!  This is going in the suggestion box. 

• Heart 2