Concussion - the movie

Square Wheels

I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet.  

We went through that when my then 14 year old got knocked out cold from a clean hit playing hockey.  It was a really good sports doctor who had dealt with a lot of concussions and a good coach that made it a lot less stressful

I don't think I want to see the movie. In fact, I no longer watch any boxing, MMA or football.

I had a concussion and this is how creepy the lapsed brain can be:

My partner said that I kept repeating myself, my eyes wide open after the other cyclist knocked me down.  But I had no memory.  I lost my short term memory for several hrs.  No memory of being inside and transported by amubulance just 1 km. away from collision site. I woke up with enormous pain, on a spinal board in the bed, and my partner was bending over me asking me:  "when did your father die?" He was testing my memory,...as they had been trying an hr. before but I was not AWARE my eyes were open.  I said 2 wks. ago and then started to cry "and he's no longer around."  My partner and doctor were relieved:  my memory had returned.

Yes, my father had died after having had cancer for several years. Then I had my accident-concussion.  I was on disability leave for 6 months from work. I had to walk all over again without getting dizzy.

I really am truly against boxing and MMA. Hockey should have no fighting.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I don't think I want to see the movie. In fact, I no longer watch any boxing, MMA or football.

My partner said that I kept repeating myself, my eyes wide open after the other cyclist knocked me down.  But I had no memory.  I lost my short term memory for several hrs.  No memory of being inside and transported by amubulance just 1 km. away from collision site. I woke up with enormous pain, on a spinal board in the bed, and my partner was bending over me asking me:  "when did your father die?" He was testing my memory,...as they had been trying an hr. before but I was not AWARE my eyes were open.  I said 2 wks. ago and then started to cry "and he's no longer around."  My partner and doctor were relieved:  my memory had returned.

Yes, my father had died after having had cancer for several years. Then I had my accident-concussion.  I was on disability leave for 6 months from work. I had to walk all over again without getting dizzy.

My wife had similar issues after her bike crash.  She called me but had no recollection.  She doesn't remember that people helped her (called 9 1 1) as she has no record on her phone.  Her helmet was broken in 3 places. But she rebounded pretty quickly. When I got my concussion I was no good for over a week.

My partner was witness to my reactions after he heard the horrible crash behind him...when he was cycling about 10 metres ahead of me.

An off-duty police officer was there to help and another person who dealt with emergency situations. They knew I might be affected. Actually the fire dept. got there first, but could not do much. I don't recall any of this.  My partner did not entirely realize I was actually unconscious because I was talking, repeating ok, ok.

The first person in my family I asked my partner to phone in Ontario (We were in Vancouver), was my emergency medicine doctor-sister.  I knew I could trust her understand the circumstances and know how to tell other family members.  After my partner described the situation, sister fired off instructions by phone, to dearie:  No computer screen exposure for next few wks. Lots of bed rest. No movement if I can't handle without being dizzy.  All of this confirmed by other doctor in Vancouver, then Calgary when I went home.

If I lived solo, my recovery would have been much more complicated..though I do have a close friend here also (who also suffered a concussion when she fell on ice in the mountains).

My bike was taken by the fire dept. where my partner got it back from the fire station. It was damaged that it could not be biked.  The back wheel and fender...I think. It was just a bike..which is why I don't recall the details but we got it repaired.  I still ride this bike.

Well SW, your football team's star player had one of the all time worst cheap shots yesterday giving our defenseless player a concussion.

He will be fined and suspended, but probably for much too short a time. I'm not good at posting GIFs so if someone else can post it, I'd be glad. 

19 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Well SW, your football team's star player had one of the all time worst cheap shots yesterday giving our defenseless player a concussion.

He will be fined and suspended, but probably for much too short a time. I'm not good at posting GIFs so if someone else can post it, I'd be glad. 

I agree, it was sleazy.  He was held, it should have been pass interference.  You take it up with the ref, that's it.  If they suspended him for the rest of the season, that would be fine with me.  A cheap, sleazy play.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I agree, it was sleazy.  He was held, it should have been pass interference.  You take it up with the ref, that's it.  If they suspended him for the rest of the season, that would be fine with me.  A cheap, sleazy play.

Including the post-season. Let him have nine months to think about it.

But the NFL, like all sports, is entertainment, and that late hit was good TV. I'm thinking a fine, and some time to rest up for the playoffs.

Tom

Another Pats fan here.... I just saw the play for the first time.  He should have been ejected, and he should be suspended.

Whether he was upset about a pass interference non-call should not be a factor.  I am disappointed to see this.

Luckily it can't make the Pats haters hate them more than they already do.

13 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

He was given a one game suspension. Too lenient in my opinion, but there was a similar play earlier in the year - which I haven't seen - that also got a 1 game suspension for Mike Evans.

Big deal.  1 game against a team we don't need him for.  This was a cheap hit, he plays for the team I root for, and I think he should have been ejected and suspended for the rest of the season, including any playoff games.  This might cost us the super bowl, but so what.  That was uncalled for.

• Heart 1

Just now, Reverend_Maynard said:

I get the virtue signalling in this thread, but this talk of suspension for the rest of the season and beyond is ludicrous.  There's no precedent for anything close to that.

Maybe the NFL needs to set some precedent, not follow poor past decisions???

Tom

Just now, Reverend_Maynard said:

I get the virtue signalling in this thread, but this talk of suspension for the rest of the season and beyond is ludicrous.  There's no precedent for anything close to that.

Accused (never proven) of letting a little air out of the balls, the same balls used by both sides.  4 games.

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Your story and mine are similar. I crashed during my last race. I remember a few seconds in an ambulance but nothing after that for a few hours. I don't remember being in the ER at all. I cracked a rib and punctured a lung. Evidently I asked if I was having another heart attack about 50 times. 

I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have a helmet on. I have a helmet with MIPS 

Not only was he down and the play over, but he was out of bounds as well. Gronk doesn't have the same reputation as being a dirty player like Burfict or Suh, so 1 game should be quite sufficient. Nothing still matches Jim McMahon getting the pile driver by Green Bay's Charles Martin. It knocked McMahon out for the season. That guy should have never played again.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

1 game?  Sure, it was just a concussion.  I've had a few of those, they're no big deal, a few weeks, you're over it

No. Doctors experienced in dealing with patients who have concussions:   You never get "hardened" /tougher from a concussion.  The damage to the brain is cumulative..if you have multiple concussions.  lst one can be significant.

A friend of mine had a severe whiplash when she was rear-ended by another car.  It's the brain jostling suddenly and hard inside the skull.  Her head never hit anything.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

No. Doctors experienced in dealing with patients who have concussions:   You never get "hardened" /tougher from a concussion.  The damage to the brain is cumulative..if you have multiple concussions.  lst one can be significant.

A friend of mine had a severe whiplash when she was rear-ended by another car.  It's the brain jostling suddenly and hard inside the skull.  Her head never hit anything.

I think he was being sarcastic. But I can only assume.

14 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Not even remotely related.  The way you managed to get the facts wrong in a two sentence post tells me it's not worth discussing the issue, either.

Sorry, I don't get too caught up in the news, it's far too negative and I find myself to be happier when I simply ignore it.

I guess I was trying to point out that a Patriots player was "over-penalized" for something they were accused of doing.  Again, not memorizing the news, I thought Brady was removed from 4 games, a quarter of the season, for something he was never proven to have done.  You have made it clear that I was wrong.  Thank you for the education.