Hard Race Sat

Parr8hed

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I have told him time and again to shoulder the bike every time.  Not push it over obstacles.  Maybe he will listen to me more?

This was a relatively inexpensive lesson, in terms of personal cost and monetary cost, for him to learn that 'Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want - because you didn't listen to Dad.'

These small opportunities where you offer advice and he decides to follow it - or not - give G chance to make his own decisions and then accept the good and bad consequences, which is a good way to teach self-responsibility.  He'll learn your advice is to his own benefit and not just "Because I'm the Dad and I say so!".

Then, when it comes to something really important, like selecting a career or a college, buying a house, etc., he'll ask for your advice then.

And what's more, he'll listen too.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

G was stoked.  A couple of kids were not there Sat.  It was a pretty small field.  Very technical course.  Dry-ish.  Not nearly as muddy as the last course.  Really felt like it was his time to podium.  Watching him get so worked up made me happy and excited.

He started well, got to a log and didn't pick up the bike just dismounted and pushed the bike over.  In doing this he dropped a chain.  This made him mad.  It took him longer than usual to get the chain back on.  A lot of kids passed him.  This made him frustrated.  

He got it back on.  He started chasing.  This made me proud.  But he was chasing too hard and crashed like 3 times.  This made him really mad and frustrated.  

He finished, but way back in the pack.  He came across the line and was almost in tears.  This made me have many mixed emotions happy and sad.  Happy because my little buddy is getting really competitive now.  Sad because I don't want him to get worked up like that over "just a race".  

So after some hugs and reassuring words about "character, mental toughness, etc" and a quesadilla he was better.  Plus he got a new SRAM hat from some sponsors.  

His season is now over.  We will see where he ends up when the final standings are posted.  It was very hard to watch kids that he usually beats come across the line before him.  But it's also a learning experience.  I have told him time and again to shoulder the bike every time.  Not push it over obstacles.  Maybe he will listen to me more?  Who knows.....

Another tip is to let the bike down lightly.  Sometimes, if you drop it too hard, it may also lose the chain.  

The dreaded chain drop in a CX can turn everything into nothing, real fast.  

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

G was stoked.  A couple of kids were not there Sat.  It was a pretty small field.  Very technical course.  Dry-ish.  Not nearly as muddy as the last course.  Really felt like it was his time to podium.  Watching him get so worked up made me happy and excited.

He started well, got to a log and didn't pick up the bike just dismounted and pushed the bike over.  In doing this he dropped a chain.  This made him mad.  It took him longer than usual to get the chain back on.  A lot of kids passed him.  This made him frustrated.  

He got it back on.  He started chasing.  This made me proud.  But he was chasing too hard and crashed like 3 times.  This made him really mad and frustrated.  

He finished, but way back in the pack.  He came across the line and was almost in tears.  This made me have many mixed emotions happy and sad.  Happy because my little buddy is getting really competitive now.  Sad because I don't want him to get worked up like that over "just a race".  

So after some hugs and reassuring words about "character, mental toughness, etc" and a quesadilla he was better.  Plus he got a new SRAM hat from some sponsors.  

His season is now over.  We will see where he ends up when the final standings are posted.  It was very hard to watch kids that he usually beats come across the line before him.  But it's also a learning experience.  I have told him time and again to shoulder the bike every time.  Not push it over obstacles.  Maybe he will listen to me more?  Who knows.....

Thanks for the write up, Kirby!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Is your suggestion "conspiracy to contribute to the delinquency of a minor"?  Across state lines no less?  I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when the FBI comes looking for you......

The FBI is useless.  I read it in a Tweet so it must be true.

• Heart 2

On December 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Parr8hed said:

But it's also a learning experience.  I have told him time and again to shoulder the bike every time.  Not push it over obstacles.  Maybe he will listen to me more?  Who knows.....

It's a great learning experience. Take aways include: stuff happens in a race. Getting mad doesn't fix a dropped chain. Frustration is useless in catching people who passed you. Focus on the things that you can control. In the offseason I would incorporate shouldering the bike over obstacles to make it automatic. Rolling over obstacles is easy because you don't have to lift the bike. Build those muscles Gman. He also beat millions of kids who stayed home.

• Heart 2