Busy and sad weekend

jsharr

Left the office at 5 to head home and get both sons ready for campouts.  Ryan's Boy Scout troop was racing patrol built derby cars down a big hill at a local park.  Fun event they do every year.

Wade was nominated for membership in The Order of the Arrow, a service fraternity within Scouting.  His "ordeal" or membership process / serice project was this past weekend. Not only did he chose not to go, I think he is done with Scouting.  Not sure, but I think so.  I had the sad realization that many parents have that sometimes our dreams and desires for our kids are not the same at theirs.  It hurts, as I see how good Scouting is for him, even though he does not.

Saturday Wade and I got Christmas stuff down out of the attic and then we took Remi out to the camp ground to see Ryan and his troop race cars.  it was a good time.

Got home around 3 pm, watched a bit of football and then got the lights on the house.

Sunday I took the freezer in our pantry apart to unclog the defrost line.  Also cleaned out the coils and gave the inside a good cleaning while I had it apart.  Then I did a Friends of Scouting fundraising event for a local Boy Scout Troop and then had a committee meeting for our Cub Scout Pack.

When I got home, I put the freezer back together after letting it defrost, and then I fixed the flush valve seal on the front bathroom toilet.  It is some weird design with a seal on the bottom of a cylinder that sits against a seat.  Easy to repair once I had the right seal and knew how the valve worked.  Nothing at all like the old flapper valve.

Finally settled down around 7 pm last night with a big bowl of Martha's taco soup and a Dos Equis and watched a bit of Sunday night football.

Still need to put a few finishing touches on the lights outside, may get that done tonight.

• Heart 3

My Dad often used the "roots and wings" analysis, Aire. I always liked that imagery.

The main thing is that Wade finds what he enjoys, but it may be that scouting gave him the confidence to try new things.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

It has given him roots and now he needs wings.

That is my Moms saying too.  She used it with me when I joined a National Force as opposed to staying local.  She has brought it up again as my Daughter #2 is doing what she can to get permanent residency in Australia.  :(

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My Dad often used the "roots and wings" analysis, Aire. I always liked that imagery.

The main thing is that Wade finds what he enjoys, but it may be that scouting gave him the confidence to try new things.

It is funny, I have never heard that analogy before, but it is kind of awesome.

• Heart 1