So, it's that time of year again, Office/Company "Holiday" parties. Whatcha got?

2Far

Ours is Saturday night. Last year was a real snoozer. This year prolly about the same. We'll have BBQ catered in, an open bar, a passable DJ, no one will dance. Last year the boss gave away $100 bills in a drawing, 4 or 5 of them. It was awkward. It was my first one at this company. Wo2 & I sat at the "new" table with the other new guy & his wife. No one else sat with us or came over to chat while we were sitting there. We didn't stay late.

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Ours is Saturday night. Last year was a real snoozer. This year prolly about the same. We'll have BBQ catered in, an open bar, a passable DJ, no one will dance. Last year the boss gave away $100 bills in a drawing, 4 or 5 of them. It was awkward. It was my first one at this company. Wo2 & I sat at the "new" table with the other new guy & his wife. No one else sat with us or came over to chat while we were sitting there. We didn't stay late.

You have to go, maybe win $100.  You could sit with the new new guys and make them feel welcome.  You could also get lit up and dance.

• Heart 1

We just had one lunch with the gift grab bag.  I've got two more office related lunches in the next two weeks (each group does there own, and some people work with more than one group).  Then the cafeteria has one with beverages and dessert for the whole building.

I put the tea thermos in the grab bag and got nice sling bag/backpacky type bag.

• Heart 1

Ours is the 18th.  My first one so not sure what to expect but this is a good group so it should be fun.

My wife's holiday parties are cool.  The owner is really low key but also very generous.  Its a nice, intimate dinner with employees plus spouse/SO and he does some games with money attached and everyone comes away with something. Last year i walked away with $150! Some got upwards of $300.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I avoid them like RG avoids a steady job.

Me too. If they had them during office hours and gave away cash incentives, I'd go. But they don't and they hold them on the weekend and in places farther than a simple stroll from my home.

Tom

19 minutes ago, 12string said:

So Saturday was at a Country Club, guests included, semi formal, cocktail hour, nice dinner, bunch of nice door prizes (grand prize was a 55" 4K TV).  Very nice tribute to the retiring VP of HR, awards to the hard working social commitee, and the obligatory speech from the boss was short, complimentary to us, not him, and heartfelt.  A fun time was had by all!

Things are looking up around here.

That's kind of how my two previous companies were. Current HMFIC is kind of a low-key, country bumpkin (but very intelligent) kinda guy. I think he's rather be tailgating, than at a party.

My employer keeps pestering me about the company Christmas party. I keep making up excuses to avoid it like the plague. And he keeps changing the date to accommodate me. I fear I will need to pull him aside and find a polite, diplomatic way to tell him that he barely pays me enough to tolerate my coworkers during working hours. So there is no way in heck and no amount of alcohol that will make me do it during my free time. 

• Heart 1

Ours is the 19th.  Open bar, buffet meal, secret santa, etc.  I probably won't go as it coincides with the Patriots game and I usually have people over for that.

My MTB club was supposed to have theirs on 12/9 (this coming Saturday).  The place we were supposed to have it closed down this weekend without notice. :( Looks like we're having a post holiday party now. :D

There are only 5 of us, plus spouses.  We will do a dinner at a nice place with our wives next weekend.  It will be an early evening.  We are a tight group but what bonds us together is hard to talk about in front of others, so the conversation is a little stale.  I insist on a good restaurant because if I left it up to some we'd be eating at the cheapest restaurant in town and probably be sitting to eat at 5:30.  

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

My employer keeps pestering me about the company Christmas party. I keep making up excuses to avoid it like the plague. And he keeps changing the date to accommodate me. I fear I will need to pull him aside and find a polite, diplomatic way to tell him that he barely pays me enough to tolerate my coworkers during working hours. So there is no way in heck and no amount of alcohol that will make me do it during my free time. 

I have nothing in common with the people that I work with besides work and I deal with the nimrods 40+ hours a week so why would I want to see them more. The union has a separate Christmas party and I don't even go to that. 

Sometimes if I could avoid the big family gatherings I would. 

• Heart 2

I have to miss out on a large potluck luncheon at work during lunch hr. tomorrow. 

Then next wk. there's another mini spread for us just within our immediate dept.  Supposedly it includes secret Santa of stuff you normally would give away because you don't want it. I no longer like that type of stuff.

Another year, we went bowling. It was actually fun.

We are having some of our cycling group over Saturday night. BYOB and snacks. We miss hanging out in the off season. 

Company Christmas party is Dec 29 at a nice country club. Boss will pay for whatever we want from a decent menu. He doesn’t drink so we have to pay from the bar. 

A lot of years we go bowling after. Those who go have a good time. 

• Heart 1

This year the company is doing one large party instead of separate parties for the various groups. It's how it used to be until they divided things up. I work for a media company, and the parties back in the early 00's were pretty wild. I guess I'll make an appearance...

Email was just sent out to department employees. Reservation for 32 at Red Lobster on a Wednesday night. For entertainment, I read some of the reviews on Yelp. This is going to suck bigly. The silver lining is that I'm working until 3:30. Dinner is at 5:30. I have two hours to drink somewhere else.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Email was just sent out to department employees. Reservation for 32 at Red Lobster on a Wednesday night. For entertainment, I read some of the reviews on Yelp. This is going to suck bigly. The silver lining is that I'm working until 3:30. Dinner is at 5:30. I have two hours to drink somewhere else.

Red Lobster? Is the persons who made the choice, like 80 years old?

• Haha 1

OK. That was just puckin' nerfect. 

I arrive. 

It's dark. 

I call my boss. "Hey, I guess I didn't get the email?"  "Oh, man I'm sorry we canceled because of the weather. "  "OK, gee, thanks."

i guess the email server was broken or sumsuch. 

Prolly a good thing I'm not there on Monday. 

• Heart 1

There was a massive potluck at lunch...first time in past 6 years ever done by dept. for Christmas/festivities.. At work.  I only caught last 15 min. ...I had an interview elsewhere in the city. :whistle:  Apparently it turned out to be a surprise birthday greeting for head turning 50..  People dutifully sung happy b-day.  

There will be another smaller one but mid-manager is providing some basic food with a call-out for dessert donations.  Again another lunch.

I don't mind them but don't expect much...  I just chat with 1-4 people. That's all.

I really prefer to spend Christmas celebrations with people who I love/care lots.