Visitor on the front porch

Longjohn

So I got up while WOLJ was getting ready for work and I fixed the fire in the furnace and talked with her while she was packing her lunch. As she was about to leave to go to work I crawled back into bed.(retirement is nice). When she opened the door she closed it again and called for me to come and bring my phone. By the time I got there the skunk had moseyed off the porch and out into the darkness.

• Haha 1

Harriet the skunk is one of the animals that frequents our "feeding zone".  She shows up in some of the pics from the IR camera.  A few nights ago she was there at the same time as some of the deer and they were "sort of" coexisting with the food.  She doesn't seem to like their corn and they leave her alone to munch on the apples.

All the critters seem to be aware of "our" schedules for leaving and feeding so we rarely come in surprise contact.

The skunkiest time of the year seems to be the spring and early summer when the young wrestle with each other and learn to control themselves.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Our dog only got skunked one time when our son was home on leave and opened the door and let the dogs out at night without looking first. Not what you want to deal with when you should be sleeping.

OMG that is right. Oden the Shedder got it one night. Before I could catch him he had come in, through the house and jumped on the bed waking WoScrapr. Of course he  is "her" dog. So he goes over for comfort from her by laying on her. 

That was a bad night. He still smelled of skunk 6 months later

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

OMG that is right. Oden the Shedder got it one night. Before I could catch him he had come in, through the house and jumped on the bed waking WoScrapr. Of course he  is "her" dog. So he goes over for comfort from her by laying on her. 

But years later you can laugh about it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

But years later you can laugh about it.

He's lucky that WoScrapr didn't kill him. Wash all the bedding, clothes, rugs, towels, dog beds

He got about 3 scrub downs in the shower then put in the garage till the industrial strength dog wash opened

Penny the Red was smart enough not to go out so she was just an observer

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

One of our K9's tore a skunk up and I unknowingly walked through part of the kill zone getting the bottom of my boots skunked.  I had to chuck those boots, I couldn't keep them in my room they smelled so bad.

• Heart 1