HAHAHA. Dopey Commuter Cyclists :(

Razors Edge

...only get $20/month.  I get a $225 benefit for Metro and/or parking per month. OR, I could choose the $20 bike commuting benefit - to be spent on bike consumables. Yeah, I think I'll choose the $225.

From PeopleForBikes e-mail:

Over the weekend the U.S. Senate passed their version of a new tax bill that eliminates the $20-per-month bicycle commuter benefit. This is a tax-free reimbursement that employers can pay their employees for expenses related to bicycle commuting.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This seems shortsighted a bit, but then again, it would be better for everyone to be out of a car.  Plus, people are lazy, and most bike commuters will eventually be lazy enough or late enough or infirm enough to stop doing it regularly.

We can only pray that this happens sooner rather than later.

Shucks, up until recently, drivers could get $225/month to cover parking, and mass transit folks only got $120 or so. It was interesting to see people "vote" for infrastructure improvements (more roads) since their commute times continued to get worse and worse. It is strange that folks would think incentivizing driving would result in less traffic???

Tom

32 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

$225 a month won't go far if they're paying $30 one way tolls on I66 inside the beltway.

Which is funny. Guy I work with paid $24 coming in, probably the same going out, and $25 for parking yesterday. :D

On the flip side, Metro is definitely seeing an uptick in riders this week.  This is one way to "fix" Metro's budget squeeze.

Tom

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...only get $20/month.  I get a $225 benefit for Metro and/or parking per month. OR, I could choose the $20 bike commuting benefit - to be spent on bike consumables. Yeah, I think I'll choose the $225.

From PeopleForBikes e-mail:

Over the weekend the U.S. Senate passed their version of a new tax bill that eliminates the $20-per-month bicycle commuter benefit. This is a tax-free reimbursement that employers can pay their employees for expenses related to bicycle commuting.

Tom

WHAT?!

I think my company owes me about $6000!  They never gave me my $20 / month!

Stupid thing is, they'll reimburse gym fees if you go about 5x a month.  I bike almost every day, I get nothing.

56 minutes ago, 12string said:

WHAT?!

I think my company owes me about $6000!  They never gave me my $20 / month!

Stupid thing is, they'll reimburse gym fees if you go about 5x a month.  I bike almost every day, I get nothing.

Sucker!

28 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Nobody ever reimbursed my gym fees

Sucker!

Tom

We have some healthy incentives at work, but I don't qualify for them. I rarely qualify for the kick backs.  They don't give incentives for my biking.  The incentives are like, workout in the gym and get money.  However, to get the money you have to have a system that tracks your attendance amounts.  The front desk is often empty, making the tally system a pain in the ass.  Add to the fact that I only get one hour for lunch.  I barely have time to freshen up, let alone chase some asshole down to count my hours.  They don;t care about people being healthy.  If they did, the programs would be better. I suggested a card swipe or something, and it fell on deaf ears. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We have some healthy incentives at work, but I don't qualify for them. I rarely qualify for the kick backs.  They don't give incentives for my biking.  The incentives are like, workout in the gym and get money.  However, to get the money you have to have a system that tracks your attendance amounts.  The front desk is often empty, making the tally system a pain in the ass.  Add to the fact that I only get one hour for lunch.  I barely have time to freshen up, let alone chase some asshole down to count my hours.  They don;t care about people being healthy.  If they did, the programs would be better. I suggested a card swipe or something, and it fell on deaf ears. 

Another sucker!

This is getting ridiculous.

Please tell me you at least get the $225 per month!!!

Tom

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I suggested a card swipe or something, and it fell on deaf ears. 

My gym has a card swipe thing. It never helped me, my employer didn’t have any incentives. They came up with a plan where employees had 15 minutes of stretching before work that were on the clock. Evidently that made it look like they cared. The program was the biggest joke around. The 15 minutest before work were needed to get ready for work. If we did the stretching presses would have to shut down at shift change because we were not ready for the changeover. It would have cost them less money to pay for gym memberships but they didn’t want to hear it.

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nope.  I get nothing.

I do gain fitness.  :)

Why not get both like I do???

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My gym has a card swipe thing. It never helped me, my employer didn’t have any incentives.

Yeah, it is amazing that HR folks have jobs. I would think the company could work with the health insurance provider to sort out a set of incentives that would lower the costs, improve folks health, and be pretty straightforward to implement.  

Tom

• Heart 1