Does your spouse know how to work the remote controls and other technology?

Randomguy

The other night I was using my remote in the dark.  The channel up and down buttons are in the middle of the remote, "up" right above the "down".  I picked up the remote and started to flip thru the channels when I noticed the channels were going the opposite direction of the button I was pushing.  I would push the "up" and the channels went down and when I pushed "down", the channels went up.  

Later on, the problem magically corrected itself.  What do you think could have caused this strange electronic malfunction?

Mrs. Silly is tech challenged.  She doesn't know how to copy pictures from her camera to the computer. 

She'll ask how to do something on the computer then get mad at me when I show her.  The last time this happened was when she wanted to update our sheet with everyones phone number and address on it.  I did the original in Word by creating a table then making the grid lines white.  "NO!  I WANT IT IN COLUMNS!!" she exclaimed.  "Columns are a PIA to work with, use a table instead.  It is much easier"  I explained.  She said she'd work it out.  A half hour later she's asking me how to line stuff up by yelling from the other room. 

The other thing she'll do is go on a web site to do something.  Then she'll ask me how to find something on the site by yelling from the other room.  "HOW DO YOU GET TO THE SCREEN WHERE I PAY FOR THIS!?" she'll ask from the other room as if I've memorized every fucking website in the world.

The bottom line is that I hate doing computer work with Mrs. Silly.

No and it is frustrating! I work the remotes by feel most of the time. The 5 has a bump so I can tell what is what. I operate in the dark and  in bed quite well.

But if Gina gets a hold of it, it's toast! Just trying to change a channel with the light on, she'll erase channels, change the format, input, all kids of stuff.  The stereo remote with surround sound, forget about it!  :wacko:

I have a Logitech Harmony One remote.   Of course they don’t make that model any more.  But they have others.   http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes  If I remember.. . Amazon.com

You connect the remote to your computer.  On the Loigitech web page (or software on my computer can’t remember) I select all of the A/V suff I have,  and tell the software the various settings that are needed to for example “Watch TV”.   Repeat as necessary for the different ‘activities’ you have with your system.  Then all of that is downloaded into the remote.

WoBG just selects “Watch TV” on the remote.  The important part is she still needs to point the remote at the A/V equipment until the remote completely finishes sending all of the IR signals needed.   WoBG still as difficulties even with this.   But wait there is more….  With the remote there is the “Help” button.  Just press that and it will resend the IR signals and most of the time that solves the problem.

The buttons on the remote mimic just about all of the most comely used buttons on the real remotes, per activity.  Change an ‘activity’ (like “Watch a DVD” rather than “Watch TV”) and the buttons for   play, fast forward, pause, etc…  now work for the DVD player (which really is a Blue Ray player, but I left the tile as DVD for WoBG) rather than the DVR that is used for watching TV.

The remote, turns the needed equipment on, selects the correct inputs and settings on the A/V receiver, our plasma screen, etc…   When you press “Off” the remote turns all of the stuff of.   I your are “Watching TV”  if you want to watch a DVD (or Blue Ray) you just press “Watch DVD”.  The remote will turn of the equipment that is no longer needed, and turn on the Blue Ray player, and change the setting on the A/V receiver.

One of the best things I added to our “TV”  for WoBG.   She still calls all of our various components a TV.

Is it intuitive in the dark?

Yes, it rubs up against you seductively and spoons after you fondle it.

It lights up as soon as you pick it up including the buttons, not just the screen.  The buttons on the top are configured by you and as Bikeguy said you use your PC to configure it - and that's very simple.

You click one of the top buttons and it turns on all the right things.

It just works.