Wasting cash on eating out

Dirtyhip

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Waste not, want not!

Of course, dying with a pile of cash in the bank is also not real fun.  It's all about balance.

Tom

We are behind on saving, and we want to stop working earlier than most.  That means buckling down more than we have in the past.  We are not depriving ourselves.  We have a vacation coming up.  

Like most things people spend money on, it's a matter of priorities. A very good restaurant can be a treat and worth the money just like other entertainment can be worth it.  But there can also be a lot of mindless eating out where it's done just because people didn't plan in advance.  i think the real trick is to know what you're spending (and hopefully saving) and if you have any extra to make sure you're spending it on the things that will give you the most pleasure.  I'm not a big fan of eating out, but my Mom who spent her life working full time, going to graduate school while working and also cooking every night for her kids always considers it a treat and a special event.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are behind on saving, and we want to stop working earlier than most.  That means buckling down more than we have in the past.  We are not depriving ourselves.  We have a vacation coming up.  

I'm with you. Remember, though, the new way to do it is to retire NOW and go back to work when you are older and less able to do stuff.  When you are 85, barreling down a hill at 40mph is not a great idea, but at your present age it is FANTASTIC! Cut back too much and you'll just be pissed off you didn't spend your money when you could have.

Tom

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Chris... said:

Is it it wasting money if you enjoy It?

Possibly not, if you want to spend the money on it.  We were doing it once a week or so.  It needed to be cut back.  Once a month seems about right, if we are not traveling.  

Everyone has different tolerance with spending.  It feels wasteful to us to dine out so much.

I had a delish Bento yesterday. Off a food truck. I will go back there. I have not found a Bento that i like since "my guy" closed about 4 years ago. We did work on his house, I got free lunch. 

OTOH, the hawaiian joint down the street is decent. But $12-14 is way too much for me. The other day i stopped in to get rice only. $3.00. But they were giving me attitude because I asked to use the bathroom and only ordered the rice. Asked for Sweet Chili sauce. "Well, we don't usually do that". I won't usually come in

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm with you. Remember, though, the new way to do it is to retire NOW and go back to work when you are older and less able to do stuff.  When you are 85, barreling down a hill at 40mph is not a great idea, but at your present age it is FANTASTIC! Cut back too much and you'll just be pissed off you didn't spend your money when you could have.

Tom

Agreed.  This is why we want to cut husband's schedule.  2021 will be reduced down to 3/4 of the year.  We will still be somewhat young.

We can't afford to completely retire at our age.  Insurance is a big hitch in the plan. 

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

OTOH, the hawaiian joint down the street is decent. But $12-14 is way too much for me. The other day i stopped in to get rice only. $3.00. But they were giving me attitude because I asked to use the bathroom and only ordered the rice. Asked for Sweet Chili sauce. "Well, we don't usually do that". I won't usually come in

Rude.  You were a paying customer.  That might be the last time I bought rice from them. Lame.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Rude.  You were a paying customer.  That might be the last time I bought rice from them. Lame.

It's a hip trendy part of Portland. Pot shops on both sides, and a "glass" shop in the same building. I was at the phone store also in the same building. I forgot how expensive they were. I F'n tipped them too. I need to get back on my free lunch bunch deal

I always pack my own coffee for the road and pack my lunch.  Saves a bunch of $ annually as the $3 coffees don't seem like a bug deal until you realize you spent  $500 a year going to Starbucks 3 times a week...

My wife and I rarely eat out anymore either. My family just kinda expected Fri & Sat were dinner out nights and we were spending $200 a week feeding 5 people out twice a week.  As both our kids are adults, if we go out we just tell them WE are going out, YOU are on your own.

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Possibly not, if you want to spend the money on it.  We were doing it once a week or so.  It needed to be cut back.  Once a month seems about right, if we are not traveling.  

Everyone has different tolerance with spending.  It feels wasteful to us to dine out so much.

I’m not a fan of eating out. Not that I can’t afford it, I just don’t like it. Last time we ate out was Nov 3rd on our anniversary.  

Just now, ChrisL said:

I always pack my own coffee for the road and pack my lunch.  Saves a bunch of $ annually as the $3 coffees don't seem like a bug deal until you realize you spent  $500 a year going to Starbucks 3 times a week...

My wife and I rarely eat out anymore either. My family just kinda expected Fri & Sat were dinner out nights and we were spending $200 a week feeding 5 people out twice a week.  As both our kids are adults, if we go out we just tell them WE are going out, YOU are on your own.

I would do the $1.75 coffee near work.  Just a drip coffee in my own mug. It still adds up.  I would treat myself to it, and use the rewards money to offset the cost.  Now, we just take that coffee money and put it to our mortgage. We could pay off the house today, if we wanted.  Just letting it ride a while longer.  It's mostly principal payments these days.  No rush.  

1 minute ago, Chris... said:

I’m not a fan of eating out. Not that I can’t afford it, I just don’t like it. Last time we ate out was Nov 3rd on our anniversary.  

If you can cook well, you often end up disappointed.  Although, I can't cook mexican food like this one place does, so we do go there about once a month. It's authentic, low cost and really tasty. 

On vacation you don't really have much of a choice, unless you get a kitchen equipped place. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wasting cash on eating out

Crapola! I just realized you were talking about "cash". I don't use that, so I really can't waste it. Damn 20th century tech creeping into the new Millennium. The bitcoin thread had me temporarily thinking we had moved forward in time.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

That's what I did with my self financed sabbatical/mid life crisis at age 46. By age 47 was back reintegrated into the workforce with no regrets. Time off work was May1 to Sept 10 2009, and February 1 to July 15 2010 for my job search. Had a 6 month contract gig with my former employer as soon as I finished the cross country bike trip.

We're cutting back on restaurant meals, but not trying to ditch them completely. Partly for budget purposes and partly for diet purposes.

I like to eat out and experience new things.  It is fun and social and it keeps you feeling connected if you live in a foodie town, plus you can learn new things to try at home.  It also costs a fortune.  I would like to eat out twice a week, that seems a fine ratio to me.

When I was with the quarrelsome ex, we ate out at least ten meals a week, and not cheap meals, either.  Her little girl would order mussels and the like from the adult menu when she was 6 years old.  She would eat them, too, so at least she didn't waste meals.  Eating out was because the QE refused to cook, and in NYC, it would be easier and less time consuming to meet and eat rather than stopping at the grocery store, shopping, unpacking, and cooking. Laziness and stupidity overruled sense, wasted a ton of money.

Anyway, when you eat out more, food is more of an adventure.  It sucks the life right out of you going to the same damn restaurant over and over and never exploring readily available alternatives, or cooking the same damn thing over and over and over, also.  I like variety, but it has to mesh with common sense.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Crapola! I just realized you were talking about "cash". I don't use that, so I really can't waste it. Damn 20th century tech creeping into the new Millennium. The bitcoin thread had me temporarily thinking we had moved forward in time.

Tom

Semantics.

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

That's what I did with my self financed sabbatical/mid life crisis at age 46. By age 47 was back reintegrated into the workforce with no regrets. Time off work was May1 to Sept 10 2009, and February 1 to July 15 2010 for my job search. Had a 6 month contract gig with my former employer as soon as I finished the cross country bike trip.

We're cutting back on restaurant meals, but not trying to ditch them completely. Partly for budget purposes and partly for diet purposes.

I've been on a partial schedule for a couple years now.  I get lots of time off.  Lots.  

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Anyway, when you eat out more, food is more of an adventure.  It sucks the life right out of you going to the same damn restaurant over and over and never exploring readily available alternatives, or cooking the same damn thing over and over and over, also.  I like variety, but it has to mesh with common sense.

Our options are rather limited here for well prepared food.  I get more adventurous when traveling to other upscale areas.  

Kinda funny, but Oaktown is sad in regards to food.  There is one decent diner.  One. It's cool, we can make our own food, or splurge when we visit a bigger city, like Eugene.  Usually we have our traveling home, while we are there. 

• Heart 1

$20 in a month means great savings. I've spent $1133.53 in 2017, about $100/month, and even that represents cutting back on restaurants since I spent $1965.73 in 2014.  At least two hundred this year is due to not wanting to cook after my shoulder operation.

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

$20 in a month means great savings. I've spent $1133.53 in 2017, about $100/month, and even that represents cutting back on restaurants since I spent $1965.73 in 2014.  At least two hundred this year is due to not wanting to cook after my shoulder operation.

I discovered I couldn't peel potatoes with one arm. I went ahead and mashed them with the dog gone skins on.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Waste not, want not!

Of course, dying with a pile of cash in the bank is also not real fun.  

Since you don't know when you're going to die, you can't really plan it out.  So the responsible thing to do is die with cash in the bank.  Hard to predict just how much the last few years of life are going to cost.  Assisted living, in home care, all are expensive.  

I intend to die with plenty in the bank.  Happy to give my kids an inheritance and endow important causes.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Kirby said:

Like most things people spend money on, it's a matter of priorities. A very good restaurant can be a treat and worth the money just like other entertainment can be worth it.  But there can also be a lot of mindless eating out where it's done just because people didn't plan in advance.  i think the real trick is to know what you're spending (and hopefully saving) and if you have any extra to make sure you're spending it on the things that will give you the most pleasure.  I'm not a big fan of eating out, but my Mom who spent her life working full time, going to graduate school while working and also cooking every night for her kids always considers it a treat and a special event.

I have a friend who is single and has no children. She eats out all the time. She doesn't cook, she thinks her dishwasher has lost its seal because she seldom uses it.  But she's gained unnecessary weight as a result. I've hinted 1-2 times in last 6 yrs. since I've known her, that cooking one's own food is healthier.

I don't know how she saves money...because she drives her car a lot too daily.

Anyway, I am shocked by how much I spend on 1 daily coffee and snack. But it's hard for me to cut this out totally.  I did have a daily coffee when I was unemployed and looking for work several yrs. ago.  It was a treat for myself psychologically. I needed it after a 2 hr. bike ride. It kept me going to keeping on applying for jobs.  The coffee shop I patronize has discounted the coffee by 25% for employees. 

Which is what is happening now...looking for another job, though I am still employed, I could be booted out any time..

When I eat out, for lunch or dinner, best spent when it's with my partner or a friend. It's the company, chat in different surroundings plus trying different foods together, I normally wouldn't cook myself. That is generally the rule of thumb:  if I eat out, it needs to be food we don't prepare at home.  Otherwise, there's no point.

If we choose not to go out of town for vacation, then we will go to restaurant as a treat...and usually after/midway during a bike ride. :slow-dance-smiley:  Going out to restaurant is about 2-4 times per month.

Unlike Americans,  for retirement, when I save money it's for having home (which thankfully mortgage was paid last yr.), utilities, etc.  and incidentals , a trip outside of Canada. And way down the road nursing care near end of life.  I haven't heard personally, other Canadians think about saving for health insurance in retirement...they think at most, specialized drugs that aren't covered completely by public health insurance, physiotherapy, wheelchair, renovating a house for accessibility if needed, etc.

Just to give you an idea for my mother, we don't worry about health insurance. We worry about nursing home cost when the time comes.  

12 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

Since you don't know when you're going to die, you can't really plan it out.  So the responsible thing to do is die with cash in the bank.  Hard to predict just how much the last few years of life are going to cost.  Assisted living, in home care, all are expensive.  

I intend to die with plenty in the bank.  Happy to give my kids an inheritance and endow important causes.

Yep.  I certainly don't mind leaving my girls a little security.  

20 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Waste not, want not!

Of course, dying with a pile of cash in the bank is also not real fun.  It's all about balance.

Tom

I prefer to die with a pile of cash in the bank.  I almost never eat out anymore, but it isn't about the cost.  I'd just rather eat in and eat exactly what I want and in the exact quantities that I want.  The last time I ate out, my son and DIL took me to a restaurant where the food was good, but portions were ridiculous.  :o  No wonder so many people I see in restaurants are overweight.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, diagnosed Celiac.  Trying hard to be a vegan.  I've only had meat one week since April.  I also am not sure how I feel about honey.  Aside from that I've been a vegan most of the year.

I thought you were veganish for health reasons. The honey thing is ridiculous, exploitation of Bees, really?

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

Very true.

However, even according to my worst case scenario, I believe I have way more than enough stashed away.  What's kind of funny, though, is that I still think of spending money for stuff just like I did when I was a lot poorer.  I find myself still balking at spending a few pennies more for a product when I know I can get it a little cheaper somewhere else.  :)

Spending my money without concern for frugality is a hard habit for me to break.

27 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I thought you were veganish for health reasons.

Yes, partly.  I've always been a little grossed out about eating flesh.

27 minutes ago, Chris... said:

The honey thing is ridiculous, exploitation of Bees, really?

I've read statements like this in a few places.  True?  Sensationalized?  Not sure.  Without bees we all die.

Unethical practices

Claims that consuming honey helps the honey bee population thrive are not true. When farmers remove honey from a hive, they replace it with a sugar substitute which is significantly worse for the bees’ health since it lacks the essential nutrients, fats and vitamins of honey. The bees then exhaust themselves by working to replace the missing honey. During the removal of honey, the bees can die after stinging the farmers.

Honey bees are specifically bred to increase productivity. Already endangered, this selective breeding narrows the population gene pool and increases susceptibility to disease and large-scale die-offs. Diseases are also caused by importing different species of bees for use in hives.

17 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Very true.

However, even according to my worst case scenario, I believe I have way more than enough stashed away.  What's kind of funny, though, is that I still think of spending money for stuff just like I did when I was a lot poorer.  I find myself still balking at spending a few pennies more for a product when I know I can get it a little cheaper somewhere else.  :)

Spending my money without concern for frugality is a hard habit for me to break.

Had a discussion years ago with a customer. He told me he could buy a CD for $1 less at Best Buy and would I match the price? I explained why I would not match the price. I suggested he go to Best Buy and purchase it. 

His reply was "but they're sold out."

To which I said, "that's our price when we are sold out as well."

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I prefer to die with a pile of cash in the bank.  I almost never eat out anymore, but it isn't about the cost.  I'd just rather eat in and eat exactly what I want and in the exact quantities that I want.  The last time I ate out, my son and DIL took me to a restaurant where the food was good, but portions were ridiculous.  :o  No wonder so many people I see in restaurants are overweight.

Most restaurants will give you a receptacle to take your leftovers home.

• Heart 3

31 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes, partly.  I've always been a little grossed out about eating flesh.

I've read statements like this in a few places.  True?  Sensationalized?  Not sure.  Without bees we all die.

Unethical practices

Claims that consuming honey helps the honey bee population thrive are not true. When farmers remove honey from a hive, they replace it with a sugar substitute which is significantly worse for the bees’ health since it lacks the essential nutrients, fats and vitamins of honey. The bees then exhaust themselves by working to replace the missing honey. During the removal of honey, the bees can die after stinging the farmers.

Honey bees are specifically bred to increase productivity. Already endangered, this selective breeding narrows the population gene pool and increases susceptibility to disease and large-scale die-offs. Diseases are also caused by importing different species of bees for use in hives.

Bees are endangered.  We need bees to pollinate the veggie and fruit crops that we eat.  Without them, we all die.  These factors make it even more important to promote amateur beekeeping.  Extracting the honey is a part of keeping a thriving bee colony in your hive.  Beekeepers have told me that if you don't remove some of the honey, the colony runs out of space. They need space for their brood.  I've heard the term they used "honey bound."  

Beekeeping is a vital part of farming.  Like it or not, we need to keep them to help in the production of the food we eat.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Bees are endangered.  We need bees to pollinate the veggie and fruit crops that we eat.  Without them, we all die.  These factors make it even more important to promote amateur beekeeping.  Extracting the honey is a part of keeping a thriving bee colony in your hive.  Beekeepers have told me that if you don't remove some of the honey, the colony runs out of space. They need space for their brood.  I've heard the term they used "honey bound."  

Beekeeping is a vital part of farming.  Like it or not, we need to keep them to help in the production of the food we eat.  

My understanding as well.

Also, I've read that the northern migration of Africanized bees is a threat to all other bees.  They invade those colonies and eventually overtake them.  They are far less efficient and productive of doing the good work of other bees.  Thus underscoring the importance of organized beekeeping.  

Harvesting of honey has gone on forever.  Can't imagine it's harmful.  More lefty propaganda.  

Wait for the be kind to vegetables movement to take hold.  It will happen.

22 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you can cook well, you often end up disappointed.  Although, I can't cook mexican food like this one place does, so we do go there about once a month. It's authentic, low cost and really tasty. 

On vacation you don't really have much of a choice, unless you get a kitchen equipped place. 

Completely true. When we go out, my wife and I often rate a restaurant purely on whether it was better than we can do cooking ourselves. It is those restaurants that earn return visits.

Otherwise, eating out is a convenience thing. For example, it is hard to create a burrito bowl as quickly as Chipotle and a pretty fair "push" when balancing their cost vs our time & material cost to do the same.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Also, I've read that the northern migration of Africanized bees is a threat to all other bees.  They invade those colonies and eventually overtake them.  They are far less efficient and productive of doing the good work of other bees.  Thus underscoring the importance of organized beekeeping.  

Harvesting of honey has gone on forever.  Can't imagine it's harmful.  More lefty propaganda.  

Breatharians might become more common.  Although, that might help our population problem, so that's a good thing.  :D

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Thank god we have an expert on here! I was worried SW's inane honey policy was going to go unchallenged!

Tom

18 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

It seems doubtful that it would be lefty propaganda. Ever met a beekeeper/honey farmer? They're almost all lefties.

1 minute ago, dennis said:

It isn't lefty propaganda.

Yeah, I could have finished my post without that little jab.  Unnecessary, noncontributory.  I was mentally still over on the Politics forum.  I need to sharpen my mental gear shifting.  And no I don't know any beekeepers, but I do appreciate them.  

1 minute ago, Goat Geddah said:

Yeah, I could have finished my post without that little jab.  Unnecessary, noncontributory.  I was mentally still over on the Politics forum.  I need to sharpen my mental gear shifting.  And no I don't know any beekeepers, but I do appreciate them.  

No worries. It's part of what makes this place entertaining.

The publisher I worked for published a honey cookbook. I visited a lot of co-ops and some honey stores. They're all lefties. I went to one place that separated the honey using a bike. She delivered honey by bike as well. Her honey was harvested by neighborhood. Apparently it all had different flavors.