So, the Browns did some house cleaning today...

Randomguy

Fired the GM analog.  I am not sure how I feel about this.

He kind of did what he was tasked to do, which was to generate a lot of high picks in the draft and then draft a team for the future, not last year or this year.  He didn't mesh well with the coach, and didn't draft the quarterback or some of the players the coach wanted, though.  I am not sure about Hue Jackson as a coach, either, though.  He seemed like a good hire at the time, but when you win one game in two years, it is kind of hard to just blame the personnel.

They have done terribly in certain areas, plus had key injuries backed by zero depth.  I think if I were Haslam, I would have fired both or left both for one more year, knowing you are pissing off the fans a bit if you kept them.  However, he did promise them a few years at minimum to get things going, and two is not a few.

Discus.

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

It all hinges on Josh Gordon. He is the LeBron James of the Browns. If he can pick himself up out of the gutter, there's no reason the Browns can't win 10 games next year.

Well, a lot of the young guys are getting the growing pains out of the way and learning how to function in the NFL.  Unfortunately, they had only one steady veteran (Joe Thomas) on staff to be a mentor and not a coach, and he got hurt like almost all the major cogs did.  If (and only if) they strike gold with some NFL-ready guys in the early draft next year AND injuries aren't as much of a problem AND the picks of the last couple of years dramatically improve AND pick up some veteran leaders, then we could have a decent team.   A lot of ifs, you have already noticed.

Not sure what they are going to do for quarterback, they should ship Kizer off for a low pick because he doesn't look to be the guy.  It isn't like the Browns to pick up a veteran free agent like Cousins, though, I am sure they will pick a QB in round one and cross fingers.

2 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Hue Jackson's resume: Washington, Cincinnati, and Cleveland. I wouldn't hire him for dog catcher.

He was 8 - 8 as a head coach in Oakland, and the Bengals offense fell completely apart when he left, so he sounded like a decent choice at the time.  Not sure what he did in DC, though.

23 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

It all hinges on Josh Gordon. He is the LeBron James of the Browns. If he can pick himself up out of the gutter, there's no reason the Browns can't win 10 games next year.

I heard at lunch on sports radio that Sunday (his first game since 2014) he admitted that it was the first game he's played without being high.

The biggest things that keep the Browns down are Haslam's interference with operations/decisions and changing the coach and GM so often that draftees who fit one coach's concept don' fit the next coach's concept and important draft picks become disposable players in the wrong system.  For example, a 3-4 defense requires different combinations of strength and speed in its defensive ends and linebackers than a 4-3 defense.  The right guy in one can be the wrong guy in the other.

The old Browns, the Ravens, have had just two coaches since 1999.  That's the pattern with most usually-winning-record teams and I don't think it's just because of better coaches because former fired coaches like Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll found long service with new teams.

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

A little hyperbole never hurt. (And I like Josh. He played kid football and HS football with one of my sons. I really hope he can get it together. He's losing valuable years.)

• Heart 1