Are you Topper

Square Wheels

The Topper character shows up in Dilbert occasionally.  It makes me wonder if I am him at times.

When someone tells me something nice in their life I have a bad habit of giving an example in my life that mirrors their story.  I don't do it to try and be better.

Now I try and just listen and be happy for that person.

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

• Heart 1

We used to have a "topper" in the office. Total blow hard douche.  We now have a "I have a vaguely related story similar to that topic that I have already told it several times but will tell again" guy AND a "I have a vaguely related horror story to tell you about why you shouldn't ever do anything except cower in fear" guy.

Fun fun fun. I'm getting good at just getting up and leaving the room mid-story.

Tom

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We now have a "I have a vaguely related story similar to that topic that I have already told it several times but will tell again" guy

We use to have that guy.  He was a really nice guy, though, so we always politely listened to the same stories over and over again.   :)

53 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I try to not be a topper.  But I have so many cool STORIES!!

And I am a story teller.  I try not to be but I have done so many weird things that I seem to have a story for every occasion.  For some reason almost all my stories contain the phrase "And they were looking at me like I was an idiot"  :facepalm:

This is a problem for me, too.  I seek out off-beat interesting people who do weird things, so you often get roped into participating in weird things, too.  This means you have stories and experiences that many people haven't contemplated, let alone tried.  Then, because you have seen, participated, and accomplished weird things, normal things are more boring.  That means you have to see and do even weirder things to feed those novelty-seeking trait-clumps that you have in your brain, giving you even more stories.

I have to reign it in a lot in polite company.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Fun fun fun. I'm getting good at just getting up and leaving the room mid-story.

Tom

If you're feeling up for it, try this: speaking with some1 boring at a party or anything I'll interrupt them mid-sentence with Sorry, I just spotted some1 I actually like, and walk away.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The Topper character shows up in Dilbert occasionally.  It makes me wonder if I am him at times.

When someone tells me something nice in their life I have a bad habit of giving an example in my life that mirrors their story.  I don't do it to try and be better.

Now I try and just listen and be happy for that person.

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

I have a habit of doing that as well but not to top the person's story; I do it so we have a shared experience. 

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

No more topping.

So now I try to listen more closely and be happier for that person.

Bullshit, I overheard you at a party saying "There I was in Riyadh, standing naked in front of the mosque, drunk off my ass, and ejaculating live bees"

How the hell can that not help start a story war?***

***I saw the line "ejaculating live bees" while looking for something else, and haven't stopped laughing about it.

My annoying work neighbor had her azz handed to her by our sales guy for being a Topper.

The sales guy and I were coordinating a conf call with a prospective client in NY.  We had a 8 am time and I said Pacific right?  He confirmed and I said good because the company I came from was notorious for 8 am calls central time.  

Out waddles annoying neighbor "oh that's nothing, the company I came from scheduled 9 am calls eastern  and they are in New York!!!!"

Sales guy, OMG you do realize that's the same freaking time right!?!?!? Please mind your own business!