Who is going camping this weekend?

Digital_photog

30 now.  Warmest of the day.   Have camp set  Took a few pictures now cutting firewood for heat in the tent.  Snow should start in a few hours and forecast is about 5 inches this weekend.  May be able to post a few pictures later from the android tablet using the phone hotspot.  Low should be high teens or 20 overnight.  Will I survive? I only brought the sleeping bag rated to 0

• Heart 1

It's peaceful sitting in the tent.  A half mile walk from the house.  1/2 acre pond with Blue Racer Island in the middle. (named after the resident snake) and the trout stream behind the tent.  phone wifi hotspot and android tablet to post.  Snow coming and muzzleloader deer season opens in the morning.  I hope I wake up with everything covered in snow.  Have a nice supply of wood cut and much more just outside the tent.  Wood warms you twice.  Once when you cut and split it and again when you burn it. Snowshoes and Algonquin toboggan are ready to pack everything home.

20171208_162645.jpg

20171208_162654.jpg

20171208_162703.jpg

20171208_162712.jpg

20171208_162752.jpg

20171208_163228.jpg

20171208_163407.jpg

20171208_165817.jpg

20171208_165822.jpg

• Heart 1

Just now, Digital_photog said:

It's peaceful sitting in the tent.  A half mile walk from the house.  1/2 acre pond with Blue Racer Island in the middle. (named after the resident snake) and the trout stream behind the tent.  phone wifi hotspot and android tablet to post.  Snow coming and muzzleloader deer season opens in the morning.  I hope I wake up with everything covered in snow.  Have a nice supply of wood cut and much more just outside the tent.  Wood warms you twice.  Once when you cut and split it and again when you burn it. Snowshoes and Algonquin toboggan are ready to pack everything home.

20171208_162645.jpg

20171208_162654.jpg

20171208_162703.jpg

20171208_162712.jpg

20171208_162752.jpg

20171208_163228.jpg

20171208_163407.jpg

20171208_165817.jpg

20171208_165822.jpg

Tent in that kind of cold weather.  Oh, hell no.

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

No, but we also won't burn the forest down.  I'm cool with a propane heart and a thermostat.

We also use a little ceramic heater in the camper.  When you are at a campground, plugged in to shore power, it keeps the camper warm enough and you don't have to waste propane. Last trip we went on it got down to the upper 20's.  We didn't have the little heater, just the furnace in our camper.  Had to keep turning it up!  We were all sweating up in there!  

I absolutely love coming out of a toasty warm camper on a crisp 30 degree fall morning to start a faar and drink some coffee.  It's one of life's simple joys. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

We also use a little ceramic heater in the camper.  When you are at a campground, plugged in to shore power, it keeps the camper warm enough and you don't have to waste propane. Last trip we went on it got down to the upper 20's.  We didn't have the little heater, just the furnace in our camper.  Had to keep turning it up!  We were all sweating up in there!  

I absolutely love coming out of a toasty warm camper on a crisp 30 degree fall morning to start a faar and drink some coffee.  It's one of life's simple joys. 

We rarely if ever camp in a campground.  We just park it down by some river.  Campgrounds are expensive and crowded. 

I think your unit is much bigger than ours.  :D

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

@Dirtyhip  I did not start any forest fires.  I'm not a big fan of burning up in my tent.

Of course.  For us, it's more about the huge responsibility.  In the west, you must be really careful.  At night, you have to really make sure it is dead out.  That means carrying water from the river or hopefully, you have enough.  Fires just seem to be an enormous pain in the ass and dangerous.  One pop from the fire could potentially be devastating to a dry forest.

Honestly, I wish they would ban all open fires, if you are not in an improved campground with proper rings.  We don't camp in those places.  We often are just parked in a wide spot near a river or lake.  

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We rarely if ever camp in a campground.  We just park it down by some river.  Campgrounds are expensive and crowded. 

I think your unit is much bigger than ours.  :D

Of course.  For us, it's more about the huge responsibility.  In the west, you must be really careful.  At night, you have to really make sure it is dead out.  That means carrying water from the river or hopefully, you have enough.  Fires just seem to be an enormous pain in the ass and dangerous.  One pop from the fire could potentially be devastating to a dry forest.

Honestly, I wish they would ban all open fires, if you are not in an improved campground with proper rings.  We don't camp in those places.  We often are just parked in a wide spot near a river or lake.  

This was not an open fire.  It was a tiny indoor stove with a spark baffle in the fire box and a forest service approved spark arrester at the top of the 8.5 ft stovepipe. 1 meter by 1 meter fiberglass fire blanket under the stove.  18 inch x 24 inch aluminum heat reflector on top of the blanket.  24 x20 heat reflector behind the stove. Since the stove is 2 feet from the canvas the reflectors shouldn't be necessary but they don't weigh much for the extra safety and also help direct the heat where you need it.

DSC01893.jpg

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

This was not an open fire.  It was a tiny indoor stove with a spark baffle in the fire box and a forest service approved spark arrester at the top of the 8.5 ft stovepipe. 1 meter by 1 meter fiberglass fire blanket under the stove.  18 inch x 24 inch aluminum heat reflector on top of the blanket.  24 x20 heat reflector behind the stove. Since the stove is 2 feet from the canvas the reflectors shouldn't be necessary but they don't weigh much for the extra safety and also help direct the heat where you need it.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=2c8703aa0a096573imageproxy.php?img=&key=2c8703aa0a096573

DSC01893.jpgGla

Good for you, and I am glad you are having fun.  

You and I camp differently.  I turn on the thermostat.  You have a stove.  Our set up is easy and not complicated.  Setting up camp takes less than 10 minutes.  Park, pop up the trailer, and install the jacks.  Done.

If we had a camper that didn't pop up, it would be even easier.  I am a fan of keeping things simple and easy these days.  we are in the market for a solid camper, because the pop up is going to fall apart, since we use it so much.

• Heart 1

We had some nice snow over night and this morning.  Woke up at 4:45 and had to go out to pee so started the stove again and put the coffee on. With just the small fire I went back to sleep and when I  woke up at 6:45 the coffee was ready and still hot.  Stoked the fire backup and cooked the bacon and eggs.  Still snowing so played online for a while then went out and cut some more firewood and took pictures.   Finished the pot of coffee.  It was a good morning.  Now back at the house.  Won't be camping tonight.  Tomorrow morning is our grandchildrens Christmas program at church so need to get there early.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Good for you, and I am glad you are having fun.  

You and I camp differently.  I turn on the thermostat.  You have a stove.  Our set up is easy and not complicated.  Setting up camp takes less than 10 minutes.  Park, pop up the trailer, and install the jacks.  Done.

If we had a camper that didn't pop up, it would be even easier.  I am a fan of keeping things simple and easy these days.  we are in the market for a solid camper, because the pop up is going to fall apart, since we use it so much.

It took longer to pack everything the half mile into camp than it did to set up.  If we would have had snow yesterday I could have done it in one trip with the toboggan.  2 trips with the backpacks.  Summer camping is a lot lighter. I used to cold camp in the winter but as I get older the heat sure is nice.

Now for some morning pictures.  I like the picture of the camp across the pond.  When I got up this morning there were mallard ducks on the open area. Wild turkeys in the field 50 yards south of the camp  We have enough snow that the trip home was one load on the toboggan. Leaving the tent up to use again in a few days.  Temp was about 20F I was wearing the wool and cotton clothes I use for reenactment along with Lure of the North Anorak and Moccasins that I made from kits. The canvas anorak really cuts the wind.  When it is cold the down parka fits under it.  With layering these cloths  can easily be used down to -50  I was just using the windbreak layers for  +20.

It was a fun campout but too short.  Just got back from an hour fat bike ride.  @Dirtyhip when you are old and retired you can play like this too.  :nodhead:

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01913.jpg

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01918a.jpg

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, smudge said:

Sorry you didn't get more snow. Your camp looks good. And I'm totally diggin' that coat!

I didn't realize how.much shorter those bear paw snowshoes are than the others. That pic shows it pretty well.

Are those leg warmers, or are they part of the boots?

Those are the top of the moccasin kit that I made.  Moccasins are made with 1/2 inch think wool felt insoles and  wool felt pacs like in Sorel boots. Very warm. Comfortable too.  I made them custom fit to my feet.

The anorak is heavy canvas.  When it is cold it will fit over my EMS down parka.  Excellent wind breaker that is great by itself for temps like I had this weekend. With the parka and insulated pants this outfit should be good to -40 or lower.  Great for layering.

Check out their finished products, kits and patterns. I can highly recommend them.  I have started a pair of the mittens that I need to finish. Prices aren't bad when you consider the USA to Canadian exchange rate.

Lure of the North.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Your equipment looks old fashioned and vintage like.  Is that on purpose?  

when I have snow camped, I'm in a Sierra designs tent. 

This is one of the canvas tents I use for reenactments.  I do have some of the latest high tech stuff for backpacking and bike packing.  I have also learned that the "old fashioned' stuff  has some very real benefits for winter hot tent camping.  Yes, it is heavy and requires care to prevent mold and rot but you can't beat the warmth, fire and spark resistance, breathability,  Goretex is a modern light weight product but it still doesn't beat many of these older  natural products that have been in use for hundreds of year.

A cotton canvas is much safer around a hot stove.  One of the biggest reasons that they are so popular or winter hot tent camping. I could have a top of the line nylon tent for much less than a good winter canvas tent costs. This one in the pictures I made myself.  $240 in materials.  This tent as equipped is over $500 if you buy it. Many of the bigger ones can run $1000 to 2000 or even more if you want all the options and fancy stuff.

The design of this tent dates to about 1835. My wedge dates to per-revolutionary war,  My baker tent is one my great-grandparents used to travel in 1914, grandparents and parents used it on their honeymoons.  We used it on our honeymoon and still have it.  It was military surplus from the Spanish-American war.

Here it is at Rocky Island Lake in Ontario in 1956 My next younger brother and I are the 2 kids in the picture. In 1972 on our honeymoon were were camped about 100 miles north of this location using this tent.  With a stove it makes an excellent winter tent even if it is 125 years old. Wouldn't you and K like to join me in northern Ontario for a winter campout?  I have the tents and stoves.  You would need to bring your own skis, snowshoes and fat bikes.

LJM038.jpg

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

This is one of the canvas tents I use for reenactments.  I do have some of the latest high tech stuff for backpacking and bike packing.  I have also learned that the "old fashioned' stuff  has some very real benefits for winter hot tent camping.  Yes, it is heavy and requires care to prevent mold and rot but you can't beat the warmth, fire and spark resistance, breathability,  Goretex is a modern light weight product but it still doesn't beat many of these older  natural products that have been in use for hundreds of year.

A cotton canvas is much safer around a hot stove.  One of the biggest reasons that they are so popular or winter hot tent camping. I could have a top of the line nylon tent for much less than a good winter canvas tent costs. This one in the pictures I made myself.  $240 in materials.  This tent as equipped is over $500 if you buy it. Many of the bigger ones can run $1000 to 2000 or even more if you want all the options and fancy stuff.

The design of this tent dates to about 1835. My wedge dates to per-revolutionary war,  My baker tent is one my great-grandparents used to travel in 1914, grandparents and parents used it on their honeymoons.  We used it on our honeymoon and still have it.  It was military surplus from the Spanish-American war.

Here it is at Rocky Island Lake in Ontario in 1956 My next younger brother and I are the 2 kids in the picture. In 1972 on our honeymoon were were camped about 100 miles north of this location using this tent.  With a stove it makes an excellent winter tent even if it is 125 years old. Wouldn't you and K like to join me in northern Ontario for a winter campout?  I have the tents and stoves.  You would need to bring your own skis, snowshoes and fat bikes.

LJM038.jpg

Ah.  I figured it was something like a re-enactment of certain times.  

Interesting stuff.  I'd rather read about your trips, than do it myself.  Seems very cold.