Do You Change Clothes After Work?

ChrisL

At work, sometimes I am in business casual several times /yr. with dark jeans and tailored shirt or top. Other times, more formal, "career" in skirts, dress shoes, etc.

****But still I feel even more relaxed to change into home wear (from cycling clothing if I bike): ....I wear shorts, T-shirt....even in the coldest winter weeks when it's =25 degrees C. Yup. I like my shorts at home.  Wearing jeans at home is not fully comfortable to me or other casual pants with waistband.  If I always wear long leggings at home and never expose my leg skin, then my skin becomes even drier and flakes onto my dark pants.

I don't even wear slippers at home. I'm barefoot....even in winter.  And we get snow outside.

Back in the day when I worked I wore a work uniform with my name on the pocket. When I was done work for the day I would take off my uniform and put it in the dirty uniform locker and get a shower. Then I either put on a clean uniform to wear home or put on my bike clothes to ride home. I usually either worked second or third shift so I was usually going to bed when I got home.

There is a VERY good chance that I get blood on my work clothes every day.  We have one patient with the HIV, one with the hep B and several who got the hep C.  

You better believe I change my clothes when I get home.  Probably half the time I shower as well and get into gym shorts and a t shirt because usually I catch Emmy for her pitching drills as soon as she gets off the bus.  

• Heart 3

When I go to the gym after work, I shower there and put my work clothes back on. Slacks and button down shirts with dress shoes. Ties are for funerals and weddings. 

At home it’s T-shirts and pj bottoms or shorts. On weekends I wear my fancy T-Shirts. The ones I hang on hangers. 

Not a sweater guy, Lumberjack shirts or hoodies for me. 

Just now, BuffJim said:

When I go to the gym after work, I shower there and put my work clothes back on. Slacks and button down shirts with dress shoes. Ties are for funerals and weddings. 

At home it’s T-shirts and pj bottoms or shorts. On weekends I wear my fancy T-Shirts. The ones I hang on hangers. 

Not a sweater guy, Lumberjack shirts or hoodies for me. 

For church I wear my work clothes. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

There is a VERY good chance that I get blood on my work clothes every day.  We have one patient with the HIV, one with the hep B and several who got the hep C.  

You better believe I change my clothes when I get home.  Probably half the time I shower as well and get into gym shorts and a t shirt because usually I catch Emmy for her pitching drills as soon as she gets off the bus.  

Always give me the creeps when I see medical people in public with scrubs on. Though I must admit scrubs are sexy. Not on men though. 

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Always give me the creeps when I see medical people in public with scrubs on.

I agree though.  Scrubs are created to be worn at work.  Anyone that truly works in an acute area understands this.  OR, ICU, ER, etc.  When you see someone out in scrubs 99% of the time I feel like they are office staff or something like that.  It's kinda looked down upon in the industry.  Kinda like bad karma of wearing a race tshirt to a race prior to running it.

16 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

For church I wear my work clothes. 

I grew up always wearing a suit to church. When I an older teenager I decided I was not going to do that anymore. Some of the older men thought that wasn’t being “proper”. I told them at least I don’t go to church in my work clothes. They were business men and wore a suit to work everyday.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I agree though.  Scrubs are created to be worn at work.  Anyone that truly works in an acute area understands this.  OR, ICU, ER, etc.  When you see someone out in scrubs 99% of the time I feel like they are office staff or something like that.  It's kinda looked down upon in the industry.  Kinda like bad karma of wearing a race tshirt to a race prior to running it.

I'm not sure where your hospitals are located. But there are 4 major hospitals in downtown Toronto all within 1 km. radius --meaning each over 300-400 beds ...acute care, etc. The whole works. Seeing occasionally some people in scrubs or even nurses in uniform on the street, in stores, is not unusual since they may be off to get something to eat during their break. They maybe tired of the coffee shop/restaurant choice inside their hospital. Or just need to clear their head by going for a short walk.

One thing for certain, I don't wear pj bottoms during the day at home.  I never have.  It would feel to me psychologically that I never quite woke up from bed.

It's pathetic when going to a hotel and in morning, at the breakfast hotel rm., occasional adult guests come down in their pj's.  Stupid.  In all honesty, I would have children older than 3-5 yrs. old, also change into regular day clothing.  They  have to learn..early no matter what, even if they whine away.  (Actually most kids I see, look enthused to try the breakfast buffet.)

42 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm not sure where your hospitals are located. But there are 4 major hospitals in downtown Toronto all within 1 km. radius --meaning each over 300-400 beds ...acute care, etc. The whole works. Seeing occasionally some people in scrubs or even nurses in uniform on the street, in stores, is not unusual since they may be off to get something to eat during their break. They maybe tired of the coffee shop/restaurant choice inside their hospital. Or just need to clear their head by going for a short walk.

It happens.  Lots of people wear scrubs around.  But a lot of the acute areas people are not allowed to wear scrubs in/out.  They have to change there.  OR is a big one on this.  You almost never see true OR scrubs out.  This is done to keep OR germs in the OR and outside germs outside.  ICU can be like this in some places.  It is huge on oncology units.  Nobody wants outside germs in the bone marrow transplant unit.  I really dislike seeing hospital scrubs outside.  

Now the people that may work in the hospital, but in a sub-acute unit?  I am fine with them.  People that wear scrubs at offices, vets, etc?  That's fine.  Just no OR scubs out in public.  That's gross.  

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

It happens.  Lots of people wear scrubs around.  But a lot of the acute areas people are not allowed to wear scrubs in/out.  They have to change there.  OR is a big one on this.  You almost never see true OR scrubs out.  This is done to keep OR germs in the OR and outside germs outside.  ICU can be like this in some places.  It is huge on oncology units.  Nobody wants outside germs in the bone marrow transplant unit.  I really dislike seeing hospital scrubs outside.  

Now the people that may work in the hospital, but in a sub-acute unit?  I am fine with them.  People that wear scrubs at offices, vets, etc?  That's fine.  Just no OR scubs out in public.  That's gross.  

Sure, I was referring to clean uniform scrubs in general. But agree with the infection control mandatory procedures for certain units.

What boggles my mind is how "open" some the hospitals are where the patients are in bed.  Security is a big concern.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

What boggles my mind is how "open" some the hospitals are where the patients are in bed.  Security is a big concern.

It always amazed me when I worked for Koda.  I would just walk into any ICU in the state of Kentucky (plus a few in Indiana and West Virginia) and just start asking for things. I would just walk up into the nursing station and pull charts.  I RARELY got questioned.  Granted I was allowed to be there, but few people really knew that.  

When I first started working for KODA there was a dude that kinda took me under his wing.  He was well liked.  He told me the secret to going into an ICU in rural Kentucky where you have never been before.  The advice is kinda crass, but it works.  He said just walk in there like you have the biggest dick in Kentucky.  

There is something to that.  See if you walk in and act like you are confident and you have done this a million times then people rarely argue with you.  It is all in how you carry yourself.  When I would walk into a patient room (we rarely wore scrubs) I made a point to start with some techy talk with the nurses.  "What's his ICP? Does he breath over the vent? Does he have pupils?, Is he on pressors..."  Once they figure that you speak the language that instantly makes you more credible.  

But yea, it's very easy to just walk into an ICU.  

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This.  I absolutely hate wearing jeans around the house.  

Jeans are essentially all I wear, home and away.  Not sure I have any dress pants that fit, and I do not wear shorts except cycling or at the gym. Needing to work with the critters during day and night, dictates something other than shorts.  This was also true when I was working.

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

One thing for certain, I don't wear pj bottoms during the day at home.  I never have.  It would feel to me psychologically that I never quite woke up from bed.

It's pathetic when going to a hotel and in morning, at the breakfast hotel rm., occasional adult guests come down in their pj's.  Stupid.  In all honesty, I would have children older than 3-5 yrs. old, also change into regular day clothing.  They  have to learn..early no matter what, even if they whine away.  (Actually most kids I see, look enthused to try the breakfast buffet.)

I live in pajama bottoms, when I am at home. They are like my version of sweat pants. Fleeced warmth. Our home can be quite cold.